Rely on the State (UK) and you will die poor

• News
  • Thread starter GENIERE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State Uk
In summary, there is a looming pensions crisis in the UK, as government figures show that half of working age people will rely solely on the State in their old age. This is similar to the situation in the US, where private retirement plans, such as 401(k)'s, have not been as beneficial as expected. As more companies go bankrupt, retirees are left without pensions, leading to a growing dependence on Social Security checks. However, with the unpredictability of future government decisions, there is uncertainty about the stability of Social Security as a reliable source of retirement income.
GENIERE
The Times October 28, 2005
Rely on the State and you will die poor, figures show

BY NICOLA WOOLCOCK

… half of working age people will rely solely on the State in their old age, according to government figures published yesterday that reveal the full extent of the pensions crisis.

Physics news on Phys.org
... oooook...

does this series of words have a website associated with it?

The figures may show, but I'm having trouble seeing the figures themselves...need links.

GENIERE said:
The Times October 28, 2005
Rely on the State and you will die poor, figures show
BY NICOLA WOOLCOCK
… half of working age people will rely solely on the State in their old age, according to government figures published yesterday that reveal the full extent of the pensions crisis.
A link would be nice.

I remember an argument that the UK pension privatization is similar to Bushco's idea for SS.

Well the way its going we're never going to find out. And I had no idea Bush was actually a corporation. Sounds very immature.

Pengwuino said:
Well the way its going we're never going to find out. And I had no idea Bush was actually a corporation. Sounds very immature.
Bushco=Bush and company. He rarely makes decisions, he is manipulated by his handlers. It is inaccurate to characterize his decisions as his own so I use the term Bushco.

Harriet Miers is a good example of why he rarely makes his own calls.

Skyhunter said:
Bushco=Bush and company. He rarely makes decisions, he is manipulated by his handlers. It is inaccurate to characterize his decisions as his own so I use the term Bushco.

Tell that to the liberals on this board, they'll eat you.

Never understimate our laziness

Pengwuino said:
Tell that to the liberals on this board, they'll eat you.
There are worse fates than being eaten by a libleral.:tongue2:

Skyhunter said:
There are worse fates than being eaten by a libleral.:tongue2:

Yah, like being attacked by a mob of little festering drooling children.

Evo - Please delete posts 6, 7, 9, 10, 11

lol there we go turning threads into crap again

and #13:biggrin:

And the situation looks to be different in the US?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1122017,00.html
Past union victories haven't turned out as beneficial to employees as they might have thought.

New airlines that aren't carrying around the same retirements benefits burdens as the old airlines are driving the old into bankruptcy - where the old airlines bail out of their pension obligations and re-emerge from bankruptcy more streamlined and better able to compete. Of course, the alternative is the company just goes out of business completely, once again leaving retirees holding the bag. Now, other industries are beginning to see how they, too, can be more competitive against a lot of their domestic and foreign competitors.

That's one reason I liked the idea of 401(k)'s and other private retirement plans. Of course, the average person seems to cash theirs in every time they change jobs and never really build up a retirement plan (that's their fault).

Suffice it to say, there will be a huge number of baby boomers relying on those Social Security checks, hoping future workers don't start electing Congressmen willing to cut Social Security benefits. I'm not sure how realistic that hope is.

BobG said:
That's one reason I liked the idea of 401(k)'s and other private retirement plans. Of course, the average person seems to cash theirs in every time they change jobs and never really build up a retirement plan (that's their fault).

Suffice it to say, there will be a huge number of baby boomers relying on those Social Security checks, hoping future workers don't start electing Congressmen willing to cut Social Security benefits. I'm not sure how realistic that hope is.
Agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed, and agreed. Did I miss anything?

BobG said:
Pity about all those funds that invested in Enron.:frown:

What is meant by "Rely on the State (UK) and you will die poor"?

"Rely on the State (UK) and you will die poor" is a phrase that suggests that solely relying on government support in the United Kingdom may lead to financial struggles and poverty in the long run.

Is there any truth to the statement "Rely on the State (UK) and you will die poor"?

The statement is not entirely true. While it is important to plan and save for the future, the government provides various forms of support such as pensions, social security, and healthcare that can help individuals and families in times of need.

What factors contribute to financial struggles for those who rely solely on the State in the UK?

There are several factors that can contribute to financial struggles for individuals who solely rely on government support in the UK. These include inadequate support from the government, limited job opportunities, and rising costs of living.

How can individuals avoid dying poor if they rely on the State in the UK?

While relying solely on the State in the UK may not be the most secure financial plan, individuals can still take steps to avoid living in poverty. This includes finding ways to increase their income through part-time work or investments, budgeting and saving wisely, and seeking financial advice from professionals.

What are some alternatives to relying on the State for financial support in the UK?

Some alternatives to relying solely on the State for financial support in the UK include building a diverse portfolio of investments, starting a small business, and investing in education and skills development to increase job opportunities and income potential.