What motor to use for vaccum continuous operation (12V DC)

In summary, the researcher is looking for an alternative motor to use for a heat exhaust system for a data center. He is looking for something small, lightweight, and with strong air vacuum. He has tried squirrel cage exhaust and cover to fit 2" tubes but not enough power to suck air. He also tried an AC powered exhaust but found it too weak. The researcher is hoping that someone can help him find a better alternative.
rhyan
I need help on alternative motor that I can use for vacuum that can run continuously for 20 hours a day and it should be 12VDC powered.

Basically I am doing a heat exhaust system for a data center. I want to use small pipes so it won't be bulky about 1.5" and for that to work I think strong exhaust is needed since the pipe will run about 20-25 meters long. I thought of car vacuum cleaner and its power is strong enough to suck the hot air out. But I am worried that car vacuum will not last that long so can you help me with better alternative?? better vacuum or motor? or better exhaust system?

My requirements are
-the exhaust tube/pipe is only 1"-1.5" in diameter where hot air travels
-the tube/pipe is at least 20 meters long that hot air will travel to out side
-several heat source will be exhaust/vacuum, so strong air vacuum is required (car vacuum power is good but it won't last?)

I have tried squirrel cage exhaust and cover to fit 2" tube but not enough power to suck air. An AC powered exhaust is fine alternative if the design can generate enough vacuum.

Thanks a lot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Didn't see this thread before...

How much heat is being dissipated and what is the source of make-up air? A 1-1/2" pipe is insufficient even for a single PC. There is a reason the fan on the back of the PC is a minimum of 80mm (3") in diameter...

Last edited:
Thanks MarkhamCornoi! 400 Hours for vacuum life is definitely short for my application... I wonder how long those car vac last? anyone?

source are servers located at home. small pipe is not really the "typical" size for heat exhaust that's why I am doing this experiment that I hopefully make it work by using vacuum for a nice air flow. I just need something that can run for a long time without problem and has effective suction?

1. What is the ideal voltage for a motor for vacuum continuous operation?

For vacuum continuous operation, a 12V DC motor is generally recommended. This voltage is commonly used for vacuum cleaners and is suitable for continuous use without overheating.

2. What type of motor is best for vacuum continuous operation?

For vacuum continuous operation, a brushless DC motor is the most ideal. This type of motor is efficient, reliable, and doesn't have brushes that can wear out over time.

3. How do I determine the power requirements for a motor for vacuum continuous operation?

The power requirements for a motor for vacuum continuous operation depend on factors such as the size and weight of the vacuum, the type of surface being cleaned, and the desired suction power. It is best to consult the manufacturer's specifications for the vacuum to determine the appropriate power requirements for the motor.

4. Can I use a universal motor for vacuum continuous operation?

While universal motors can be used for vacuum cleaners, they are not recommended for continuous operation. These motors are typically used for smaller, handheld vacuums and may overheat if used continuously for extended periods of time.

5. What other factors should I consider when choosing a motor for vacuum continuous operation?

In addition to voltage and motor type, other factors to consider include the motor's speed, torque, and efficiency. It is also important to ensure that the motor is compatible with the vacuum's power source and that it has a long lifespan for continuous use.