What formula or principle governs this observed phenomena?

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of a consistent pattern in adding new circles of blocks in a circular patio design. Each new circle requires exactly 7 additional blocks and this can be explained by the increase in circumference by 2π units. This pattern can be used to accurately estimate the number of blocks needed for different sized circles and could potentially be applied to different block sizes as well.
VMey
Hello,

Just discovered this forum as I'm so intensely curious about this question I sought out just such a place!

I'm currently designing a circular patio using 6-in square blocks in concentric circles. While using a combination of Excel and Adobe Illustrator, I uncovered something unexpected. Each new circle required a consistent number of additional blocks, when rounded up to the value of a whole block. 7 to be exact. It is my goal to understand how and why this works, and hopefully to learn a formula that will let me repeat it and change things like block size.

I began with a 36-inch circle which would be a firepit. I determined I would need 18.85 6-inch blocks. I'm not planning to cut them, so I rounded up to 19 blocks and backed into the circumference that would accommodate it (114 inches). I went to the next ring and more or less repeated the same process: approximated circumference, determined a fractional number of blocks, rounded up to nearest whole block, backed into precise circumference. Rinse, repeat.

After about six rings, I wanted to know how many rings I'd need to get to a 16-foot diameter, so I figured I'd average the diameter increase between each consecutive ring, hoping to extrapolate an estimate. I was surprised to find each circle was the exact same increase from its adjacent circle (1.114085 ft). And that's when I noticed the consistency in the blocks.

If I was aiming to have circumferences that accommodated only whole blocks, I learned that each new circle required exactly 7 additional blocks.

How is this so precise and predictable? I'm assuming it has something to do with effectively turning the circle into a polygon by using blocks, since they are flat. So the first "circle" is really a 19-sided polygon, the next a 26-sided polygon, etc. But I don't know the first thing about complex polygons.

Furthermore, I'd love learn HOW this works. If I had a formula of some kind, I could change the size of the blocks at will and speed up my estimates.

Thanks for any help! Attached an image for reference

Attachments

• Patio plan.png
    Patio plan.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
I went a bit further ...

If you have blocks which are x wide and y long, and lay them in concentric circles with the long-axis radial, then each circle will have an inner diameter 2y longer than the last.

If we start, as you did, with the inner circumference rigged so a natural number, ##b##, of blocks fits comfortably around it, then the inner circumference is ##C_0=bx##; so the inner diameter is ##D_0=bx/\pi##. The next circle out has an inner diameter of ##D_1=bx/\pi +2y## so the next circumference is ##C_1=(bx/\pi +2y)\pi=bx+2\pi y## ...

See the pattern?
The circumference for the nth circle will be ##C_n=bx+2n\pi y## and each circumference differs from the last by ##\Delta C = 2\pi y## which is a difference of ##2\pi y/x## blocks.

If y=x then that number will be ##2\pi## which is about 6.3 ... which gives an overlap of 2/3 of a block.
You could round down and have biggish gaps between bricks or round up to the next circumference, which is 7 blocks around.

Does that sound like what you did?

For square bricks this will leave a larger gap between circles that you may like - which can be fixed by making y slightly longer than x. You can reverse the above calculation to figure out what shape blocks to use for a circular pattern with a snug fit.

For every new circle of blocks you add, the radius of the circle which encloses all the blocks increases with 1 unit (= the side of the square block). But then, the circumference of the circle increases with 2π units, since the circumference is 2πr. This means that you can fit 2π≈6.28 more blocks in than the previous time. Rounding of upwards gives 7.

1. What is the scientific method and how does it relate to formulating principles?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to understand the natural world. It involves making observations, asking questions, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions. The results of these experiments can then be used to formulate principles or laws that govern a particular observed phenomenon.

2. How do scientists determine which formula or principle applies to a specific observed phenomenon?

Scientists use a combination of experimentation, data analysis, and logical reasoning to determine which formula or principle applies to a specific observed phenomenon. They may also consult previous research and scientific theories to guide their understanding and formulation of principles.

3. Can a formula or principle change over time as new evidence is discovered?

Yes, formulas and principles can change over time as new evidence is discovered. This is a fundamental aspect of the scientific process, as scientists are constantly seeking to improve their understanding and theories based on new data and research.

4. How is the accuracy of a formula or principle determined?

The accuracy of a formula or principle is determined through rigorous testing and experimentation. Scientists conduct multiple experiments and collect data to validate the accuracy of a formula or principle. Additionally, peer review and replication of experiments by other scientists can also help to determine the accuracy of a formula or principle.

5. Are there different types of formulas or principles that govern different types of observed phenomena?

Yes, there are different types of formulas and principles that govern different types of observed phenomena. For example, there are laws of motion that govern the movement of objects, principles of genetics that explain inheritance, and principles of thermodynamics that describe energy transfer. These formulas and principles are specific to the phenomena they govern and may differ in their application and complexity.