Varying densities and wave propogation

• Thread starter WY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of varying densities on waves traveling down a string fixed to a wall. It is mentioned that the wave speed and amplitude would change due to the change in density, leading to reflections and altered velocity. The possibility of modeling the string as an infinite amount of bits with varying density is also considered, along with the potential for new stable wave shapes. It is noted that in this scenario, the velocity would not be constant and would depend on the subject of propagation.
WY
hey

I was just wondering what would happen if you had a length of string with varying densitities with one end fixed to a wall and you sending a pulse down it. Would the waves travel faster along some bits or change amplitude at all or do something i haven't mentioned? Can anyone enlighten me :)

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
WY said:
hey

I was just wondering what would happen if you had a length of string with varying densitities with one end fixed to a wall and you sending a pulse down it. Would the waves travel faster along some bits or change amplitude at all or do something i haven't mentioned? Can anyone enlighten me :)

thanks in advance

As far as I remember the elastic wave speed in a solid is a function of its density: [tex]c=\sqrt{E/\rho}[/tex] being [tex]E[/tex] the Young Modulus.

The wave would do a lot of funky things. As Clausius pointed out, wavespeed depends on the density of the solid, so the wave would change speed. However, the impedance (Z) of the wave is [itex] \rho \cdot c [/itex], so if [itex] \rho [/itex] changes, so does Z. This is important, because anytime the medium the wave is traveling along changes impedance, there is a reflected wave. So if you sent a pulse down the line, it's velocity would alter predictably with density, according to above eqn, and it's amplitude would decrease, because some of the energy would be reflected.

Did you mean that the density is a continuous function of position, or that there are a bunch of different kinds of string with different p's tied together? The latter isn't too hard, you can find the necessary equations for
reflection/transmission at a boundary in string in any intro waves text, and just apply them to each boundary separately. To solve the former I think you'd have to model the string as an infinite amount of bits of string with length dl, density [itex]\rho[/itex], and take the limit as dl goes to 0. You'd wind up with an infinite series, but I think it might convert to an integral due to the above limit. Interesting problem.

Last edited:
Because the wave equation remains linear, then you will have another modes, which will not be simple harmonic functions. These new waves will have different, but stable shapes, they can form standing waves as well. But they can not be characterized by a single velocity. Now, your velocity depends on the subject of propagation.
For usual harmonic waves everything (energy, phase, impulse...) propagates with the same speed. Inis case this will not be so.

1. What is the relationship between varying densities and wave propagation?

The density of a medium affects the speed at which waves can propagate through it. In general, waves travel faster in denser materials compared to less dense materials.

2. How do varying densities affect the direction of wave propagation?

When a wave travels from one medium to another with a different density, it can change direction due to refraction. This is because the speed of the wave changes as it enters a medium with a different density.

3. Can varying densities affect the amplitude of a wave?

Yes, in some cases, varying densities can affect the amplitude of a wave. For example, when a wave travels from a less dense medium to a denser medium, the amplitude may decrease due to the energy being transferred to the denser medium.

4. How does the frequency of a wave change in response to varying densities?

The frequency of a wave remains constant as it travels through different media with varying densities. However, the wavelength may change due to the change in speed caused by the change in density.

5. What are some real-life examples of varying densities affecting wave propagation?

One example is how sound waves travel through different mediums with varying densities, such as air and water. Another example is how seismic waves travel through different layers of the Earth's varying densities. Additionally, the refraction of light through different substances with varying densities, such as glass and air, is another example of this phenomenon.