Guidance on choosing electrical or mechanical engineer

In summary, the speaker is trying to decide between pursuing mechanical or electrical engineering. They enjoy hands-on work and designing new things, but also have an interest in tinkering with electronics. They believe having a conversation or informational briefing on both fields would help them make a decision. The speaker also mentions that fewer people are tinkering with electronics at work and that programming is becoming more valuable in electrical engineering. They chose mechanical engineering because they enjoy the application of math and have a natural intuition for solving problems. Ultimately, both fields have good career prospects.
Acadeus
I seem to be at a stalemate.

I have an interest in the workings of all things, I enjoy getting my hands dirty and getting hands-on with my job and designing new things which mechanical engineering gives more opportunity for (I understand somewhat that they have other people to do that for them.), yet electrical engineering allows me to tinker with electronics which I have somewhat delved in and have enjoyed it to quite an extent.

I am trying to figure out which field to pursue, both mechanical and electrical engineering have qualities that peak my interests but I feel as if i cannot go without one or the other. I believe having a conversation or an informational briefing on both fields would greatly benefit my decision.

Anything that can be provided would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all that many people tinker with electronics at work anymore. Increasingly the functionality is getting subsumed into ICs and FPGAs and a lot of product design is migrating offshore (I'm assuming you're American). There is still PCB design in the States but it is becoming less relevant.

If you like programming, though, EE can be fantastic. That's where the value is added these days.

I picked ME bc I believe applied mechanics to me the most spectacular application of math. I like ME bc I have some natural intuition for problems I encounter. Either is a good choice, both have great career prospects.

1. What is the main difference between electrical and mechanical engineering?

Electrical engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while mechanical engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems such as machines, tools, and engines.

2. Which field offers better job opportunities?

Both electrical and mechanical engineering fields offer excellent job opportunities. It ultimately depends on your interests and skills. Electrical engineering is in high demand for industries such as power generation, telecommunications, and electronics, while mechanical engineering is needed in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing.

3. What skills are required for each field?

Electrical engineers need to have a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and computer science. They also need to be proficient in using specialized software and have good problem-solving and analytical skills. Mechanical engineers need to have a strong understanding of physics, materials science, and mechanical systems. They also need to be skilled in using computer-aided design (CAD) software and have good problem-solving and critical thinking abilities.

4. Which field has a higher salary?

The salary for both electrical and mechanical engineers can vary depending on factors such as location, experience, and industry. Generally, electrical engineers tend to have a slightly higher average salary compared to mechanical engineers. However, both fields have potential for high-paying job opportunities.

5. Can I switch between fields if I have a degree in one?

It is possible to switch between electrical and mechanical engineering, but it may require additional education or training. Many core concepts and skills are transferable between the two fields, but there may be differences in specialized knowledge and techniques. It is important to research and understand the requirements for transitioning between fields before making a decision.