Using work to find The amount of

• Thread starter babbagee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
P=E/tTotal Power output (P) = 2010 MWTotal mass of water (m) = ?Height of dam (h) = 170 mGravity (g) = 9.8 m/s^2Now, we can rearrange the energy equation to solve for mass:m = E/(gh)Substituting the values, we get:m = (2010*10^6)/[(0.91*170)*9.8]Simplifying, we get:m = 1295675.8 kgThis is the total mass of water needed to flow from the top of the dam per second to produce 2010 MW of power. To find the volume
babbagee
Using work to find The amount of...

The Grand Coulee Dam is 1270 m long and 170 m high. The electrical power output from generators at its base is approximately 2010 MW.

How many cubic meters of water must flow from the top of the dam per second to produce this amount of power if 91.0 % of the work done on the water by gravity is converted to electrical energy? (Each cubic meter of water has a mass of 1000 kg.)
Take the free fall acceleration to be 9.80m/s2

I need some help on this problem, I don't know where to even start. Can some one give me some hints to start this problem.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You know 91% of the work done by gravity is converted to electric energy. simply equate the Power defition to 2010 MW and find the relation Volume/time.

Mechanical energy

Think of energy equations:
E=mgh

1. How do I calculate the amount of work?

The amount of work can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. This formula can be represented as W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. What units are used for work?

The standard unit for work is joules (J), which is equivalent to 1 newton-meter (N*m). However, other units such as foot-pounds (ft*lb) and calories (cal) can also be used to measure work.

3. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative if the force and distance are in opposite directions. For example, if an object is pulled in one direction while the force is applied in the opposite direction, the work done would be negative.

4. How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, or from one form to another. The amount of work done on an object is equal to the change in its energy.

5. How is work used in real life?

Work is used in various ways in our daily lives. For example, when we push a shopping cart, lift a book, or ride a bike, we are using work to move objects. Work is also used in machines, such as cars and elevators, to make our lives easier.