Can You Make Incense Without the Smell of Saltpeter?

• Thread starter cuallito
  • Start date
I have used potassium nitrate in my own incense making and have not experienced any noticeable odor. If that doesn't work, you could try using a different binder such as gum arabic or tragacanth gum. These are both natural binders that should not produce any odors when burned. In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a replacement for salt-peter in incense making. While it is possible to leave it out, the incense does not burn properly without it. However, the issue is that salt-peter can give off a smell when burned, so the person was looking for alternatives that would not produce a noticeable odor. The suggestion was made to try a different supplier of potassium nitrate or to use natural bind
cuallito
So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to replace salt-peter with in incense. Incense is usually made from wood or charcoal with either other organic solids (spices/herbs)added and/or fragrant oils, and a binder such as guar gum. Usually salt peter is added as well to help the incense burn.

Although it's possible to leave the salt peter out, every incense I've made doing that stops burning before it's done.

It works but the problem is salt peter gives off a smell of it's own when it combusts, which is counter productive, so I was wondering what else could be used in place of it that wouldn't give off a smell (or at least a more neutral smell.)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm surprised to hear that you are getting an odor from the saltpeter, because potassium nitrate really shouldn't produce much of an odor. There might be a small amount of nitrogen dioxide, but I can't imagine it would be enough for you to be able to smell it. Maybe someone sold you something that wasn't really pure potassium nitrate?

I would suggest trying a different supplier.

1. How does an odorless oxidizer work in incense?

An odorless oxidizer is a chemical compound that reacts with the incense and releases oxygen to help the incense burn. This process produces heat and light, which allows the incense to release its fragrance without producing any odor.

2. Is an odorless oxidizer safe to use in incense?

Yes, odorless oxidizers are generally safe to use in incense as they are designed specifically for this purpose. However, it is important to follow the instructions for use and handle the oxidizer with care to avoid any potential hazards.

3. Can an odorless oxidizer be used with all types of incense?

Yes, an odorless oxidizer can be used with most types of incense, including cones, sticks, and resins. However, it is always best to check the manufacturer's instructions to ensure compatibility.

4. How long does an odorless oxidizer last in incense?

The longevity of an odorless oxidizer in incense depends on several factors, such as the type of incense, the amount of oxidizer used, and the burning conditions. In general, a small amount of oxidizer can last for multiple uses.

5. Are there any alternative methods for keeping incense odorless?

Yes, there are alternative methods for keeping incense odorless, such as using unscented incense or using an air purifier to eliminate any lingering odors. However, an odorless oxidizer is a more effective solution for preventing any unwanted odors.