How do I apply rk4 to a second order pde?

In summary: k5vx = dt*ax(x[i] + k4x, y[i] + k4y, z[i] + k4z, vx[i] + k4vx, vy[i] + k4vy, vz[i] + k4vz); k5vy = dt*ay(x[i] + k4x, y[i] + k4y, z[i] + k4z, vx[i] + k4vx, vy[i] + k4vy
DivergentSpectrum
Im writing a program that calculates the trajectory of a particle in an arbitrary force field.
the force field is a vector function of position (x, y, z) AND velocity (x', y', z').
Rk4= runge kutta forth order method
Please help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert it into two coupled first-order equations.

If you have something like ##m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = f(t,x,\frac{dx}{dt})##, take the two variables as ##x## and ##v = \frac{dx}{dt}##.

The original equation then becomes the first-order equation ##m\frac{dv}{dt} = f(t,x,v)## and the other first-order equation is just ##\frac{dx}{dt} = v##.

im not sure i understand... I am using a numerical method so once I've solved for velocity i don't have an equation to plug values into anymore, just a bunch of points. I am sure ill get it eventually though

If you have the RK algorithm that solves ##\frac{dx}{dt} = f(x,t)##, it works exactly the same way when ##x## and ##\frac{dx}{dt}## are vectors of length 6, with components
$$x = \begin{bmatrix}u_x \\ u_y \\ u_z \\ v_x \\ v_y \\ v_z\end{bmatrix},\quad
\frac{dx}{dt} = \begin{bmatrix}\tfrac{du_x}{dt} \\ \tfrac{du_y}{dt} \\ \tfrac{du_z}{dt} \\
\tfrac{dv_x}{dt} \\ \tfrac{dv_y}{dt} \\ \tfrac{dv_z}{dt} \end{bmatrix}$$
Where ##u_x##, ##u_y##, ##u_z## are the three components of the position, and ##v_x##, ##v_y##, ##v_z## are the components of the velocity.

Thanks for the help. I think i have it figured out, unfortunately my 3d isn't very good so I am not sure if I am having a problem with graphics or if i did the algorithm wrong.

Code:
        while (i < n - 1)
        {
            k1vx = dt*ax(x[i], y[i], z[i], vx[i], vy[i], vz[i]);
            k1vy = dt*ax(x[i], y[i], z[i], vx[i], vy[i], vz[i]);
            k1vz = dt*ax(x[i], y[i], z[i], vx[i], vy[i], vz[i]);

k1x = k1vx*dt;
            k1y=k1vy*dt;
            k1z=k1vz*dt;

k2vx = dt*ax(x[i]+k1x/2, y[i]+k1y/2, z[i]+k1z/2, vx[i]+k1vx/2, vy[i]+k1vy/2, vz[i]+k1vz/2);
            k2vy = dt*ay(x[i]+k1x/2, y[i]+k1y/2, z[i]+k1z/2, vx[i] +k1vx / 2, vy[i] + k1vy / 2, vz[i] + k1vz / 2);
            k2vz = dt*az(x[i] + k1x / 2, y[i] + k1y / 2, z[i] + k1z / 2, vx[i] + dt * k1vx / 2, vy[i] + dt * k1vy / 2, vz[i] + dt * k1vz / 2);

k2x=k1vx*dt;
            k2y=k1vy*dt;
            k2z = k1vz * dt;

k3vx = dt*ax(x[i] + k2x / 2, y[i] + k2y / 2, z[i] + k2z / 2, vx[i] + k2vx / 2, vy[i] + k2vy / 2, vz[i] + k2vz / 2);
            k3vy = dt*ay(x[i] + k2x / 2, y[i] + k2y / 2, z[i] + k2z / 2, vx[i] + k2vx / 2, vy[i] + k2vy / 2, vz[i] + k2vz / 2);
            k3vz = dt*az(x[i] + k2x / 2, y[i] + k2y / 2, z[i] + k2z / 2, vx[i] + k2vx / 2, vy[i] + k2vy / 2, vz[i] + k2vz / 2);

k3x = k3vx * dt;
            k3y = k3vy * dt;
            k3z = k3vz * dt;

k4vx = dt*ax(x[i] + k3x, y[i] + k3y, z[i] + k3z, vx[i] + k3vx, vy[i] + k3vy, vz[i] + k3vz);
            k4vy = dt*ay(x[i] + k3x, y[i] + k3y, z[i] + k3z, vx[i] + k3vx, vy[i] + k3vy, vz[i] + k3vz);
            k4vz = dt*az(x[i] + k3x, y[i] + k3y, z[i] + k3z, vx[i] + k3vx, vy[i] + k3vy, vz[i] + k3vz);

