Removing duplicate graphics in attachments

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary: You don't need to login or have an account in postimg.org...but yes its a bit more tiresome than doing it in-house. I suggest using .bmp or .png files as they look better than thumbnails generated by using jpegs.
jackmell
Hi,

I was just wondering, in an effort to make the forum more classy-looking, and I know I already asked this question but it was never really answered by the administration, is there anyway to remove the redundant graphics attachments when I add an attachments, then go on to link that attachment in the actual body of the thread using the PF link and not some other off-site link.

All I'm saying is that it's just redundant-looking to have duplicate copies of the graphics.

Here's my example in case it's something you guys are interested in looking into it:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=727915

I believe if you remove the thumbnail and only have the embedded graphics, it more professional-looking and reduces clutter don't you guys think?

Ok thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would look better, unfortunately, forum software deletes attachments that are not attached to any post. No idea if anything can be done without modifying the engine (which is easier said than done).

jackmell said:
I believe if you remove the thumbnail and only have the embedded graphics, it more professional-looking and reduces clutter don't you guys think?

Ok thanks,
Jack

The image hosting sites like s2.postimg.org give the best results.
Otherwise if you use bitmap image files (.bmp extension) then the thumbnail is replaced by a minuscule icon which is :
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64719&stc=1&d=1386852679

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    155.1 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
Enigman said:
The image hosting sites like s2.postimg.org give the best results.
Otherwise if you use bitmap image files (.bmp extension) then the thumbnail is replaced by a minuscule icon which is :
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64719&stc=1&d=1386852679

But that involves a third-party which I have to first log into, upload the file, cut the link out, log out, then log into PF.

I think it would be cleaner if we could just do all that here.

jackmell said:
But that involves a third-party which I have to first log into, upload the file, cut the link out, log out, then log into PF.

I think it would be cleaner if we could just do all that here.

You don't need to login or have an account in postimg.org...but yes its a bit more tiresome than doing it in-house. I suggest using .bmp or .png files as they look better than thumbnails generated by using jpegs.

1. How do I identify duplicate graphics in attachments?

One way to identify duplicate graphics in attachments is to compare the file names and file sizes of each attachment. If the file names and sizes are the same, then it is likely a duplicate.

2. Can I use a software or tool to automatically remove duplicate graphics in attachments?

Yes, there are many software and tools available that can help you remove duplicate graphics in attachments. Some popular options include Duplicate Cleaner, CCleaner, and Duplicate File Finder.

3. Will removing duplicate graphics in attachments affect the quality of the graphics?

No, removing duplicate graphics in attachments will not affect the quality of the graphics. It simply removes identical copies of the same graphic, so the original graphic will remain unchanged.

4. Is it necessary to remove duplicate graphics in attachments?

It is not necessary, but it can help save storage space and improve organization. It also makes it easier to find and access the correct version of a graphic.

5. Can I remove duplicate graphics in attachments manually?

Yes, you can remove duplicate graphics in attachments manually by going through each attachment and comparing them. However, this can be time-consuming and tedious, so using a software or tool may be a more efficient option.