The quantum computer: computer of the future

In summary: In summary, quantum computers are a type of computer that use a different form of math that is not currently possible with regular computers. They are still in development and have a lot of problems that need to be solved before they are practical for practical applications.
JKLM
Has anyone heard of RSA? Its the cipher used by the NSA, CIA and probably most other government agencies. Its a cipher that uses one way arithimetic(easy to do almost impossible to undo). Anyway a type of computer is being developed to crack this form cipher called the Quantum computer and I was interested if anyone had any idea how a quantum computer works and how for they are in developing them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last I heard the largest quantum computer only had about 8-bits which means that it has less calculating power than your fingers. Yes I do have a rough idea of te theory that allows quantum computing to work and it's important to note that a quantum computer can only perform some operations, for example the factorisaton of a very large numebr into it's prime factors, in a shorter time than a normal computer.

There are so many diffficulties associated with maintaining many particle entangled systems that it is not clear yet if quantum computing is practical.

A Quantum computer works not on the same basics of a Turing machine, so even those 8 bits are faster than you think. Quantum computers work because they routinely calculate infinite possibilities to arrive at a solution. *That's* why it's so fast. The reason it can handle infinitely large amounts of numbers is because the photon that hits the atom, turning it so that it represents a 1 or 0 in a normal computer, bounces off with an infinite number of possible directions, meaning the atom has an infinite number of possible orienatations. The possible states of an array are about 2 followed by 1,000 zeroes, or larger than the number of atoms in the known universe.

Originally posted by Beren
A Quantum computer works not on the same basics of a Turing machine, so even those 8 bits are faster than you think. Quantum computers work because they routinely calculate infinite possibilities to arrive at a solution. *That's* why it's so fast. The reason it can handle infinitely large amounts of numbers is because the photon that hits the atom, turning it so that it represents a 1 or 0 in a normal computer, bounces off with an infinite number of possible directions, meaning the atom has an infinite number of possible orienatations. The possible states of an array are about 2 followed by 1,000 zeroes, or larger than the number of atoms in the known universe.

No, 8 qubits is still alsost completely worthless for pratical appliactions.

Your wrong about how a quantum computer works, a qubit just like a normal bit in a classical computer can only have two states: 1 and 0, the difference is that it may be in a suppostion of the 1 and 0 states.

An important the thing missed by most people about quantum computers is that due to the fact that you have to collapse the entangled state in order to take a measurement, they perform most operations at the same speed as a classical computer and it's only a few operations (like the factorisations of a large number into it's primes) that it can erform faster than a normal computer.

Interestingly, (or not interestingly, depending on your point of view), it was quantum computers that led me here today. I was doing my physics homework and I remembered an article in The New Scientist that I read about quantum computers. So I decided to learn more about them, what I found was easy to understand but then all kinds of complications like decoherence and entanglement came in, so I thought I'd leave it alone and come back to it when I have a Masters.

Anyway, these are the pages I had a look at, see if the're any good for what you want:

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~westside/quantum-intro.html
http://www.theory.caltech.edu/~quic/errors.html
http://216.109.117.135/search/cache...zgo8J:www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~jwallace/simtable.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1) What is a quantum computer?

A quantum computer is a type of computer that uses quantum-mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. This allows for much faster and more efficient processing compared to classical computers.

2) How does a quantum computer differ from a classical computer?

A classical computer uses binary digits, or bits, to represent data as either a 0 or 1. A quantum computer, on the other hand, uses quantum bits, or qubits, which can exist as 0, 1, or a superposition of both at the same time. This allows for exponentially more possibilities and faster processing.

3) What are the potential applications of quantum computers?

Quantum computers have the potential to revolutionize fields such as cryptography, drug discovery, and artificial intelligence. They can also be used to solve complex optimization and simulation problems that are infeasible for classical computers.

4) What are the challenges in developing quantum computers?

One of the main challenges is maintaining the delicate state of qubits, as they are easily influenced by external factors such as noise and temperature. Another challenge is scaling up the system to a large number of qubits, which is necessary for more complex calculations.

5) When can we expect to see quantum computers in widespread use?

While there have been significant advancements in quantum computing technology, it is still in its early stages and faces many challenges. It is difficult to predict when quantum computers will be widely available, but some experts estimate it could be within the next 10-15 years.