Calculating Kinetic Energy and Work: Practice Problems and Solutions

• Thread starter mark9159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: He calculates the kinetic energy of the car and finds that it has a kinetic energy of 250 J. He then needs to find the power required to do this. He calculates the Joules per second (W) required and it is 1350 W.
mark9159
greetings...i need some help please and someone to check if i did the problems correctly.

1.) How much kinetic energy will a 5kg ball have after rolling down a 1m high incline?
My Answer: 4.43 J
If Potential Energy=mgh, then P=(5kg)(9.81m/s^2)(1m) so P=49.05 J. If this is true, then Kinetic energy = 49.05 J = 1/2mv^2. 49.05=1/2(5)v^2. Then i divided 49.05 by 2.5 (49.05/2.5) which gave me v^2=19.62. I then took the square root of 19.62 which is approximately 4.43 J.

2.) Why are no collisions perfectly inelastic?
My Answer: Almost all collisions involve some rebounding.

3.) A lever is used to raise a 300N rock a distance of 0.6 meters. You must use a force of 75N to accomplish this task. What work is done?
My Answer: 2.45 J
If work can equal mass times gravity times height, then work equals 300N times 0.6 meters, which equals 180. I then did 180 divided by 75N (the amount of force needed), coming up with the solution: 2.45 J

thank you very much for checking my work!

mark

Physics news on Phys.org
1) After 1m, all potential energy will have been converted to kinetic energy. So your calculation should read:
Ep=Ek
mgh=Ek
Ek=5x9.81x1
Ek=49.05 J
You went the whole way and calculated the velocity, which is measured in m.s^-1. It looks as though you got confused between kinetic energy and velocity.

3) This is quite clearly incorrect. You certainly used more than 2.45 J of energy to lift a 30kg rock from the ground! Read up on levers and you should be able to get this one.

mark9159 said:
greetings...i need some help please and someone to check if i did the problems correctly.

1.) How much kinetic energy will a 5kg ball have after rolling down a 1m high incline?
My Answer: 4.43 J
If Potential Energy=mgh, then P=(5kg)(9.81m/s^2)(1m) so P=49.05 J. If this is true, then Kinetic energy = 49.05 J = 1/2mv^2. 49.05=1/2(5)v^2. Then i divided 49.05 by 2.5 (49.05/2.5) which gave me v^2=19.62. I then took the square root of 19.62 which is approximately 4.43 J.

EDIT! Not correct, read scholar's post. Your solution would be correct if
the question was: Calculate the velocity.

mark9159 said:
2.) Why are no collisions perfectly inelastic?
My Answer: Almost all collisions involve some rebounding.

I don't know, but your answer sounds good.

mark9159 said:
3.) A lever is used to raise a 300N rock a distance of 0.6 meters. You must use a force of 75N to accomplish this task. What work is done?
My Answer: 2.45 J
If work can equal mass times gravity times height, then work equals 300N times 0.6 meters, which equals 180. I then did 180 divided by 75N (the amount of force needed), coming up with the solution: 2.45 J

That doesn't seem correct. First of all I can see that's not correct because
of the units:
You divided 180Nm=180J by 75N which gives you 2.4m and NOT 2.45J
ALWAYS check the units, it gives you a first hint if your calculation is correct.

Last edited:
so if Work= Force Times Distance, then Work= (75N)(0.6m) which equals 45 Joules...where exactly does the 300N rock come ino the equation?

the problem I am facing is that 45 J is not one of the choices i have to choose from

oh and i really thank you guys for the tip/help..im going to look up more information about levers now.

Mark,

I just send you a private message. I think it's just 300N times 0.6m.
The 75N is the force you need if you use a lever.

Sorry, my fault.

oh, ok. thank you edgardo.

One more question.

What power is required to accelerate a 500kg car from zero to 18 m/s in one minute?

First i found the kinetic energy

Ek=1/2mv^2
Ek=1/2(500kg)(18m/s)^2
Ek=250(324)=81000 J

Power= Joules per second
Power= 81000 J / 60
Power= 1350 W

It takes 1350 W to accelerate a 500kg car from zero to 18 m/s in one minute.

Hello Mark, that seems to be correct.

Regards

Edgardo

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is defined as any influence that causes an object to undergo a change in motion or direction. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) and can be represented by vectors, which include both magnitude and direction.

2. How is force related to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by a force, and an object in motion will remain in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by a net force. Newton's second law states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field, while mass remains constant.

4. How does friction affect motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It can either slow down or prevent motion altogether. Friction can also cause objects to heat up, as energy is converted from kinetic energy to thermal energy.

5. How does the slope of a position-time graph relate to velocity?

The slope of a position-time graph represents velocity. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a lower velocity. A horizontal line on a position-time graph represents an object at rest.