Refractive Index: Light Speed & Distance Perception

In summary, the light travel by it's in a straight line in vacuum, but when we see through the glass the glass has a refractive index which slows down the speed of light so when I see through the glass I don't see the actual distance. Moreover, the gases particles has refractive index and slows down the speed of light. Does this mean that I don't see the actual distance?Yes, the gas particles in the atmosphere change the course of light, which accounts for the blue sky.
Ahmed Samra
The light travel by it's in a straight line in vacuum, but when we see through the glass the glass has a refractive index which slows down the speed of light so when I see through the glass I don't see the actual distance. Moreover, the gases particles has refractive index and slows down the speed of light. Does this mean that I don't see the actual distance?

Science news on Phys.org
By it's actual speed

A post and a correction one minute apart? Dude... learn to use that edit button... or check your post a few times before you submit it.

I am really sorry, but can you answer my question?

Ahmed Samra said:
The light travel by it's in a straight line in vacuum, but when we see through the glass the glass has a refractive index which slows down the speed of light so when I see through the glass I don't see the actual distance. Moreover, the gases particles has refractive index and slows down the speed of light. Does this mean that I don't see the actual distance?

You don't ever "see" a distance, you measure it, and you have to understand the operation of your measuring instruments to know what your measurements are telling you and whether they might be introducing errors that must be corrected for. If you're measuring the distance to an object using a light signal (the the radar method) that passes through a pane of glass, you have to allow for the signal needing a bit more time to pass through the glass.

I mean when I there is a car front of me I don't see it's real position because of the refractive index of the gas particles that slows down the speed of light?

Ahmed Samra said:
I mean when I there is a car front of me I don't see it's real position because of the refractive index of the gas particles that slows down the speed of light?

If the refractive medium is set up to change the course of the light, then yes of course you have to allow for this effect when deciding where the car was when the light left it on the way to your eyes.

Does the gas particles change the course of light?

That is why the sky is blue, same with a prism, all matter that light travels through even gas will distort the direction of the light until it exits. Away from the normal.

So everything I seeks not in its actual position?

Ahmed Samra, please read your Private Messages. You can find them at the top right corner of your screen.

I don't see anything in its actual position?

Ahmed Samra said:
I don't see anything in its actual position?

Unless you are standing perpendicular to the plane of entry and the light enters the plane at a 90 degree angle no. For example, If your on Earth and the sun cast no shadow (90 degrees with you) then it is where it appears to be. If you stand directly over a fish in a pond it is where it seems to be, If you look at the fish from an angle the light has refracted and it is not where it appears to be. If you are looking through any medium at an angle there will be a slight refraction of the light. Minuscule but still there.

Yes, light refracts through the atmosphere.

Try looking at http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/courses/m309-03a/m309-projects/grant/atmoptics.html

in particular

refract22.jpg

Ahmed Samra said:
I think what you are looking for is "optical path length" vs real path length.
The difference between the two for a car windshield would not be resolvable
with your measuring instrument(your eye).
And distance would be relative to what you have always seen (no delta)
Lets use the car example.
A car is 30 meters in front of you,
Now let's add in the delay of 4 mm of glass at an index of 1.5.
4 mm of glass has an optical path length of 6 mm, or +2mm
and the delay of the air at 1.000023
30 m X 1.000023= 30.00069 m.
So the true distance vs the optical distance is a Delta of 2.69 mm.
Add to this the delays look normal, as it is what we have always seen.

1. What is refractive index?

Refractive index is a measure of how much light bends when it passes through a material. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

2. How does refractive index affect light speed?

The higher the refractive index of a material, the slower light travels through it. This is because the particles in the material slow down and absorb some of the light energy, causing it to take longer to travel through the material.

3. How does refractive index affect distance perception?

Refraction, or the bending of light, can affect our perception of distance. This is because light rays coming from an object pass through different materials with different refractive indices (such as air and water), causing them to bend and appear closer or further away than they actually are.

4. What factors can affect refractive index?

The refractive index of a material can be affected by its chemical composition, temperature, and density. For example, higher temperatures can cause materials to expand and decrease their refractive index, while denser materials tend to have a higher refractive index.

5. How is refractive index measured?

Refractive index can be measured using a device called a refractometer, which measures the angle at which light bends as it passes through a material. It can also be calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the material.