Exploring the Habitable Zone and Tidal Lock in Exoplanet Systems

In summary, the person is new and seeking help with two questions regarding the Habitable Zone of a particular star, specifically for all classes F to M. They are looking for information on the breadth of the HZ and its distance from the star, and also an equation or general rule of thumb for tidal lock when discussing habitability around M class stars. They are referred to Cal State's "Worldbuilder" website and specific links for more information.
Freight_train04
I am new and would like some help. I have two questions for a shout out.

1) I need some info to help detirmine the Habitable Zone of a paticular star. I think that JF Kasting propsed some kind of equation but I can't find anymore info on it. I don't really need the equation per say just data on the breadth of the HZ and its distance from the star. I need info for all classes F to M.

2)Along the same lines. When talking about habitablilty around M class stars the subject of tidal lock comes up. Is there an equation to represent under what circumstances this could occur. (Again, I don't accually need the equation if there is a general rule of thumb or published data table.)

Thanks for your help.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Freight_train04 said:
I am new and would like some help. I have two questions for a shout out.
1) I need some info to help detirmine the Habitable Zone of a paticular star. I think that JF Kasting propsed some kind of equation but I can't find anymore info on it. I don't really need the equation per say just data on the breadth of the HZ and its distance from the star. I need info for all classes F to M.
2)Along the same lines. When talking about habitablilty around M class stars the subject of tidal lock comes up. Is there an equation to represent under what circumstances this could occur. (Again, I don't accually need the equation if there is a general rule of thumb or published data table.)
Thanks for your help.

You might want to check out Cal State's "Worldbuilder" website

http://curriculum.calstatela.edu/courses/builders/

Some specfic links from this website (the first isn't from calstate, but is linked from the above website, and has info on both your questions)

http://www.ess.sunysb.edu/fwalter/AST101/habzone.html

http://curriculum.calstatela.edu/courses/builders/lessons/less/les1/zone.html
http://curriculum.calstatela.edu/courses/builders/lessons/less/les1/kepler3_1.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a habitable zone?

The habitable zone refers to the region around a star where liquid water can exist on a planet's surface. This is considered to be the optimal conditions for life to exist.

2. How is the habitable zone determined?

The habitable zone is determined based on the distance from a star where a planet can maintain a stable temperature range that allows for liquid water to exist. It takes into account the star's size, temperature, and luminosity as well as the planet's atmosphere and reflective properties.

3. What is tidal locking?

Tidal locking is a phenomenon where a planet's rotation is synchronized with its orbit around a star, resulting in one side of the planet always facing the star. This is usually caused by gravitational forces from the star and can have significant effects on the planet's climate and habitability.

4. Can a planet in the habitable zone be tidally locked?

Yes, a planet in the habitable zone can be tidally locked. In fact, many exoplanets that have been discovered in the habitable zone of their star are also tidally locked.

5. Can a tidally locked planet be habitable?

It is possible for a tidally locked planet to be habitable, but it depends on various factors such as the planet's atmosphere and composition. The side facing the star would be significantly hotter, while the other side would be much colder. However, there may be a habitable region in between the two extremes, known as the "twilight zone" where temperatures may be suitable for life to exist.