SHM problem involving an applied force

In summary, the question is about finding the force constant of a spring attached to a 2kg object that is undergoing simple harmonic motion. The initial position is 0.2m and the force required to hold the object at rest is 20N. After some discussion, it is determined that the spring constant is 100N/m and the equation used is x(t)=Acos(wt). The importance of initial conditions and starting position is also discussed.
insertnamehere
Hi, I need advice as to whether or not I solved this question correctly. I would really appreciate the feedback, etc... I really need to know if I did this right

QA: A 2kg object is attached to a spring and placed on a horizontal smooth surface. A horizontal force of 20N is required to hold the object at rest when it is pulled 0.2m from its equilibrium position (the origin of the x axis). The object is now released from rest with an initial position of xi=0.2m, and it subsequently undergoes simple harmonic oscillations. Find the force constant of the spring.<--- This is the one I'm having problems with

you see, I use the 20N force, but made it NEGATIVE and made it equal to the force in the spring. Therefore Fs= -20N = -kx
x=0.2m so I isolate and solve for k.
Is this right? I get a value of 100N/m. I know how to solve all the other following qa but it's just the first one that's bothering me. Do I have the right idea or did I do something oh so horribly wrong. I would really appreciate it if someone could rid me of my anxieties. lol
Thank you very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
And I also made Amplitude= 0.2m
Is that the right idea, I also made the general equation x(t)= Acos(wt)

Yes, that all looks right.

The spring constant is just the amount of force required for unit displacement, whether that displacement gives tensile or compressive force.
So, it didn't matter about signs.
You have 20N for a 0.2m displacement, so

k = 20N per 0.2m
k = 100N/m
=========

Ok, but in this situation, do I use x(t)= Acos(wt)
or Asin(wt)?
How do I know which one to use! I always get confused!

If you get confused, use x(t)=Acos(wt) + Bsin(wt) and use the initial conditions to solve for the coefficients A and B. In this case the object is not moving when it is released, so x'(0)=0-->0=-Asin(0) + Bcos(0) = -A(0) + B(1) = B -->B=0 --> x(t) = Acos(wt)

It all depends what your initial condition is/was. Where did the particle start from?

If you have x = Acos(wt), then at t=0, x = A, so the movement has started off with the particle at the far end of its movement.
If x = Asin(wt) then at t=0, x = 0, so the particle is at its equlibrium position - right in the middle of its motion.

Edit: which is pretty much what LeonhardEuler has said.

1. What is SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion)?

SHM is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point due to a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from that point.

2. What is an applied force in SHM?

An applied force in SHM is any external force that is acting on the object in addition to the restoring force. This can include forces like friction, gravity, or tension in a spring.

3. How does an applied force affect SHM?

The presence of an applied force in SHM can cause the object to deviate from its simple harmonic motion and exhibit more complex behavior. The amplitude, frequency, and period of the motion may also be affected by the applied force.

4. What are some examples of SHM problems involving an applied force?

Some examples of SHM problems involving an applied force include a mass attached to a spring and subjected to friction, a pendulum with air resistance, or a block sliding on a rough surface and connected to a spring.

5. How can SHM problems involving an applied force be solved?

SHM problems involving an applied force can be solved using principles of calculus and the equations of motion for SHM. The specific method of solving will depend on the type of applied force and the given parameters of the problem.