Telomere assignment for biology

In summary, telomeres are specialized DNA sequences that were discovered by biologist Elizabeth Blackburn in the late 20th century. They have a repeating pattern of bases, with the specific sequence varying between species. The existence of telomeres has been known for a long time, but their function has only recently been theorized. The first description of telomeres was made in 1968 by Berendes HD and Meyer GF in Drosophila. If you need more information on telomeres, you can refer to resources such as Wikipedia or PubMed.
student007
Hi, I'm doing a telomere assignment for biology, and i have a few questions.

1) are they called "telomers" or "telomeres"?
2) when and by whom were they discovered? (i've looked everywhere!)

Thank, you. and i must say, those things are fascinating!

Biology news on Phys.org
K. This is what I've found, and they're telomeres.

Almost 15 years ago, biologist Elizabeth Blackburn discovered that telomeres have a special DNA sequence, a pattern of bases that repeats over and over again. In humans, for example, the telomere repeat is -AGGGTT-, repeated perhaps 1,000 times on many chromosomes.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for...

thanx...not very specific (i.e. year, place) but better than i can do :)

The existence of telomeres has been known for a long time, only recently has there begun to be some theorizing about what their function is. I have no idea when or by whom they were first discovered though. Sorry. :frown:

student007 said:
Hi, I'm doing a telomere assignment for biology, and i have a few questions.
write something like this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomere

your teacher will give you A+, remmeber to include the amino acid chains of each species--the telomeric repeats i means

Question...

I just finished a report on telomeres (just the basic stuff). Would anyone be willing to read it over and give some feedback? Thanx A LOT!

P.S. I'm asking this only because I don't know what the rules on this forum are with respect to this. I don't want someone to read and rewrite it...i just want some feedback

Last edited:

What are telomeres?

Telomeres are repetitive DNA sequences located at the ends of chromosomes that play a critical role in preserving the integrity of the genetic material during cell division.

Why is telomere assignment important in biology?

Telomere assignment is important in biology because it helps us understand the aging process and the development of diseases such as cancer. It also allows us to study the mechanisms of cell division and genetic stability.

How are telomeres assigned in biology?

Telomeres are assigned in biology through various techniques such as Southern blotting, quantitative PCR, and fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH). These methods involve labeling and detecting telomeric DNA sequences to determine their length and structure.

What is the significance of telomere length?

Telomere length is significant because it can indicate the biological age of a cell. As cells divide, telomeres shorten and when they reach a critical length, the cell can no longer divide and may undergo senescence or cell death. This process is associated with aging and age-related diseases.

Can telomere length be manipulated?

Yes, telomere length can be manipulated through various factors such as lifestyle choices, environmental factors, and genetic predisposition. Certain lifestyle habits, such as regular exercise and a healthy diet, have been shown to promote longer telomeres. Additionally, certain medications and interventions, such as telomerase activators, have been studied for their potential to lengthen telomeres.