k4x = k4vx * dt;
             k4y=k4vy*dt;
             k4z = k4vz * dt;

vx[i + 1] = vx[i] + (k1vx / 6 + k2vx / 3 + k3vx / 3 + k4vx);
            vy[i + 1] = vy[i] + (k1vy / 6 + k2vy / 3 + k3vy / 3 + k4vy);
            vz[i + 1] = vz[i] + (k1vz / 6 + k2vz / 3 + k3vz / 3 + k4vz);

x[i + 1] = x[i] + (k1x / 6 + k2x / 3 + k3x / 3 + k4x / 6);
           y[i + 1] = y[i] + (k1y / 6 + k2y / 3 + k3y / 3 + k4y/ 6);
           z[i + 1] = z[i] + (k1z / 6 + k2z / 3 + k3z / 3 + k4z / 6);

i++;
        }

it still won't work. eulers method works however, and i have some fascinating pictures:

elipseperihelion.jpeg shows an elipse due to gravity(inverse square), the advance of the perihelion is due to innaccuracies of the method (this is Newtonian gravity)
perfectelipse.jpeg shows the same orbit, only with more steps used.

Magnetic.jpeg shows the trajectory of a particle in a gravitational(or electrostatic) field and constant magnetic field pointing up along the z axis

imaginaryforce.jpeg shows the trajectory of a particle due to a central force that is proportional to 1/R. i believe part of the advancement of the perihelion is due to the the actual solution. (there should be 3 "petals")

imaginaryforce2.jpeg shows the trajectory of a particle due to a constant central force(Force strength doesn't depend on distance, but is always radial.)

red is the x axis, green is the y axis, and blue is the z axis

they kinda remind me of these things i had when i was a kid that draws similar designs.the 3d library i use is called helix3d for wpf. its really pretty easy to work with once you get over the learning curve

edit: problem solved. i also added mass consideration to the program, and a work energy calculation(using simpsons rule). if anyone wants to see the full source I am posting it in computers and technology.

Attachments

• elipseperihelion.jpg
    elipseperihelion.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 525
  • perfectelipse.jpg
    perfectelipse.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 425
  • magnetic.jpg
    magnetic.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 449
  • imaginaryforce.jpg
    imaginaryforce.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 472
  • imaginaryforce2.jpg
    imaginaryforce2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
I suggest trying your solver on some simple problem where the solution is relatively simple, like the 1D harmonic-oscillator problem. It should be easy to set up its force law and plug it in. As it runs, you may get some clues as to what is going wrong.

FYI, this is not a partial differential equation. There is only one dependent variable, time.
lpetrich said:
I suggest trying your solver on some simple problem where the solution is relatively simple, like the 1D harmonic-oscillator problem. It should be easy to set up its force law and plug it in. As it runs, you may get some clues as to what is going wrong.
I agree. A classic problem with an exact solution to compare the numerical results. And it's 1-d, so the OP gets practice using two 1st order equations to model a single second-order equation without the complication of extra dimensions.

bluntwcrackrap said:
it still won't work. eulers method works however, ...
I suspect GIGO, garbage in, garbage out, because I don't see how RK4 would fail while Euler's method succeeds. Euler's method is the simplest method possible, and thus the dumbest.

I suggest that you take a closer look at your coding of RK4 and Euler's method. You ought to do it in a generic sort of fashion, with a generic vector of data and a generic function to operate on it. You'll find it much easier to try out on test cases that way. I don't know how you've been coding it, but in C++, here is what I would do. Create a generic RK4 class with a constructor that accepts the array length. The constructor will then allocate all the temporary space that it will use, and the destructor will then deallocate it. Or you can use some STL container class like "vector", a class which will do the deallocation for you. Also give it a virtual function that accepts as args the independent values, the data values, and the resulting function values, the last two as arrays.

To use this implementation, you create a subclass that gives both the function and the array-length value.

I'll now assess Euler's method and RK4 with a simple problem: y' = y with y(0) = 1 and going one step with size h. Its solution is
eh ~ 1 + h + (1/2)*h2 + (1/6)*h3 + (1/24)*h4 + (1/120)*h5 + ...

