Convergence/divergence of series

• Thread starter Benny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the first series is an alternating series with terms that are not decreasing, making it difficult to use any tests. The second series can be rewritten to ignore the 0 terms and is an alternating series with decreasing terms, indicating that it converges. The limit of An may also provide insight for its convergence.
Benny
[tex]
\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{{\sin \left( {\frac{{n\pi }}{2}} \right)}}{{11 + 8n}}}
[/tex]

I know that the numerator oscillates between -1 and 1 but there are some values of n for which the sine term also takes on the value of zero. So I can't find an explicit form for the numerator which means I can't use the alternating series test. I can't think of any other tests to use since the expression inside the summation takes on negative values 'regularly.'

[tex]
\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left( { - 1} \right)^n \frac{1}{{n^{1 + \frac{1}{n}} }}}
[/tex]

Hmm...this one is a bit trick so basically I just hoped that the alternating series test would yield something simple.

[tex]
n^{1 + \frac{1}{n}} \ge n^{1 + \frac{1}{{n + 1}}} \Leftrightarrow \frac{1}{{n^{1 + \frac{1}{n}} }} \le \frac{1}{{n^{1 + \frac{1}{{n + 1}}} }}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_n \le a_{n + 1}
[/tex]

The terms are not decreasing so the series diverges? My caculator suggests otherwise. Again, I'm not sure about this one.

Can someone help me out with these two series?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can just ignore the 0 terms. If you want be precise, since [itex]sin(\frac{n\pi}{2})[/itex] is 0 whenever n is even, replace n with 2m+1. The series is exactly the same as
[tex]\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\sin \left( {\frac{{(2m+1)\pi }}{2}} \right)}}{{11 + 8(2m+1)}}} [/tex]
That "skips" the 0 terms and is an alternating series with decreasing terms (in absolute value) and so converges.

For the second series, finding the limit of the An may help.

This combined with the fact that the series is alternating may say something..

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. I'll try to finish them off now.

1. What is the difference between convergence and divergence of a series?

Convergence refers to a series that approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases, while divergence refers to a series that does not approach a finite limit.

2. How can I determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several methods for determining convergence or divergence of a series, including the divergence test, comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to known convergent or divergent series.

3. What is the significance of the convergence or divergence of a series?

The convergence or divergence of a series is important in mathematics, physics, and other fields as it can help determine the behavior of a sequence or function. It can also be used to solve real-world problems and make predictions.

4. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series can only be either convergent or divergent. If a series approaches a finite limit, it is convergent, and if it does not approach a finite limit, it is divergent.

5. Are there any real-world applications of series convergence/divergence?

Yes, series convergence/divergence has many real-world applications, such as in financial mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, the concept of convergence is used in calculating compound interest, while divergence is used in understanding the behavior of electric fields.