Copying latex codes between PF and external Latex software

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of offline latex software, specifically TexMaker, for composing derivations and posting them on PF for assistance or discussion. However, there is an issue with in-line TeX codes between TexMaker and PF, as their symbols are asymmetric and do not recognize each other's codes. The conversation suggests using double # as an alternative for in-line TeX in TexMaker, which also makes it easier to write latex on PF.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I find it easier to compose derivations in offline latex software, which is TexMaker, and then post it to PF if I need to seek help or discuss something.

This works well except for in-line TeX:

TexMaker uses a 'commence inline TeX' code that is the same as the 'end inline TeX' code, which is just the dollar sign. Double dollars, which on PF denote a non-inline passage of TeX, don't work on TeXmaker.

PF uses the codes (open sq bracket)itex] and (open sq bracket)/itex] for inline code. These are 'asymmetric' between the begin and end code symbols whereas TexMaker has 'symmetric' symbols. TexMaker doesn't recognise the (open sq bracket)itex] approach and PF doesn't recognise the single-dollar approach.

This makes it messy to copy between TexMaker to PF becauise all codes for inline TeX have to be altered one by one. There is no global-replace that can be done.

Is there any code that PF's latex engine will recognise as both a 'start inline code' and 'end inline code' command?

Alternatively, does anybody know of any other 'asymmetric' commands for inline code that I could try in TexMaker. I have tried itex & /itex, latex & /latex & tex & /tex.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use double # for inline TeX.
And double $ for other TeX.

Likes 2 people
Test inline ##{\Gamma^a}_{bc,d}## end of sentence.

Thank you mfb. That solves my problem and also makes it easier to write latex on PF, as double # is much quicker to type than (open sq bracket)itex] or (open sq bracket)/itex].

1. What is the purpose of copying latex codes between PF and external Latex software?

The purpose of copying latex codes between PF (Physics Forums) and external Latex software is to easily transfer mathematical equations and scientific notations from one platform to another. PF uses a Latex-based editor for its forums, while external Latex software like Overleaf or MathType have more advanced features for creating and editing equations.

2. How do I copy latex codes from PF to external Latex software?

To copy latex codes from PF to external Latex software, you can simply select the equations you want to copy and use the "Copy Latex" option in the PF editor. Then, you can paste the codes into the external software for further editing and customization.

3. Can I copy latex codes from external Latex software to PF?

Yes, you can also copy latex codes from external Latex software to PF. Most external software have a "Copy Latex" or "Copy Equation" option that can be used to copy the codes. Then, you can paste the codes into the PF editor to display the equations in your post.

4. Are there any limitations when copying latex codes between PF and external Latex software?

There may be some limitations when copying latex codes between PF and external Latex software. This can depend on the specific features and formatting options available in each platform. Some equations may not transfer exactly as they appear in the original platform, so it's important to double-check and make any necessary adjustments.

5. Can I use any external Latex software with PF?

Yes, you can use any external Latex software with PF as long as it allows you to copy and paste Latex codes. However, it's important to make sure that the software is compatible with the Latex version used by PF to avoid any formatting or compatibility issues.