How do you react if you meet a somewhat weird person

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary: Some are really cool and interesting, while some are not.In summary, people can be weird in many different ways, and it can be either interesting or not.

How do you act towards moderately eccentric/weird/socially inept guys?

• It puts me off, and doesn't want me to get to know him/her.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • It creeps me out.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I get interested in this person.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Don't care at all

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
Nikitin
I'm a bit curious about this.

To make the poll a bit more scientific (:tongue:), let's use a common definition of "Weird": Behaving eccentrically, being socially inept and/or otherwise non-conforming to ordinary social norms, but all this to a moderate degree (so nowhere near insane, but still quite far away from normal).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I like quirky people, but it can be a fine line between quirky and creepy.

Depends.
I am the queerest person I know. For me to be interested in any person, the person either has to have similar eccentricities or has to be totally bonkers. Normals are boring.

Not sure how I'd react. Let me go look in the mirror real quick, and I'll let you know.

micromass said:
Not sure how I'd react. Let me go look in the mirror real quick, and I'll let you know.
:eek: (your reaction).

Nikitin said:
so nowhere near insane, but still quite far away from normal.
What's normal? Someone who is a perfect balance between sheer genius versus dimwitted, between an Olympic athlete versus complete klutz, between overly practical versus completely unrealistic, between overly impassioned versus complete impassion ate, between extremely fastidious versus completely indiscriminating?

That perfectly normal person is probably the most abnormal person on the planet. It's a bit like 39, which is simultaneously the most uninteresting number and therefore most interesting number (per David Well's The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers ). Everyone has their quirks.

DH, True enough, everybody is different in their own way, but I think you know what I meant.

micromass said:

Oh, obviously WE are weirdos :tongue:. I meant other people!

To to the OP:

I really can't answer this question because it really depends on the nature of the eccentricity/weirdness/non-conformity exhibited by the individual. Some eccentrics or "weird" people are quite fun and interesting as individuals to me (a number of my good friends fall into this category) while some others are definitely off-putting.

People in my part of the world used to have the right attitude. One of the old sayings (translated into standard English) is "everybody is weird except me and you, and even you are a bit weird".

I become interested. We are all weird, though, so the exact definition of ...well, weird, is somewhat elusive here. I am the guy who starts saying anecdotes in public transport out loud or making funny, inappropriate noises etc. Never cared if anyone had a problem with it or not, but I find someone interesting if they have some balls to be themselves in front of strangers. Most people shove their head under the sand - it's like "uh oh, I don't know anyone, danger imminent".

I find people interesting, and a weird person is no exception.

I would say that I get interested, but rather, I find such people interesting, and I'd treat them as though they were not 'weird'.

I'm not sure about the 4th option. It's not that I don't care, because I care about anyone and everyone I encounter, but rather I'm not alarmed, or i.e., I'm not concerned.

I got to agree with Lendav Rot: I dislike people who are afraid to do anything that might raise controversy, or go against their group's way of thinking.

astronuc; It's the latter. I should've probably said "I don't care if he acts weird or not".

Don't really have much tolerance for social ineptitude - interesting people generally are competent enough to at least socially interact correctly.

Nikitin said:
I'm a bit curious about this.

To make the poll a bit more scientific (:tongue:), let's use a common definition of "Weird": Behaving eccentrically, being socially inept and/or otherwise non-conforming to ordinary social norms, but all this to a moderate degree (so nowhere near insane, but still quite far away from normal).

It really depends on the personality. I can't fit all eccentric people into a box like that.

1. How do you define a "weird" person in your research?

In my research, a "weird" person can refer to someone who deviates from societal norms or displays unusual behavior or characteristics. This can vary depending on the context and culture.

2. Do you approach a weird person differently than a "normal" person?

As a scientist, I approach all individuals with an open and unbiased mindset. I strive to understand the unique perspectives and behaviors of all people, regardless of their perceived "weirdness".

3. What factors influence your reaction to meeting a weird person?

My reaction to meeting a weird person is influenced by my own biases and preconceived notions, as well as the individual's behavior and the context of the encounter. As a scientist, I also take into account the potential impact of my reaction on the individual and the research being conducted.

4. How do you handle potential misunderstandings or conflicts with a weird person?

I approach potential misunderstandings or conflicts with a weird person in the same way I would with anyone else - by actively listening, seeking to understand their perspective, and finding common ground. I also strive to address any conflicts in a respectful and productive manner.

5. Have you ever changed your perception of a weird person after meeting them?

As a scientist, I am constantly learning and evolving my perceptions based on new information and experiences. So yes, I have had my perceptions of a weird person change after meeting them and learning more about their unique perspectives and behaviors.