Understanding Solid Angle and Proving its Equation

In summary, the concept of a solid angle can be understood as the relationship between a sphere and a circle, similar to how a curve is related to a circle with the equation rΘ. Further information and tips can be found on the link provided. The area of a sphere in spherical coordinates is given by 4πr^2, which is analogous to the circumference of a circle in polar coordinates. After some discussion, it was confirmed that the relation between the two can be proven by integrating over the two angles with r fixed.
Nomy-the wanderer
So what i know that a solid angle is to sphere as the curve is to a circle...

curve= rΘ, and (differential solid angle) dΩ=2ΠsinΘdΘ

I need to prove it, and I'm a bit rusty and i donno where to start, i wonder if there's any usefull links or tips...

Any more info about the use of a solid angle??

Thx..

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Astronuc what would my life be without u?? :D

Thx...

Well, i was thinking that doesn't the equation i wrote in the 1st post seem close to the parameter of a circle?And if that circle small, that its parameter would be almost equal to its area?

Area of a circle in polar coordinates is just the integral of "r d[itex]\theta[/itex] dr", with r limits of 0,r, and [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0, 2[itex]\pi[/itex] so one should end up with [itex]\pi[/itex]r2.

Similarly in spherical coordinates the integrand is r2 sin [itex]\phi[/itex] d[itex]\phi[/itex] d[itex]\theta[/itex], and to find the area, one simply integrates over the two angle with r fixed, and the area should be 4[itex]\pi[/itex]r2

[itex]\phi[/itex] limits -[itex]\pi[/itex], [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] limits 0, 2[itex]\pi[/itex]

So in some sense, finding the circumference of a circle, is analogous to finding the area of a sphere.

Last edited:
I do understand that, maybe i wasn't clear enough...I just thought it was quite similar to the relation i wanted to get to...

I just notice an error in one of the expression I posted.

A = r2 d[itex]\Omega[/itex] should read

dA = r2 d[itex]\Omega[/itex]

and

Asphere = 4[itex]\pi[/itex]r2

Alright that's what i proved, but after i proved it, i just thought something naive, so don't bother:wink:

Thx Astronuc..

Attachments

• solid angle.bmp
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,048

1. What is solid angle?

Solid angle is a measure of the amount of space an object takes up in three-dimensional space. It is a concept used in geometry to describe the size of an object in terms of the area of a sphere that it can cover.

2. How is solid angle different from regular angle?

Solid angle is different from regular angle in that it measures the amount of space an object occupies in three-dimensional space, while regular angle measures the amount of rotation or turn between two intersecting lines.

3. What is the equation for solid angle?

The equation for solid angle is Ω = A / r², where Ω is the solid angle, A is the area of the surface on the sphere that the object covers, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the object.

4. How is solid angle used in real-world applications?

Solid angle is used in various fields such as physics, astronomy, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate the amount of light emitted or received by a surface, to measure the angular size of celestial bodies, and to determine the field of view of a camera or other optical devices.

5. How can the equation for solid angle be proven?

The equation for solid angle can be proven using mathematical principles such as calculus and geometry. One method is to divide the surface area of the sphere into small elements and integrate them to find the total solid angle. Another method is to use the concept of steradians, which is a unit of measurement for solid angle, to derive the equation.