What characterizes coil springs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the characterizing factors of coil springs, including the use of different types of springs and weights, and the influence of the spring constant, or "k" value, on the stiffness and stretching of the spring. The person speaking is seeking more information on what factors affect the k value, including the material used and the diameter of the coiled rods. They also mention trying to research this information on Google but finding it too complicated for their grade level. They are directed to look up Hooke's law and Wikipedia for more information on springs.
alingy1
I have to write a lab report on coil springs and what characterizes them. So, I decided to use several different coil springs. I hanged different weights on them. I proved Hooke's law. But, I think there is something missing. The teacher asked me to say what characterizes springs. I don't understand what has an influence on the ''k'' constant. I know it is related to the stiffness of the spring, but what in the spring makes it stiffer and less likely to stretch? I tried looking up on Google, no result. All I could find was Young's modulus, but it seems too complicated for someone in grade 11.

Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:
I have to write a lab report on coil springs and what characterizes them. So, I decided to use several different coil springs. I hanged different weights on them. I proved Hooke's law. But, I think there is something missing. The teacher asked me to say what characterizes springs. I don't understand what has an influence on the ''k'' constant. I know it is related to the stiffness of the spring, but what in the spring makes it stiffer and less likely to stretch? I tried looking up on Google, no result. All I could find was Young's modulus, but it seems too complicated for someone in grade 11.
There are some good Wikipedia articles on springs.

Here's a link to one. Also, look up Hooke's law on Wikipedia.

The spring constant k of a coiled spring depends on a number of factors, like the material used and diameter of the coiled rods and such. You might want to conceptualize what happens to the stiffness of a spring if you use thicker rods , or steel instead of aluminum, or if you cut the spring in half.

1. What are coil springs made of?

Coil springs are typically made of steel, although they can also be made of other materials such as titanium, bronze, or plastic. The type of material used will depend on the intended use and desired properties of the spring.

2. How do coil springs work?

Coil springs work by storing mechanical energy when they are compressed or stretched. This energy is then released when the force is removed, allowing the spring to return to its original shape. This makes them useful for absorbing shock, supporting weight, and providing tension in various mechanical systems.

3. What are the different types of coil springs?

There are several types of coil springs, including compression springs, extension springs, and torsion springs. Compression springs are designed to resist compression and are commonly used in applications such as mattresses and car suspensions. Extension springs are designed to resist stretching and are often used in garage doors and trampolines. Torsion springs are designed to resist twisting and are commonly found in clothespins and mousetraps.

4. How are coil springs measured?

Coil springs are typically measured using two main parameters: wire diameter and outer diameter. The wire diameter refers to the thickness of the wire used to make the spring, while the outer diameter is the total diameter of the spring. Other measurements, such as the number of coils and the free length, may also be used to describe a coil spring.

5. What are the advantages of using coil springs?

Coil springs have several advantages, including their ability to absorb shock and provide tension in mechanical systems. They are also durable and can withstand high amounts of stress and repeated use. Additionally, coil springs are relatively easy to manufacture and can be customized to fit specific needs, making them a versatile and widely used component in many industries.