Behind on my understanding of thermodynamics/statistical mechanics

• Thread starter mjordan2nd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation is about a physics graduate student who feels unprepared for an upcoming course in statistical mechanics. They are looking for recommendations for books that can bridge the gap between their current understanding and more advanced texts. Some recommended books include Landau/Lifshitz volume 5, Reif's "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics", and M. LeBellac's "Equilibrium and non-equilibrium statistical thermodynamics". Another perspective is provided by books using the information-theoretical approach such as A. Katz's "Principles of statistical mechanics" and A. Hobson's "Concepts in statistical mechanics". Additionally, the student mentions Susskind's online lecture on statistical mechanics as a potential resource.
mjordan2nd
I am a physics graduate student, and feel a bit behind in my understanding of statistical mechanics. I will be taking that course in the upcoming semester, and feel unprepared for the course. Right now, I'd say my understanding of thermodynamics is about at the level of the Feynman lectures. Could anyone tell me what a decent book is to bridge the gap between that and Huang or Pathira, or Kadanoff?

Physics news on Phys.org
A very good book is volume 5 of Landau/Lifshits. More advanced techniques are presented in vol. IX (non-relatistic QFT/Green's-function methods in equilibrium) and X (kinetic/transport equations, non-equilibrium non-relativistic Keldysh formalism). Another standard source is

Reif, Fundamentals of statistical and thermal physics

For my taste it's tending to be lengthy and repetitive in its explanations. On the other hand it's sometimes good to have more than one treatment of the same topics.

A more modern treatment is

M. LeBellac et al, Equilibrium and non-equilibrium statistical thermodynamics

Another perspective is provided by books using the information-theoretical approach, which I find very convincing. Two good books using this approach are

A. Katz, Principles of statistical mechanics
A. Hobson, Concepts in statistical mechanics

Reif "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics", it's one of the best physics textbooks I've ever had the pleasure of working through and it's the perfect bridge to Pathria (which is what I'm working through currently).

Thank you for your responses. Reif just came in, and it looks quite good.

I was wondering if anyone has checked out Susskind's online lecture on statistical mechanics, and whether or not that would be sufficient to move on to the graduate texts?

First of all, it's completely normal to feel behind in your understanding of a subject, especially as a graduate student. It's important to remember that learning is a continuous process and it's okay to not have a complete understanding of a topic before taking a course on it.

To bridge the gap between your current understanding and more advanced textbooks like Huang, Pathira, or Kadanoff, I would recommend starting with a textbook that covers the basics of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics in a more approachable manner. Some good options for this could be "Thermal Physics" by Kittel and Kroemer or "Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Schroeder.

Additionally, I would suggest seeking out additional resources such as online lectures, practice problems, and study groups to supplement your learning. This can help solidify your understanding and fill in any gaps before taking the course.

Remember, it's important to not get discouraged and to keep an open mind as you continue to learn and grow as a scientist. Good luck in your studies!

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies how heat and energy are converted into work and vice versa, and how this affects the behavior of matter.

2. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles, such as atoms or molecules, and how they interact with each other.

3. How are thermodynamics and statistical mechanics related?

Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics are closely related as they both study the behavior of matter at a macroscopic level. Thermodynamics provides an overall understanding of energy and heat transfer, while statistical mechanics explains these processes at a microscopic level by looking at the individual particles.

4. Why is understanding thermodynamics and statistical mechanics important?

Understanding thermodynamics and statistical mechanics is important in many areas of science and engineering. It helps explain the behavior of matter in different physical systems and provides a foundation for many other fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.

5. What are some practical applications of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics?

Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics have numerous practical applications, including the design of engines and power plants, predicting and controlling chemical reactions, and developing new materials with specific properties. They are also used in fields such as meteorology, geology, and astrophysics to understand the behavior of complex systems.