Is the Algebraic Manipulation of Set Theory Expressions Accurate?

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various aspects of the scientific process, including the correctness of questions and hypotheses, the importance of verifying data and experiments, and the ever-evolving nature of scientific knowledge. It is emphasized that there is no definitive way to prove a hypothesis correct and that it is the responsibility of the scientist to ensure the validity of their work. Ultimately, following the scientific method and seeking feedback can help determine if an experiment was done correctly.
Natasha1
Can anyone just check if I got it right please?
And if so could you just explain the theorems that come with each line? Many many thanks in advance

(A-B) n (B-A) = (AuB’) n (BuA’)
= (Au(BuA’)) u(B’n (BuA’))
= ((AnB) u (AnA’)) u ((B’nB) u (B’nA’))
= (AnB) u Ø u Ø u (B’nA’)
= (AnB) u (B’nA’)
= (AnB) u (BuA)’
= (AnB) - (BuA)
= (AnB) - (AuB)

Physics news on Phys.org
If A = {1,2,3,4} and B = {3,4,5,6}, what is A-B? What is B-A? What is their intersection?

Yes, this is correct. The theorem being used here is the distributive law, which states that (A n B) u (A n C) = A n (B u C). This means that the intersection of two sets can be distributed over the union of two other sets. In this case, we are distributing (A-B) n (B-A) over (AuB') n (BuA').

The first line simply applies the distributive law.

The second line uses the fact that A n B = A n (B u A') = A n (AuB').

The third line applies the distributive law again, this time distributing B' over (BuA').

The fourth line uses the fact that A n A' = Ø (empty set) and B n B' = Ø.

The fifth line simplifies the expression by removing the empty sets.

The sixth line uses the fact that (A u B)' = A' n B'.

The seventh line uses the fact that (A-B) = A - (A n B) and (B-A) = B - (A n B).

The final line simplifies the expression by removing the common term (AuB).

1. Is this correct anyone?

This question is not grammatically correct and it is unclear what is being asked. Please rephrase your question and provide more context.

2. How do I know if my hypothesis is correct?

In science, there is no definitive way to prove if a hypothesis is correct. However, you can support your hypothesis by conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on evidence.

3. Can someone check my data and tell me if I am right?

It is always a good idea to have someone else review your data, especially if you are unsure about its accuracy. However, it is ultimately your responsibility as a scientist to verify the validity of your data and conclusions.

4. Is there a right or wrong answer in science?

In general, there is not a right or wrong answer in science. Scientific knowledge is constantly evolving and what may be considered correct now may be proven incorrect in the future. It is important to base conclusions on evidence and to always be open to new information.

5. How do I know if my experiment was done correctly?

To ensure the validity of your experiment, it is important to follow the scientific method and carefully control variables. You can also have others review your experimental design and results to provide feedback and identify any potential flaws.