What's wrong with this picture, and is it just me?

• Thread starter SOS2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary: I don't see what them smoking has anything to do with it. It doesn't make them hypocrites. I don't think you can make a connection to say that their smoking has anything to do with their dislike of other things. I like grapejuice, but I dislike eating grapes. That doesn't make me a hypocrite, and its certainly not wrong of me to be this way.In summary, it appears that the inconsistencies at work are caused by the smokers. First, one employee with emphazima was a smoker (though she left, after calling in sick all the time--imagine that). Then we had to remove pot-pourri (spelling?) from the front lobby because
SOS2008
Gold Member
In my office several people smoke. I use to smoke socially, but now have asthma, so longer do so, but nonetheless am therefore not "anti-smoker." However, since beginning my job with the company I now work at, I've noticed a few inconsistencies. First, one employee with emphazima was a smoker (though she left, after calling in sick all the time--imagine that). Then we had to remove pot-pourri (spelling?) from the front lobby because it annoyed another person in the office...who smokes. Now we've had to remove a fresh lilly plant from the office because it bothered another employee--who smokes. Is this odd or is it just me thinking it's strange, and even a little annoying to me? And then I saw this article:

Attachments

• jackhammerkill2.jpg
    jackhammerkill2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just replace the lily and potpourri with something that everyone can enjoy smoking. :approve:

SOS2008, it appears you have stumbled, almost completely by accident, on the amazing reasons why it is BAD to smoke. Fancy that.

Someone put that picture up in my 'home' forum. Hilarious stuff :D

Pengwuino said:
Someone put that picture up in my 'home' forum. Hilarious stuff :D
AARGH -- I'm glad you know what picture it is because I doubt anyone else can see it. It appears I am indeed "thread challenged" and once again having difficulty with the size of the file. Maybe I will try to upload it again...but before I do, just how large can I make it?

In the meantime, the gal who complained about the lily just informed us not to bring in any poinsettias next Christmas either. Geez!

SOS2008 said:
AARGH -- I'm glad you know what picture it is because I doubt anyone else can see it. It appears I am indeed "thread challenged" and once again having difficulty with the size of the file. Maybe I will try to upload it again...but before I do, just how large can I make it?

In the meantime, the gal who complained about the lily just informed us not to bring in any poinsettias next Christmas either. Geez!

What's wrong with pointsettias? They don't have any scent. :confused: She sounds like just a grouchy person.

As for the image, another way to post it is to upload to a site like image shack http://imageshack.us/ and then either post the link or insert it with img tags (img)address(/img) but use square brackets [] instead of parentheses and insert the address for your photo instead of the word "address."

I know what the clipping is though. I think I saw it on the Tonight Show when Jay Leno does his "Headlines" bit. Terrible, isn't it?

living kills

SOS2008 said:
In the meantime, the gal who complained about the lily just informed us not to bring in any poinsettias next Christmas either.
Offer her a fine bouquet of gaily decorated scorpions instead.

Moonbear said:
What's wrong with pointsettias? They don't have any scent. :confused: She sounds like just a grouchy person.
She says she's allergic to them. Then I'm thinking geez good thing the Christmas tree is fake!

Thanks for the information on images via url--I'll try this out in the future. :smile:

Danger said:
Offer her a fine bouquet of gaily decorated scorpions instead.
Hmmmm...I'd want it delivered, of course, anonymous...

Or maybe the smokers could stay outside and all the plants can come inside?

SOS2008 said:
Or maybe the smokers could stay outside and all the plants can come inside?
I'm one of those militant smokers myself. If someone comes to my house and doesn't want to smoke, he has to go outside to not do it. :wink:

Actually, I am going to quit right after my last pool match of the season. I don't dare try before that, in case it messes me up. I don't want to quit, but the emphysema has other plans for me.

SOS2008 said:
Then we had to remove pot-pourri (spelling?) from the front lobby because it annoyed another person in the office...who smokes. Now we've had to remove a fresh lilly plant from the office because it bothered another employee--who smokes.

