Need good math methods for physics book

In summary, the speaker is a first year physics graduate student who double majored in math and physics and did not have to take a math methods in physics course. They are looking for a good math methods book and mention Boas and Hassani. The speaker prefers Hassani over Boas because it is more rigorous, but also mentions that Hassani's "Mathematical Methods" book is not very rigorous but has good explanations. They suggest going to the library to see which one is preferred.
frogjg2003
I am a first year physics graduate student. I double majored in math and physics, so I wasn't required to take a math methods in physics course. Looking at the course that was offered at my undergraduate institution, the only topics it covered that I am only deficient in are complex analysis and heat flow.
The textbook for that course was Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas. Is that a good book? Are there other good math methods books out there as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Boas is pitched at just the right level of rigor (or lack of it; she tends to omit proofs) for getting up to speed quickly.

Boas is a nice book, but in my opinion Hassani is much better..

Thank you. Is Hassani as (more) rigorous as Boas?

yes but more rigorous =/= more useful. boas is fine.

frogjg2003 said:
Thank you. Is Hassani as (more) rigorous as Boas?

Well, actually there are two "Hassani's"
There is "Mathematical Methods: For Students of Physics and Related Fields"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387095039/?tag=pfamazon01-20
this one is not very rigorous (same as Boas), but it has some very nice explanations.
It's my favorite math-methods book.

The other one is "Mathematical Physics, A Modern Introduction to its Foundations"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387985794/?tag=pfamazon01-20
more advanced and rigorous but still a very nice book

Just go to your library and see which one you like..

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the importance of having good math methods in physics?

Having good math methods is crucial in physics because it allows us to accurately model and understand the physical world. Mathematics provides the language and tools needed to describe and solve complex physical problems.

2. What are some essential math methods needed for physics?

Some essential math methods for physics include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and vector calculus. These mathematical concepts are used to describe and analyze various physical phenomena.

3. How can I improve my math skills for physics?

The best way to improve your math skills for physics is through practice. Solving math problems and working through physics equations will help you gain a better understanding of how to apply mathematical concepts in a physical context. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending math and physics workshops can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any resources available for learning math methods for physics?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning math methods for physics. Some popular options include textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. You can also consult with your professors or peers for recommendations on helpful resources.

5. How can I apply math methods to real-world physics problems?

The best way to apply math methods to real-world physics problems is by understanding the underlying principles and concepts. This will allow you to choose the appropriate mathematical tools and apply them correctly to solve the problem. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps and to check your work for accuracy.