Lim x -> 0: Solve f(x) = (-1+e^x) / x

• Thread starter DemoniWaari
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the limit of a function using different methods, such as Taylor's series and l'Hopital's rule. The person seeking help was struggling to solve it on their own and appreciated the reminder of l'Hopital's rule.
DemoniWaari
Hey there, I was trying to check my calculations of one laplace tranformation and I needed to know a limit: f(x) = (-1+e^x) / x as x -> 0. And I can't seem to find the answer for this even though I try and try. So little help?

Oh I was just thinking that can you use taylor's series for this? Wolfram found some interesting series at x = 0 and I was thinking that it might give me the answer too, though I can't solve it either so help with that is greatly appreciated...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try l'Hopitals rule.

Or expand [itex]e^x[/itex] into its Taylor series.

Oh man of course l'Hopitals rule! Thanks for refreshing my memory!

1. What is the limit of f(x) as x approaches 0?

The limit of f(x) as x approaches 0 is undefined.

2. How do you solve for f(x) when x approaches 0?

To solve for f(x) when x approaches 0, we can use L'Hôpital's rule. This rule states that if the limit of f(x) as x approaches a is indeterminate (such as 0/0), we can take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator and then evaluate the limit again.

3. What is the value of f(x) at x = 0?

The value of f(x) at x = 0 is also undefined.

4. Can the limit of f(x) as x approaches 0 be solved without using L'Hôpital's rule?

No, the limit of f(x) as x approaches 0 cannot be solved without using L'Hôpital's rule or a similar method that involves taking the derivative of the function.

5. How does the function behave as x approaches 0 from the left and right?

As x approaches 0 from the left, the function approaches negative infinity. As x approaches 0 from the right, the function approaches positive infinity. This is because the numerator, (-1+e^x), approaches -1 from the left and 1 from the right, while the denominator, x, approaches 0 from both sides.