Book with undergrad-level olympiad type problems

In summary: There are plenty of resources available for those who are interested in honing their problem-solving skills in math, physics, biology, chemistry, and other related fields. In summary, if you are an undergrad looking for books with challenging olympiad-type problems, some recommendations include "Proofs from The Book" by Aigner and Ziegler, "Mistakes in Math" by Oliver and Ayres, and "Mathematics 1001" by Elwes. For physics, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Arfken and Weber is a good resource. Additionally, the MAA website offers a collection of difficult undergraduate math problems through their PUTNAM Problems. However, it is important to also apply your skills
Shivam3013
Hello everyone! My first post in this seemingly wonderful forum! Anyways, I an currently an undergrad and throughout my high-school career, I have honed my problem-solving skills very well. I have done very well on the olympiads, Putnam, IMC etc. Now that I am an undergrad, I still believe that solving problems is the best way to become better at problem solving. Can anyone recommend me math books with lots and lots of tough undergrad-level olympiad type problems, rather then just basic computational (plug-and-chug) exercises? Mainly for math, but physics/bio/chem/EECS would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
well there's always: Proofs from The Book

with the best of the best proofs across a wide range of mathematical topics:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642008550/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and there's a recent book on Mistakes in Math:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1616147474/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It doesn't have problems but it shows how errors creep into problems undiscovered until decades later.

My favorite is: Mathematics 1001 by Elwes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1554077192/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Again no explicit problems, but every topic can open up into a whole range of fun.

For Physics perhaps the Arfken Weber Mathematical Methods for Physicists:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0123846544/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Following each chapter, is a collection of problems in applied math/physics.

Hi; the thing is I have done lots and lots of proof already. I was looking for a few textbooks like Rudin's Principles of Math Analysis which have lots of problems and theorems to proof. I went through the books in the "Math textbook listings" and spending some time with the list made me realize that I would need to complete most of the problems in most of those books! Also, thanks for replying!

Last edited:
Also, I would prefer biology and chem books too.

Try PUTNAM Problems available at MAA Web. if you like difficult undergrad math problems.

I am looking for above-Putnam level. But thanks anyways!

Good luck getting an answer. Your best bet is to do what people have done in the past, apply your skills to a real problem, be it something medical or whatever.

verty said:
Good luck getting an answer. Your best bet is to do what people have done in the past, apply your skills to a real problem, be it something medical or whatever.

I agree, solve some interesting problems then solve some no one has solved.

1. What is a book with undergrad-level olympiad type problems?

A book with undergrad-level olympiad type problems is a textbook or study guide that contains challenging problems typically found in undergraduate-level math, science, or engineering competitions known as olympiads. These problems are designed to test students' critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Who would benefit from using a book with undergrad-level olympiad type problems?

Students who are interested in honing their problem-solving skills and preparing for undergraduate-level competitions would benefit from using a book with undergrad-level olympiad type problems. These could include high school students, college students, or anyone looking to challenge themselves in math and science.

3. What subjects are typically covered in a book with undergrad-level olympiad type problems?

A book with undergrad-level olympiad type problems may cover a variety of subjects, including but not limited to mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, and computer science. These subjects are often chosen to align with the topics covered in undergraduate-level olympiads.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using a book with undergrad-level olympiad type problems?

The prerequisites for using a book with undergrad-level olympiad type problems may vary depending on the specific book and its intended audience. However, it is typically recommended to have a strong foundation in the subject areas covered in the book, as well as a basic understanding of problem-solving techniques.

5. How can using a book with undergrad-level olympiad type problems benefit students?

Using a book with undergrad-level olympiad type problems can benefit students in several ways. It can help improve their critical thinking and problem-solving skills, prepare them for undergraduate-level competitions, and provide a deeper understanding of the subject matter. It can also serve as a valuable resource for students looking to challenge themselves and excel in their academic pursuits.