Banked curve, car, friction problem

OIn summary, The problem involves finding the maximum velocity a car can maintain on a banked circular curve without slipping. The given parameters include the radius of the curve, mass of the car, angle of the bank, and coefficient of kinetic friction. Using the equations for centripetal force and friction, the final equation is derived to solve for velocity. The calculated velocity is 82.08 km/hr, which seems unrealistic for a 2.3kg car. However, upon further research, it is found that this is a common result for banked curves and can be explained by the effects of centripetal force and friction.
groundknifer
Hi, I've been working on this problem for a while and i keep on getting same answer! Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

PROBLEM:
A circular curve is banked so that a car traveling with uniform speed rouding the curve usualy relys on friction to keep it from slipping to its left or right.
What is the maximum velocity the car can maintain in order that the car does not move up the plane. (Answer in KM/HR).

radius = 56.4m
mass_of_car = 2.3kg
angle = 34º
coefficient of kinetic friction = 0.41

MY WORK:
N=(cos34)(mg)=18.68
Fp=(sin34)(mg)=12.6
Fr=(N)(0.41)=7.66
Fc=centripital force=mv^2/r

so here's my final equation to get v:
(m)(v^2)/(r) - Fr = Fp
(2.3)(v^2)/56.4 - 7.66 = 12.6
v = 22.28m/s = 82.08 km/hr

82.08km/hr is soo unrealistic for 2.8kg car to bank such a turn.
heck, even my puny vw golf can't even do it at 82.08km/hr

i must be doing something wrong!

help please.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

RESPONSE:
Hi there, it looks like you have set up your equations correctly and your calculations are correct. However, I believe the issue here is with the given values for the problem. The mass of the car is listed as 2.3kg, which is extremely light and unrealistic for a car. This may be why your final velocity seems too high. It is possible that the mass of the car was meant to be 2,300kg instead of 2.3kg. If you use this value, your final velocity should be around 22.28m/s, which is a more realistic speed for a car to maintain on a banked curve. I hope this helps!

1. What is a banked curve?

A banked curve is a type of curved road or track that is higher on the outside edge and lower on the inside edge. This design allows vehicles to safely make turns at high speeds without losing control.

2. How does a banked curve affect a car's motion?

A banked curve helps to counteract the centrifugal force that pushes a car outward as it turns. This allows the car to make the turn without sliding or slipping, as long as it maintains a certain speed.

3. What role does friction play in a banked curve, car, friction problem?

Friction is essential in a banked curve, car, friction problem because it helps to keep the car on the track and prevents it from sliding off. Friction between the tires and the road surface allows the car to maintain its speed and direction as it turns.

4. How does the angle of a banked curve affect a car's speed?

The angle of a banked curve can affect a car's speed in two ways. If the angle is too steep, the car may need to slow down in order to safely make the turn. On the other hand, if the angle is too shallow, the car may be able to maintain a higher speed without losing control.

5. What factors can affect the amount of friction in a banked curve, car, friction problem?

The amount of friction in a banked curve, car, friction problem can be affected by various factors such as the type of tires on the car, the condition of the road surface, the weight and speed of the car, and any external forces acting on the car (such as wind or rain).