Weight of Single Cell: Mammalian Cells

In summary, the weight of a typical mammalian cell is about 10-19g, which is smaller than the weight of an E. coli cell at 665 femtograms. However, the weight of a cell can vary depending on its type. A typical animal cell is 10-20 um in diameter, while a bacterium is typically 1 um in diameter. From this information, you should be able to estimate the mass of a cell. However, this answer may not be entirely accurate as it was found through a quick Google search of lecture notes.
DocToxyn
Science Advisor
Anyone out there have a general idea/range of the weight of a typical eukaryotic cell? I found that E coli is at about 665 femtograms, but I'm more interested in mammalian cells.

Biology news on Phys.org
The weight of a typical human cell is about 10-19g. I'm not sure how useful this information is, however, as the weight of any individual cell depends largely on what type of cell is being weighed.

If a femtogram is 10-15 g, that would put 10-19 in the attogram range, which would then make the mammalian cell smaller (of less mass) than E. coli, which I don’t think it is.

A typical animal cell is 10-20 um in diameter (1/5 the size of the smallest particle visible to the naked eye). A bacterium is typically 1 um in diameter. You should be able to estimate a mass from that :wink:

DocToxyn said:
If a femtogram is 10-15 g, that would put 10-19 in the attogram range, which would then make the mammalian cell smaller (of less mass) than E. coli, which I don’t think it is.

The answer I gave could be wrong. I just googled it and found lecture notes for somebody's class.

1. What is the average weight of a single mammalian cell?

The average weight of a single mammalian cell can vary depending on the type of cell. On average, a mammalian cell can weigh anywhere from 1 to 100 picograms (pg). For comparison, a grain of table salt weighs about 58,000 pg.

2. How does the weight of a mammalian cell compare to other types of cells?

Mammalian cells tend to be larger and heavier than other types of cells, such as bacteria or yeast cells. This is because mammalian cells have more complex structures and organelles, such as a nucleus and multiple membrane-bound organelles, which contribute to their weight.

3. Can the weight of a mammalian cell change?

Yes, the weight of a mammalian cell can change depending on various factors such as cell growth, division, and metabolism. For example, a cell may increase in weight as it takes in nutrients and grows, and then decrease in weight as it divides into two daughter cells.

4. How can the weight of a single mammalian cell be measured?

The weight of a single mammalian cell can be measured using specialized equipment, such as a microbalance or a flow cytometer. These instruments use sensitive scales and lasers to measure the weight and size of individual cells.

5. Why is knowing the weight of a single mammalian cell important?

Knowing the weight of a single mammalian cell is important for various reasons. It can help scientists better understand cell structure and function, as well as track changes in cell weight during different biological processes. Additionally, the weight of a cell can provide insights into its health and potential abnormalities, which can be useful in medical research and diagnosis.