I don't see what them smoking has anything to do with it. It doesn't make them hypocrites. I don't think you can make a connection to say that their smoking has anything to do with their dislike of other things. I like grapejuice, but I dislike eating grapes. That doesn't make me a hypocrite, and its certainly not wrong of me to be this way.

Yes, its quite weird that those normally pleasant things would be removed before smoke. But most of the people there are fine with or like the smoke, and it seems as though majority rules in the office. Enough people wanted the pot pourri removed, so it got removed. Maybe there just isn't enough people to get the smoke removed.

Also, I hate pot pourri. It's more of a random trait, I guess.

Some potpourri makes me feel sick. I tried to sell it in my shop at one time, I had to send it back after only one week.
It struck me as odd because I burn scented candles and incense.

KingNothing said:
I don't see what them smoking has anything to do with it. It doesn't make them hypocrites. I don't think you can make a connection to say that their smoking has anything to do with their dislike of other things. I like grapejuice, but I dislike eating grapes. That doesn't make me a hypocrite, and its certainly not wrong of me to be this way.

Yes, its quite weird that those normally pleasant things would be removed before smoke. But most of the people there are fine with or like the smoke, and it seems as though majority rules in the office. Enough people wanted the pot pourri removed, so it got removed. Maybe there just isn't enough people to get the smoke removed.

Also, I hate pot pourri. It's more of a random trait, I guess.
Agreed there is no connection other than what one inhales. It just seems odd that people can be so adverse about natural things in our environment and yet put bad things in their body artificially and have no problem about that. You made me remember that once a guy was eating potpourri at a party--he thought it was a bowl of chips. :rofl:

hypatia said:
Some potpourri makes me feel sick. I tried to sell it in my shop at one time, I had to send it back after only one week.
It struck me as odd because I burn scented candles and incense.
It all depends upon both the chemical make-up and the particulate size of the airborne material. (Chemicals is weird critters, ain't they?) I smoke, like the smell of most flowers and some air fresheners, but potpurri makes me sneeze.

(Never tried sniffing a scorpion...)

A reminder -- I have asthma and chemicals can and do effect me, and I also have allergies to a few things. The potpourri in question was during the holidays, and consisted of cinnamon sticks, dried apple, pinecones, and other deadly materials! :yuck: The observation in this post is why isn't it people like me complaining about every little thing, but always those who also happen to smoke? It may not be a matter of hypocrisy, but rather being a little extreme in whimpyness--I often put up with second-hand smoke when I need to converse during a smoking break, and never complain...

Last edited:
SOS2008 said:
A reminder -- I have asthma and chemicals can and do effect me, and I also have allergies to a few things. The potpourri in question was during the holidays, and consisted of cinnamon sticks, dried apple, pinecones, and other deadly materials! :yuck: The observation in this post is why isn't it people like me complaining about every little thing, but always those who also happen to smoke? It may not be a matter or hypocrisy, but rather being a little extreme in whimpyness--I often put up with second-hand smoke when I need to converse during a smoking break, and never complain...

I don't think the word you're looking for is hypocrisy, but irony. :wink: Well, maybe hypocrisy too, if they are the same people who argue they have the right to smoke just outside the door of the building and don't care if it offends nonsmokers who have to pass through their smoke cloud to get in and out of the building. If they have the decency to step back 10 or 20 feet from the entrance and not offend the nonsmokers, then it's more the irony that they should take offense at plants. (I can understand potpourri being an issue though; not if it was totally natural, but some have scented oils added to them that make them very potent and irritating).

Moonbear said:
I don't think the word you're looking for is hypocrisy, but irony. :wink: Well, maybe hypocrisy too, if they are the same people who argue they have the right to smoke just outside the door of the building and don't care if it offends nonsmokers who have to pass through their smoke cloud to get in and out of the building. If they have the decency to step back 10 or 20 feet from the entrance and not offend the nonsmokers, then it's more the irony that they should take offense at plants. (I can understand potpourri being an issue though; not if it was totally natural, but some have scented oils added to them that make them very potent and irritating).
Yes, irony probably is the word--thanks! I'm sure the potpourri had scents added to it. I think it has been the ongoing chain of events that really brought the irony to my attention--that not one single one of these items has been an issue to me (an asthmatic), and none of the other non-smokers are the one's complaining. And funny you mentioned the front door scenario--this was going on so another company in the same building no longer allows their employees to smoke next to the door, though this is where the ashtray is...

