Discovering Artistry in Textbooks: Find the Perfect Read

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary: Distributions" (which she called generalized functions). I found the chapter on simple harmonic motion to be particularly intuitive and thought-provoking. I've been a fan of Physics (and Math) ever since. In summary, "Mary L Boas' 'Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences' is an excellent introductory book that combines clarity, conciseness and an easy-flowing writing style, making it perfect for both formal students and keen amateurs."
Koks, Don Explorations in mathematical physics. The concepts behind an elegant language

Physics news on Phys.org
WannabeNewton said:
Thank you! Just out of curiosity, although I think you've given me your opinion before elsewhere, do you have a CMT/Solid State book that you would consider to be a "work of art" or something close?

I know you weren't asking me, but I'll venture Xiao-Gang Wen's book, which quotes the Dao De Jing "The Dao that can be stated cannot be eternal Dao. The Name that can be named cannot be eternal Name. The Nameless is the origin of universe. The Named is the mother of all matter." and translates it "The physical theory that can be formulated cannot be the final ultimate theory. The classification that can be implemented cannot classify everything. The unformulatable ultimate theory does exist and governs the creation of the universe. The formulated theories describe the matter we see every day."

Here's a sampling from the book http://dao.mit.edu/~wen/book/preintro.pdf .

Ben Niehoff said:
Bleh, I can't stand MTW. Books I like:

M. Nakahara, Geometry, Topology, and Physics
Serge Lang, Fundamentals of Differential Geometry
V. I. Arnold, Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics

But maybe that's because you judge MTW as a textbook, whereas it is a work of art. It's great even if it is meaningless, just like Eliot's Four Quartets. Then of course one finds out that it is not meaningless (I think).

atyy said:
I know you weren't asking me, but I'll venture Xiao-Gang Wen's book, which quotes the Dao De Jing "The Dao that can be stated cannot be eternal Dao. The Name that can be named cannot be eternal Name. The Nameless is the origin of universe. The Named is the mother of all matter." and translates it "The physical theory that can be formulated cannot be the final ultimate theory. The classification that can be implemented cannot classify everything. The unformulatable ultimate theory does exist and governs the creation of the universe. The formulated theories describe the matter we see every day."

Wen's book is a truly fantastic book, but I don't think it can be considered a "Solid State" text. It is a many-body book in the spirit of Altland and Simon, AGD or Fetter and Walecka. It is emphatically NOT in the spirit of Kittel or A&M. That's a good thing! But I think to really get much out of a book like Wen, it's BEST to have a traditional background in Solid State Physics.

Edit: Maybe I'm old fashioned (or maybe it's because I'm in a group which is actually well grounded by experiment), but I think to do condensed matter theory, you must have a rock solid intuition about classical band structure theory, the semiclassical theory of phonons, elementary treatments of magnetism, and crystal structures that you can't find in these fancy many body books. Wen's treatise is an aesthetic masterpiece, but to begin studying CMT there would be worse than suggesting one immediately starts learning E&M from Landau's Classical Theory of Fields (Or Jackson), rather than starting with Purcell or Griffiths.

Last edited:
Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur by Stephen Blundell

ZombieFeynman said:
Wen's book is a truly fantastic book, but I don't think it can be considered a "Solid State" text. It is a many-body book in the spirit of Altland and Simon, AGD or Fetter and Walecka. It is emphatically NOT in the spirit of Kittel or A&M. That's a good thing! But I think to really get much out of a book like Wen, it's BEST to have a traditional background in Solid State Physics.

Edit: Maybe I'm old fashioned (or maybe it's because I'm in a group which is actually well grounded by experiment), but I think to do condensed matter theory, you must have a rock solid intuition about classical band structure theory, the semiclassical theory of phonons, elementary treatments of magnetism, and crystal structures that you can't find in these fancy many body books. Wen's treatise is an aesthetic masterpiece, but to begin studying CMT there would be worse than suggesting one immediately starts learning E&M from Landau's Classical Theory of Fields (Or Jackson), rather than starting with Purcell or Griffiths.

Ha, ha, yes, the two books I've listed (MTW and Wen) are more like poetry than physics, and one definitely shouldn't use those as textbooks. Maybe Kaxiras https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521523397/?tag=pfamazon01-20, Mahan https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691140162/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and Mattuck https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486670473/?tag=pfamazon01-20? The first few chapters of Mattuck are really cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sakurai and Ballentine for Quantum Mechanics. Ray d'Inverno's for GR. Pierre Ramond's text on QFT.

The trouble with Ramond's QFT text is that it's very formal. We had this as a textbook when learning QFT within the theory course. Only at the very end our professor realized that he had not even introduced the concept of a cross section, the S matrix, and all that. It's a lot of Euclidean QFT instead. It's a very good textbook if you want to learn about renormalization, particularly of gauge theories on a formal level. It's the perfect introduction to this topic but not to learn QFT as it is relevant for particle physics and other applications. Here the "awesome textbooks" are Weinberg's books: Starting from a physical motivation, i.e., the definition of a relativistic S matrix he explains in great detail, why QFT looks the way it does. It's also a bit hard as an introductory textbook (here I'd recommend Ryder instead), but if you like to know the (important) details about QFT, Weinberg's books are gems (as are all other of his textbooks like the two books on GR, gravitation, and cosmology, and non-relativistic QT).