Download the free PF App for iPhone/Android phones

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the new PF App is based off the TapaTalk app, is very similar, and supports tex and list subscribed threads. There is a problem with not supporting LaTeX and I can't seem to find a way to list my subscribed threads. However, the subscribed threads are in Favorites. The app looks clean and supports Dark mode. There is a bug with white space around quotes, and the logo is not shown when starting the app. The app has been updated to version 2.4.4.1 and has 85 installs in under a week.
It seems like the names appear too bright in threads, it's hardly readable. Also the avatar of people appear in some posts but not all. I've taken a screenshot so you can see both "problems".

Attachments

• 1367430005476.jpg
    1367430005476.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 602
Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
It seems like the names appear too bright in threads, it's hardly readable. Also the avatar of people appear in some posts but not all. I've taken a screenshot so you can see both "problems".

Use Dark mode instead. :tongue2:

Pranav-Arora said:
Use Dark mode instead. :tongue2:

I used it at first but I had troubles to read names too (if I remember well they were dark-gray over the dark background) so I switched back to bright. I'll try again and post here if I have the same problems.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Android App has been updated to 4.4.7. iOS update is under review.

Hmm, do you mean v 2.4.7.7? Else i don't see where to download the 4.4.7.

fluidistic said:
Hmm, do you mean v 2.4.7.7? Else i don't see where to download the 4.4.7.

Good cal 2.4.7 :D

The chat is not working. It asks what application you want to use when you click on the link. I choose PF app. and then it redirects me to the new threads.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What do you mean chat?

I mean the chat of Sundays (see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=691333).

fluidistic said:
I mean the chat of Sundays (see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=691333).

ah, I'm afraid the chat was never designed to work with the app or even very well with a mobile device

Greg Bernhardt said:
ah, I'm afraid the chat was never designed to work with the app or even very well with a mobile device

I see. No problem :)

Is the windows phone app in development?

sudu.ghonge said:
Is the windows phone app in development?

No plans to make one yet, sorry! Very few browsing PF with it.

Need developers?

I mean, I use windows and so do many of my college friends using physics forums. I know it's an upcoming platform but still seeing the stability of the system, it's going to stay for long and the app won't be built for nothing.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Nope, but thanks for the offer! :)

okay. :)

Posting this from Android App (Galaxy Ch@t). Works smoothly, flawlessly, fast, even on my slow 2G internet :p . Some noticable anomalies, one you might know (Latex) and another is this in smileys option - a minor one. The last row is slightly cutoff the screen. Thought you should know.

Other small issue is that we have to quit and reopen the app in order for certain things to update. It is not so common though. Maybe task killer is interfering. Not that I mind. ;)

Other than that, this app is great, providing as open experience of PF as on PC.

Rating - 9.5/10 - Excellent!

1.22.11 for iOS and 2.4.9.9 for Android have been released. Primarily bug fixes.

Is there anyway to get back to the top level menus from within a thread as when I open a thread from a notification I have to press the back button and then restart the app?

I Want LaTex! BOOHHOOOO!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Big new release in a month or two! Stay tuned!

Sounds promising. :biggrin:

Uploaded a new update for Android.

The iPhone app is crashing randomly if you have iOS7. I hope to have an update ready within the week.

What's the current situation with LaTeX? It was brought up in another thread recently, but it would be good to have a definitive statement here.

jtbell said:
What's the current situation with LaTeX? It was brought up in another thread recently, but it would be good to have a definitive statement here.

There doesn't seem to be plans on adding it.

There's an app on itunes, MyScript MathPad that allows you to draw your equation and it will generate the latex codes or an embeddable image. There's a related app, Myscript Calculator that drawn equations are evaluated numerically limited to algebra, powers exponentials, trig functions and logs.

Perhaps these could be somehow merged with the PF app, ala a collaboration of developers.

Greg Bernhardt said:
There doesn't seem to be plans on adding it.
There doesn't seem to be plans by who?

lugita15 said:
There doesn't seem to be plans by who?

The app is a customized TapaTalk app. I don't develop it. The vast majority of sites don't use equations so there won't be support built into it.

fyi, a new mobile skin is in the works that carries an app feel. Should be ready in a few days.

<h2>1. What is the PF App and what does it do?</h2><p>The PF App is a mobile application available for both iPhone and Android phones. It is a free app that allows you to easily access your PF account, track your workouts, and find nearby PF locations.</p><h2>2. How do I download the PF App on my phone?</h2><p>To download the PF App, simply go to the App Store for iPhone or the Google Play Store for Android. Search for "PF App" and click on the download or install button. The app will then be downloaded and installed on your phone.</p><h2>3. Do I need a PF membership to use the app?</h2><p>Yes, you will need a PF membership to use the app. You can either sign up for a membership through the app or use your existing membership information to log in.</p><h2>4. Can I track my workouts with the PF App?</h2><p>Yes, the PF App has a workout tracker feature that allows you to log your workouts, set goals, and track your progress. You can also sync your workouts with other fitness tracking apps for a more comprehensive view of your fitness journey.</p><h2>5. Is the PF App available in all countries?</h2><p>The PF App is currently only available in the United States and Canada. We are working on expanding to other countries in the future, so stay tuned for updates!</p>

1. What is the PF App and what does it do?

The PF App is a mobile application available for both iPhone and Android phones. It is a free app that allows you to easily access your PF account, track your workouts, and find nearby PF locations.

2. How do I download the PF App on my phone?

To download the PF App, simply go to the App Store for iPhone or the Google Play Store for Android. Search for "PF App" and click on the download or install button. The app will then be downloaded and installed on your phone.

3. Do I need a PF membership to use the app?

Yes, you will need a PF membership to use the app. You can either sign up for a membership through the app or use your existing membership information to log in.

4. Can I track my workouts with the PF App?

Yes, the PF App has a workout tracker feature that allows you to log your workouts, set goals, and track your progress. You can also sync your workouts with other fitness tracking apps for a more comprehensive view of your fitness journey.

5. Is the PF App available in all countries?

The PF App is currently only available in the United States and Canada. We are working on expanding to other countries in the future, so stay tuned for updates!