Is it safe to use electronics on a maglev train or a magnetically levitated bed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the safety of bringing electronics, specifically a laptop, aboard a Maglev train due to the strong magnetic force required for levitation. The conversation also mentions the potential risks of using a magnetically levitated bed and the effects of magnetic fields on electronic devices. It is noted that while magnets used to be a concern for electronic media, modern technology has become more shielded. However, there is some debate about the potential health effects of exposure to magnetic fields.
mthoma3
Forgive me for being slow;
We have always been told to keep magnets away from electronics, especially computers.
Some places in the world have these Maglev trains, and it would seem to me that the magnetic force required to levitate 200 tons would destroy any electronics you would bring aboard, would it be safe to bring a laptop on a maglev train?

If assumed safe to have a computer on a maglev train. What about a bed. I just read this article about a bed levitated on magnets; http://dvice.com/archives/2012/05/maglev-bed-lets.php

Obviously it required less force to levitate a 200 pound bed than a 200 ton train, but in the bed you would also be closer to the magnets, how close could you be to a magnet before you would damage i.e. computer. Could you lie in bed with your laptop?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Maglev trains typically shield their magnets - not heard about the bed. That would be this one?

Magnets used to be a big problem with magnetic media - we no longer use floppies and HDDs are pretty well shielded these days so it's not such an issue.

Moving about in a magnetic fields will induce currents in conductors on your person, which can be quite large depending on the field and the type of movement involved. I doubt the magnetically levitated bed would be good for any pacemakers for eg. Roll over in your sleep and get a heart attack... as for low fields: you realize that pretty much all electrical equipment have their own right?

I notice that if you casually google about health effects of magnetic fields you get an amazing amount of pseudoscience.

1. What is the "area of effect" from magnets?

The "area of effect" or magnetic field of a magnet refers to the region in which its magnetic force can be felt. It extends from the surface of the magnet to its surrounding environment and can vary in size depending on the strength of the magnet.

2. How is the area of effect from magnets measured?

The area of effect from magnets is typically measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). These units indicate the strength of the magnetic field at a certain distance from the magnet. The greater the distance from the magnet, the weaker the magnetic field will be.

3. What factors affect the size of the area of effect from magnets?

The size of the area of effect from magnets can be influenced by several factors, including the strength of the magnet, the shape and size of the magnet, and the surrounding materials. Other factors such as temperature and electric currents can also impact the magnetic field.

4. Can the area of effect from magnets be manipulated?

Yes, the area of effect from magnets can be manipulated by changing the strength of the magnet, altering its shape, or using other magnets to either strengthen or weaken the magnetic field. This manipulation is often used in various industries and technology, such as in MRI machines and magnetic levitation trains.

5. What are some common applications of the area of effect from magnets?

The area of effect from magnets has a wide range of applications in various industries. It is commonly used in electronics, motors, generators, and medical equipment. It is also used in research and development for creating new technologies and in everyday objects like credit cards and speakers.