Solutions for Shankar's Quantum Book

In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to self-study Quantum Mechanics using Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" and looking for solutions to the exercises. They mention a website with solutions up to chapter 5 and ask if anyone knows where to find all the solutions or just the answers for verification. They also discuss a website that may be helpful but does not cover the entire book, and wonder why the preface claims to have solutions for every problem. They suggest emailing the author for solutions.
Leo32
Hi,

I'm trying very hard to study Quantum Mechanics on my own using Shankar's "Principals of Quantum Mechanics".
Although the number of exercises is quite small, no answers are given.
Do any of you know of a site where I might verify my results ?

Greetz,
Leo

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Shankar Solutions

I'm also looking for them, or at least just the answers to verify mine, if anybody knows where to look please give me a heads up on it, thanks

Why does the preface of the book say a solution is provided to every problem when that's clearly not true?

-Mike

You could try e-mailing the author.

Anybody has his email? Maybe he meant it's possible to solve all the questions in the book!(??)

1. What is Shankar's Quantum Book?

Shankar's Quantum Book is a well-known textbook used in many introductory quantum mechanics courses. It was written by physicist Ramamurti Shankar and covers the fundamental concepts and mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics.

2. What topics are covered in Shankar's Quantum Book?

The book covers a wide range of topics in quantum mechanics, including wave-particle duality, Schrödinger's equation, the uncertainty principle, quantum measurement, and many others. It also includes discussions on the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics.

3. Is Shankar's Quantum Book suitable for beginners?

While the book is considered an introductory text, it does assume a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra. It may be challenging for those without a strong mathematical background, but with dedication and effort, it can be a valuable resource for beginners.

4. Are there any supplemental materials available for Shankar's Quantum Book?

Yes, there are several online resources available, such as video lectures, problem sets, and solutions, to supplement the material in the book. Additionally, many universities provide lecture notes and practice problems for their students using Shankar's book.

5. Is Shankar's Quantum Book widely used in the scientific community?

Yes, Shankar's Quantum Book is a highly respected and widely used textbook in the scientific community. It is often recommended by professors and used in undergraduate and graduate-level quantum mechanics courses in universities around the world.