Searching for O2 Sensor (specs in thread)

In summary, the person is looking for an inexpensive oxygen sensor that is resistant to soot, has accurate readings, and can operate in a certain temperature range and with moisture present. They are also looking for a carbon monoxide sensor with higher accuracy. They have found options through a Google search and suggest checking out alibaba.com for purchasing in bulk.
Hypnotist56
Hey guys -
I've been looking to find an oxygen sensor that fits certain criteria. I've been looking through oxygen sensors on Google and I can't really figure out what kinds of inexpensive oxygen sensors are available that aren't meant to go inside car exhausts. I would really appreciate it if someone here could help me in this regard, or at least post a link to a website that sells sensors which might peddle the kind of sensor I'm looking for! I'm looking to buy just a few now, but in the future, if all goes well, I might be ordering a few thousand.

Criteria:
Reasonable price (less than $150, excluding shipping, except if shipping costs more than $25)
Resistant to and unaffected by soot; sensor will be placed in a house hold chimney and should be well suited to EPA standards of soot in chimney smoke.
Sensor's readings should be accurate to within half a percent oxygen concentration in air, or more accurate
Sensor's operating temperature must be between 50 C and 500 C (i.e, a sensor that operates at 200 C to 300 C is just fine - we can adjust where we place the sensor in the chimney to allow for temperature adjustment near sensor position)
Oxygen sensor will have to deal with the moisture present in a house hold chimney (

Accuracy isn't as important as being rugged and resistant to extreme soot build up.

I'm also looking for a carbon monoxide sensor - this would operate in the same conditions as above, but accuracy obviously needs to be much more accurate - measuring on a ppm scale seems to be a good idea for our application.

Thanks so much!

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is an O2 sensor and what does it do?

An O2 sensor, also known as an oxygen sensor, is a crucial component in a vehicle's emissions control system. It measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases and sends this information to the engine management system. This allows the system to adjust the air-fuel ratio for optimal combustion and reduce harmful emissions.

2. Why do I need to replace my O2 sensor?

O2 sensors can wear out over time due to exposure to high temperatures and contaminants in the exhaust gases. When they fail, it can cause a decrease in fuel efficiency, poor engine performance, and increased emissions. It is important to replace a faulty O2 sensor to maintain the overall health of your vehicle.

3. How do I know if my O2 sensor needs to be replaced?

There are a few signs that may indicate a faulty O2 sensor. These include a check engine light, decreased fuel efficiency, rough idling, and an increase in emissions. However, it is best to have a professional diagnose the issue to ensure it is the O2 sensor causing the problem.

4. What are the specifications I should look for in a replacement O2 sensor?

The specifications for an O2 sensor can vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle. However, some important factors to consider include the sensor's type (heated or unheated), thread size, number of wires, and voltage range. It is important to consult your vehicle's manual or a trusted mechanic for the specific specifications needed for your car.

5. Can I replace my O2 sensor myself?

If you have experience working on cars and have the necessary tools, you may be able to replace your O2 sensor yourself. However, it can be a difficult and time-consuming process, and it is recommended to have a professional do it for optimal results. Additionally, some O2 sensors may require specialized tools or a specific diagnosis before being replaced, so it is best to consult with a mechanic before attempting to replace it yourself.