Euler's method:
f1 = 1
y = 1 + h

Midpoint method:
f1 = 1
f2 = 1 + (1/2)*h
y = 1 + h + (1/2)*h2

Heun's trapezoidal method:
f1 = 1
f2 = 1 + h
y = 1 + h + (1/2)*h2

RK4:
f1 = 1
f2 = 1 + (1/2)*h
f3 = 1 + (1/2)*h + (1/4)*h2
f4 = 1 + h + (1/2)*h2 + (1/4)*h3
y = 1 + h + (1/2)*h2 + (1/6)*h3 + (1/24)*h4

As you can see, these methods make the first few terms of the series for eh. You can also see why RK4 is MUCH better than Euler's method.

actually i figured it out a while ago, thanks for all the help though. i saw this youtube video and apparently this is the proper method(for second order ode which i generalized to second order pde).

given x''=f(t,x,v) find x(t)
where v= x'

dx1=h*v0
dv1=h*f(t0,x0,v0)
dx2=h*(v0+dv1/2)
dv2=h*f(t0+dt/2,x0+dx1/2,v0+dv1/2)
dx3=h*(v0+dv2/2)
dv3=h*f(t0+dt/2,x0+dx2/2,v0+dv1/2)
dx1=h*(v0+dt)
dv1=h*f(t0+dt,x0+dx3,v0+dv1)

dx=(dx1+2*dx2+2*dx3+dx4)/6
dv=(dv1+2*dv2+2*dv3+dv4)/6
x0+dx=x1
v0+dv=v1

but i don't get why the function f is only evaluated using dv1?

It looks like you made some mistakes. I will give the correct formulas for what I used: Euler, midpoint, trapezoid, and RK4.

We must solve dx/dt = f(t,x), with initial conditions t = t0 and x = x0 and advancing by h in t.

Euler's method:
f0 = f(t0, x0)
t = t0 + h
x = x0 + h*f0

Midpoint:
f0 = f(t0, x0)
f1 = f(t0 + h/2, x0 + (h/2)*f0)
t = t0 + h
x = x0 + h*f1

Trapezoid:
f0 = f(t0, x0)
f1 = f(t0 + h, x0 + h*f0)
t = t0 + h
x = x0 + (h/2)*(f0 + f1)

RK4:
f0 = f(t0, x0)
f1 = f(t0 + h/2, x0 + (h/2)*f0)
f2 = f(t0 + h/2, x0 + (h/2)*f1)
f3 = f(t0 + h, x0 + h*f2)
t = t0 + h
x = x0 + (h/6)*(f0 + 2*f1 + 2*f2 + f3)

In the general case, make x a vector and f return a vector of corresponding values.bluntwcrackrap, I have some questions about how you are writing your RK4 code.
What programming language are you using?
Are you using a generic array of variables x? Or are you letting them be specialized?
Are you using a generic function that accepts t and vector x and returns vector f(t,x)? Or are you writing some specialized function?
Have you tested your code on any problems with simple analytic solutions? Problems like the harmonic oscillator.

here is the video, don't get why it works, but yeah.
part of the problem searching for rk4 second order is that the search engine thinks you mean the runge kutta second order method lol figured it might help people also would be nice to know why it works this way.

Currently i have a problem adding a new feature to my program. (numerically calculating the force due to a current carrying wire given parametrically)
heres the thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ectromagnetic-trajectory.771485/#post-4856175

1. How does RK4 work for solving second order PDEs?

RK4, or the fourth-order Runge-Kutta method, is a numerical method used to approximate the solutions to ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It can also be applied to second order partial differential equations (PDEs) by converting them into a system of first order ODEs. RK4 works by using a series of calculations to find the next approximation of the solution, with increasing accuracy at each step.

2. What are the steps involved in applying RK4 to a second order PDE?

The steps for applying RK4 to a second order PDE are as follows:

1. Convert the second order PDE into a system of first order ODEs by introducing new variables.

2. Choose a step size and initial conditions for the independent variable (usually time).

3. Use the initial conditions to calculate the first approximation of the dependent variables (usually the solution).

4. Use the RK4 method to calculate the next approximation of the solution.

5. Repeat step 4 until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. What are the advantages of using RK4 for second order PDEs?

RK4 is a higher order method, meaning it provides more accurate approximations compared to lower order methods such as Euler's method. It is also a stable method, meaning small changes in the initial conditions or step size will not drastically affect the accuracy of the solution. Additionally, RK4 is a simple and easy-to-implement method, making it a popular choice for solving second order PDEs.

4. Are there any limitations to using RK4 for second order PDEs?

While RK4 is a powerful and versatile method, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it can only be applied to PDEs with initial conditions, meaning the entire solution must be known at the starting point. RK4 also requires a consistent step size, which may be difficult to achieve for certain PDEs with varying or complex solutions.

5. How do I know if RK4 is the right method for solving my second order PDE?

There is no one "right" method for solving PDEs, as different methods may be better suited for different types of equations or situations. It is important to consider the specific characteristics of your PDE, such as the type of boundary conditions and the complexity of the solution, when choosing a numerical method. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or mathematics experts for their insights and recommendations.