Am I the only one that does this?

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses scrolling on a smartphone and the preference for diagonal motion due to the vertical component of the finger scrolling vector. The speaker also mentions teaching vectors to a new class and the use of this visual tool. They also discuss how this diagonal scrolling motion was previously a compulsion and how it feels more natural due to the rotation of the thumb around an axis.
1MileCrash
On my smartphone, I scroll through the screen with a diagonal motion because I like to see the screen move according to the vertical component of my finger scrolling vector.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to be teaching vectors to a new class of honors students next week.Thank you!

Hah! A great visual tool indeed. Let me know how that goes. :)

I do this too for the exact same reason, but it was always more like a compulsion before. You've just made me consciously aware of it.

I do it, but I think it's more because my thumb rotates around an axis, which causes the most natural movement to be to go from the top right corner to the bottom left. To me, it feels awkward to use the middle joint in my thumb to scroll using a vertical motion, mainly because the motion is much shorter than the radial motion of the joint at the base of my thumb.

1. Am I the only one that talks to myself?

No, talking to oneself is a common behavior that many people engage in. It can serve as a way to organize thoughts, rehearse conversations, or provide self-comfort.

2. Am I the only one that picks at my skin?

No, skin picking is a common behavior that is often associated with anxiety or obsessive-compulsive disorder. Seeking professional help can be beneficial in managing this behavior.

3. Am I the only one that double checks if I locked the door?

No, many people have a habit of double checking things for reassurance. This can be a result of anxiety or a need for control. Seeking therapy can help in managing this behavior if it causes distress.

4. Am I the only one that counts steps while walking?

No, counting steps while walking is a common behavior known as "anchoring." It can provide a sense of control and structure for some individuals.

5. Am I the only one that re-reads text messages before sending them?

No, re-reading text messages before sending them is a common habit for many people. It can be a way to ensure that the message is clear and accurate.