Apparent size of comets in images from the SOHO satellite

In summary, the comets in the SOHO images (relative to the Sun) appear much larger than they really are because they reflect a great deal of intense light and the debris cloud around them can become very large.
Ostsol
I've gotten into an amusing discussion with another individual on the topic of the apparent size of comets as seen in SOHO satellite images of Sungrazing or Sun-impacting comets. I won't go into the crackpot conspiracy theories I've heard, but will instead ask: why do these tiny comets appear so large in the images (relative to the Sun itself)?

My own thoughts have led to two potential answers, but I'm still a little unsure. Here they are:

1) The comets reflect a great deal of intense light as a result of their proximity to the Sun and this results in pixel-bleeding on the CCDs. Thus, they appear much larger than they really are.

2) The comets disintegrate as a result of receiving so much solar radiation and the cloud of debris around them can become very large.

I guess it could be a combination of both, too.

Am I on the right track?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'd guess that both come into play. Plus some comets may enter the camera field of view while they are in between the camera and the Sun, and thus look larger.

Don't forget that the coma of a comet can balloon to larger than the size of a planet, despite its relatively tiny nucleus. The Great Comet of 1811 reputedly had a coma roughly the diameter of the Sun!

Respectfully,
Steve

Last edited:
That's not the only one:
Comet Holmes (official designation: 17P/Holmes) is a periodic comet in the Solar System, discovered by the British amateur astronomer Edwin Holmes on November 6, 1892. Although normally a very faint object, Holmes became notable during its October 2007 return when it temporarily brightened by a factor of about half a million, in what was the largest known outburst by a comet, and became visible to the naked eye. It also briefly became the largest object in the solar system, as its coma (the thin dissipating dust ball around the comet) expanded to a diameter greater than that of the Sun (although its mass remained minuscule).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_HolmesShameless:
Holmes.jpg

Very interesting and informative! Thank you, all!

1. What is the SOHO satellite and how does it capture images of comets?

The SOHO (Solar and Heliospheric Observatory) satellite is a space-based observatory launched by NASA and ESA in 1995. It is designed to study the Sun and its surrounding environment, including comets. The satellite captures images of comets using its LASCO (Large Angle and Spectrometric Coronagraph) instrument, which blocks out the bright light of the Sun to reveal the fainter structures in its corona and the path of comets passing by.

2. Why do comets appear to change size in images from the SOHO satellite?

The apparent size of comets in images from the SOHO satellite can vary due to their distance from the Sun and the angle at which they are viewed. As comets move closer to the Sun, they may appear larger in the images due to their increased activity and the amount of material being released. Similarly, as comets move farther away from the Sun, they may appear smaller in images.

3. How do scientists determine the actual size of comets from images taken by the SOHO satellite?

To determine the actual size of comets in images from the SOHO satellite, scientists use a process called photometric analysis. This involves measuring the brightness of the comet's coma (the bright cloud of gas and dust surrounding the comet's nucleus) and comparing it to a standard star of known brightness. By using this method, scientists can calculate the size of the comet's coma and estimate the size of its nucleus.

4. Can the SOHO satellite capture images of comets that are too far away to be seen from Earth?

Yes, the SOHO satellite can capture images of comets that are too far away to be seen from Earth. This is because the satellite has a unique vantage point in space, allowing it to view comets from different angles and distances. This has led to the discovery of many new comets that would have otherwise gone unnoticed.

5. How does the SOHO satellite contribute to our understanding of comets?

The SOHO satellite has greatly contributed to our understanding of comets by providing high-quality images and data that allow scientists to study the composition, activity, and behavior of comets. It has also helped in discovering new comets and tracking their paths, providing valuable insights into the origins and evolution of these celestial objects.