Danger...I assure you, there is a right and wrong way to sniff a Scorpian.

hypatia said:

To spell scorpion too. :biggrin:

Sorry, i couldn't resist.

Ive seen that photo too--good one. I do agree that the comparison of harm from a plant (e.g., allergies) versus self-induced toxins from cigarettes are a bit apart on the spectrum of pulmonary concerns...

SOS2008 said:
AARGH -- I'm glad you know what picture it is because I doubt anyone else can see it.

I can read it. It shows a pregnant woman who is smoking. The caption indicates that she is concerned about the effect that the sound of jackhammers can have on her unborn child. As stupid and sad as that situation is in reality, I have to admit that really made me crack up. Morbid irony is what that is.

SOS2008 said:
She says she's allergic to them.
I don't know about lilies, but the only allergic reaction to poinsettias is if you are allergic to latex and the sap comes into contact with your skin. Unless she plans to rub herself with the plants or fears one will sneak up on her and attack there is no problem with being in the same room with one.

hypatia said:
Is there any particular reason that you know this? :confused:

franznietzsche said:
To spell scorpion too. :biggrin:
What he said... :biggrin:

:rofl: I'm a Scorpion

hypatia said:
:rofl: I'm a Scorpion
I was trying to work up the courage to tell you how much I admire your tail, but now that I know it's poisonous... :eek:

I smoke clove cigarettes and have been into resteraunts where they allow smoking but won't allow me to smoke cloves because the smell bothers people.
Perhaps the common trait of consequence isn't so much the smoking as their stress levels. People who stress a lot tend to smoke and people who smoke tend to stress alot.

1. What do you mean by "wrong" in this context?

When we say that something is "wrong" in a picture, it could mean a variety of things. It could be a technical issue, such as a blurry or overexposed image. It could also refer to a composition issue, where the elements in the picture are not arranged in a visually appealing way. It could also be a subjective interpretation, where the picture does not align with the viewer's expectations or preferences.

2. How do you determine if something is wrong with a picture?

As a scientist, I would approach this question by using objective criteria. This could include evaluating the technical aspects of the picture, such as focus, exposure, and color accuracy. I may also analyze the composition and framing of the picture to assess if it follows traditional composition rules or if it effectively conveys the intended message. Additionally, I may conduct a survey or use eye-tracking technology to gather data on how viewers perceive the picture.

3. Is there a universal standard for what makes a picture "wrong"?

No, there is no universal standard for what makes a picture "wrong." As mentioned earlier, it can be subjective and vary depending on the viewer's preferences and expectations. However, there are some general principles and guidelines in photography and art that can help determine if a picture is technically or compositionally sound. Ultimately, the interpretation of a picture's "wrongness" is subjective and can vary from person to person.

4. Can you fix a "wrong" picture?

Yes, it is possible to fix a "wrong" picture. Depending on the issue, it may require technical adjustments, such as adjusting exposure or contrast, or using photo editing software to crop or retouch the image. In some cases, it may also be possible to improve the composition through cropping or rearranging elements in the picture. However, it is essential to note that what is considered "wrong" in a picture is subjective, so the final result may still not align with everyone's preferences.

5. Is it just me, or do others see the same thing as "wrong" in this picture?

It is possible that others may see the same thing as "wrong" in a picture, but it is not always the case. As mentioned earlier, the interpretation of a picture's "wrongness" is subjective, and different people may have different opinions on what makes a picture "wrong." However, it is always helpful to seek feedback from others, especially those who have experience in photography or art, to gain a better understanding of how others perceive the picture.