Thermodynamics/Statistical Mechanics Probability Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses multiple questions regarding the probability of events in a box of volume V containing N molecules. The first question asks about the probability of finding all molecules in a portion of the container with a volume V/2. The second question involves calculating the probability of finding a certain number of molecules of two different types in a volume V. The final question asks for the probability of one sub-volume containing a certain number of molecules when a volume V is divided into M sub-volumes. The use of the equipartition theorem is not necessary for solving these problems.
cep

Homework Statement

On this problem set, there are multiple questions regarding the probability of events:

1. Consider a box of volume V containing N molecules. Assume that the molecules in the box are free of all interactions, that is, that the equation of state is that of an ideal gas.
(a) What is the probability of finding all the molecules in a portion of the container having a volume
V/2?
(b) If N=1023, what is the numerical value of this probability?

2. A volume V contains NA molecules of type A and NB molecules of type B. A valve is opened and M molecules flow out. What is the probability that among the M molecules there are mA of species A and mB of species B?

3. Suppose that a volume V is subdivided into M sub-volumes. Let there be N molecules in V. What is the probability that some one sub-volume will contain N’ molecules?

Homework Equations

Equipartition theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I missed class, and I know the material I missed was the equipartition theorem. I am unsure if these problems require application of the equipartition theorem, or if I can just logic at them. Conveniently, this lecture was taken from a textbook that was not assigned for the course. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really think an understanding of equipartition theorem is required further than what Wikipedia can provide. Just consider it a big statistical problem (you have no interactions) and should be okay.

They don't. They're just probability problems.

Cool, thanks guys :)

As a scientist, it is important to understand the material that you missed in class. The equipartition theorem is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, and it is likely that you will need to apply it to these problems. However, it is also possible to use logical reasoning to solve these problems, but it may be more difficult without a solid understanding of the equipartition theorem. I recommend reviewing the material on your own or seeking help from your instructor or classmates to better understand the concept before attempting these problems. It is important to have a strong understanding of all the concepts in your course in order to effectively solve problems and advance your knowledge in the field of science.

1. What is the difference between thermodynamics and statistical mechanics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of macroscopic systems, while statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of microscopic systems. Thermodynamics deals with the average behavior of a large number of particles, while statistical mechanics looks at the individual behavior of particles and how they contribute to the overall behavior of the system.

2. What is probability in the context of thermodynamics/statistical mechanics?

In the context of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, probability refers to the likelihood or chance that a certain state or event will occur in a system. It is used to describe the behavior of particles or systems that are constantly changing and interacting with each other.

3. What is the role of entropy in thermodynamics/statistical mechanics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is used to determine the direction of spontaneous processes and in statistical mechanics, it is used to calculate the probability of a certain state occurring in a system.

4. How does thermodynamics/statistical mechanics relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy and matter in a system. Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics provide a theoretical framework for understanding these laws and how they apply to different systems.

5. What are some practical applications of thermodynamics/statistical mechanics?

Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics have numerous practical applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology. They are used to design more efficient engines, predict the behavior of chemical reactions, and understand the behavior of biological systems at the molecular level, among other things.