Maximum acceleration of a Porsche on a concrete surface?

In summary, the Porsche 944 Turbo has a rated power of 217 hp and a mass of 1460 kg, with two-thirds of its weight over the drive wheels. The maximum possible static friction force on a concrete surface where static friction = 1.0 is given by µN, where N is the normal force. To calculate the acceleration, the formula is µN = ma. The speed of the Porsche at maximum power output can be solved for by finding the force and solving for velocity. The force acting on the car is the static friction of the road on the tires, and the maximum possible static friction force is modified by the fact that two-thirds of the car's weight is over the drive wheels. Therefore, the formula
philo51
A Porsche 944 Turbo has a rated power of 217 hp and a mass, with the driver, of 1460 kg. Two-thirds of the car's weight is over the drive wheels.

What is the maximum acceleration of the Porsche on a concrete surface where static friction=1.0

1hp=476watts
217hp=103292 watts

and power= Force*velo but what's the force?

What is the speed of the Porsche at maximum power output
thats easy if i get the force i just solve for v

If the Porsche accelerates at , how long does it take until it reaches the maximum power output?
again easy if i can get the first part. any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The force acting on the car is the static friction of the road on the tires. The maximum possible static friction force is given by [itex]\mu N[/itex], where N is the normal force pressing the surfaces together. That should get you going.

yea i think i got that but I am not sure if the rest is right then

u*N=ma

(1.0*1460kg*9.81)/1460 = a? that doesn't seem right is there another force?

Friction is the only horizontal force you need worry about. (I presume you may ignore air resistance.) But note that you were told "Two-thirds of the car's weight is over the drive wheels". How would that modify the normal force used to calculate the friction?

ooo right so

1*9.81*(2/3)m=m(total)*a ok that should workk thanks!

1. What is the maximum acceleration of a Porsche on a concrete surface?

The maximum acceleration of a Porsche on a concrete surface depends on various factors such as the type of Porsche, the condition of the concrete surface, and the driver's skill. Generally, a standard Porsche can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in around 4-5 seconds on a concrete surface.

2. How does the weight of a Porsche affect its maximum acceleration on a concrete surface?

The weight of a Porsche does play a role in its maximum acceleration on a concrete surface. A lighter Porsche will have a better power-to-weight ratio, allowing it to accelerate faster on a concrete surface. However, a heavier Porsche may have a stronger engine and can still achieve a high maximum acceleration on a concrete surface.

3. Can the type of tires affect the maximum acceleration of a Porsche on a concrete surface?

Yes, the type of tires can significantly affect the maximum acceleration of a Porsche on a concrete surface. Performance tires with good grip and traction can improve the Porsche's acceleration on a concrete surface, while worn-out or low-quality tires can hinder its performance.

4. How does the condition of the concrete surface impact the maximum acceleration of a Porsche?

The condition of the concrete surface can greatly affect the maximum acceleration of a Porsche. A smooth and clean concrete surface with good traction can allow the Porsche to accelerate faster. However, a wet, dirty, or uneven concrete surface can decrease the Porsche's maximum acceleration and even cause loss of control.

5. What is the role of the driver in achieving the maximum acceleration of a Porsche on a concrete surface?

The driver's skill and technique play a crucial role in achieving the maximum acceleration of a Porsche on a concrete surface. A skilled driver can utilize the Porsche's power and handling to achieve the best acceleration on a concrete surface. Inexperienced or careless drivers may not be able to reach the Porsche's full potential in terms of acceleration on a concrete surface.