Help! Electric Field in Sphere with Uniform Charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the magnitude of the electric field in different regions and determining the induced charge on the inner and outer surfaces of a hollow sphere with a uniform charge density and a total charge. The conversation also mentions the use of Gauss's law for electric field and the concern about dimensions when considering the uniform charge and the use of surface area in Gauss's law. It is mentioned that the inner sphere being an insulator has no effect on the electric field. The solution is found by substituting the correct charge values and using the formula E=qin/(4πr2ε0). The conversation ends with a question about how to find the induced charges on the inner and outer surfaces, which is yet to be answered
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

A solid, insulating sphere of radius a has a uniform charge density of ρ and a total charge of Q. Concentric with this sphere is an uncharged, conducting hollow sphere whose inner and outer radii are b and c, as shown.

p24-57.gif
A). Find the magnitude of the electric field in the following regions:

r < a (Use the following as necessary: ρ, ε0, and r.)

a < r < b

b < r < c

r > cB). Determine the induced charge per unit area on the inner and outer surfaces of the hollow sphere.

Homework Equations

Gauss's law for electric field (?):

E∫dA = (q in) / (ε0)

E = ke q / r2

E = 0 inside a CONDUCTOR

q = σdA (surface area?)

q = ρdV (volume? )

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just concerned about the first part r< a and hopefully I will understand the restThis is just really tough for me... so many things I need to look out for and it is really confusing.

It is confusing when thinking about dimensions as the uniform charge is concerned with volume ( q = ρdV) yet I thought Gauss's Law ( flux = E ∫ dA ) was just concerned with 2D surface area only. Or am I missing something? Also I am not sure how the inner sphere, being an insulator, has any affect on the electric field.So...

for r < a, the electric field is not 0 and so

E ∫ dA = q in / ε0

E (4πr2) = q in / ε0

E = q in / (4πr2ε0)

which turns out wrong for r < a. It is still wrong even when I substitute q in as pV.

Physics news on Phys.org

Let me try

I think you were doing fine but substituted the wrong charge:

Q=ρV=ρ((4/3)πa3) therefor ρ=Q/((4/3)πa3)
for the new volume inside the sphere then q=ρ/((4/3)πr3)
if you substitute those to what you found then you get E = q in / (4πr2ε0) = ρ((4/3)πr3)/(4πr2ε0)
this equals ρr/3ε0 and if you substitute for ρ then Q/((4/3)πa3)r/3ε0 = Qr/(4/3)πa30 which equals Qr/4πε0a3

Last edited:

Also I am not sure how the inner sphere, being an insulator, has any affect on the electric field.

If, for example, the inner sphere was a conductor, it would be impossible to have a uniform charge density (as then the electric field inside the sphere would not be zero). This is the only reason they're stressing that it is an insulator

I got all the answers to it now, thanks for your help.

How would I go about finding the induced charges now? How would I start?

To solve this problem, you will need to use Gauss's Law for electric field, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space (ε0). In this case, the closed surface will be a spherical surface with radius r, centered at the center of the sphere.

For r < a:
Since the electric field inside a conductor is always zero, the electric field at any point inside the solid sphere (r < a) will be zero. This is because the conducting hollow sphere shields the electric field inside the solid sphere. Therefore, for this region, the electric field is 0.

For a < r < b:
To find the electric field in this region, we will use Gauss's Law. The Gaussian surface will be a spherical surface with radius r, centered at the center of the sphere. The enclosed charge will be the charge of the solid sphere, which is Q. Therefore, the electric field can be calculated as:

E ∫ dA = Q/ε0

E (4πr2) = Q/ε0

E = Q / (4πε0r2)

Substituting Q = ρ(4/3)πa3, we get:

E = ρa3 / (3ε0r2)

For b < r < c:
Similar to the previous case, we use Gauss's Law to calculate the electric field in this region. The Gaussian surface will be a spherical surface with radius r, centered at the center of the sphere. The enclosed charge will be the charge of the solid sphere, which is Q, minus the charge of the hollow sphere, which is 0 since it is uncharged. Therefore, the electric field can be calculated as:

E ∫ dA = Q/ε0

E (4πr2) = Q/ε0

E = Q / (4πε0r2)

Substituting Q = ρ(4/3)πb3, we get:

E = ρb3 / (3ε0r2)

For r > c:
In this region, the electric field is only due to the charge of the solid sphere, since the hollow sphere does not contribute to the electric field. Therefore, the electric field can be calculated as:

E ∫ dA = Q/ε0

E (4πr2) = Q/ε

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged objects. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and it describes the force that a charged particle would experience if placed in that field.

2. How is the electric field in a sphere with uniform charge calculated?

The electric field in a sphere with uniform charge is calculated by using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. What is the difference between a uniform and non-uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field has the same strength and direction at every point, while a non-uniform electric field has varying strength and/or direction at different points. In a sphere with uniform charge, the electric field will be the same at any point on the surface of the sphere.

4. How does the electric field change with distance from the center of the sphere?

The electric field in a sphere with uniform charge decreases with distance from the center of the sphere. As the distance increases, the electric field becomes weaker due to the inverse square relationship between the field and the distance.

5. What is the significance of the electric field in a sphere with uniform charge?

The electric field in a sphere with uniform charge is important because it helps us understand how electrically charged particles interact with each other. It also allows us to calculate the force that a charged particle would experience in that field, which is crucial in many applications such as electronics and electromagnetism.