RIP arildno: Gone, but never forgotten

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, arildno was a great contributor to the Physics Forums and will be deeply missed. He was known for his vast knowledge of literature and history, as well as his sensitivity and kindness.
The PF community is in grieving. It is with a profoundly heavy heart that I announce today we say goodbye to arildno. He was a friend of more than 10 years. Today we remember a great mind and person. Today we remember the great impact arildno had on the community and countless visitors.

arildno was special and it can not be understated how many people he helped. It's truly a gift to humanity. arildno was one of our first Science Advisors.

His first post at PF:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=19860

His last post at PF:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=754060

In between are 10 years of incredible memories of service and friendship.

I ask that every member/visitor who had any contact with arildno to take a few minutes to remember a positive memory. It won't be difficult.

arildno goes on to be immortalized in PF family legend. His efforts here will be long-lasting and long rewarding to those who were touched by him.

Please feel free to share your thoughts and favorite moments about arildno below. We would like to share this with his family so that they can appreciate just how important he was to us all.

A black ribbon has been added to the PF logo. It will remain there for 30 days for us to remember.

Edit: For those who missed it, please read Evo's post of the message from Arildno's family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
He was one of the greatest member I met here. I learned a lot from his posts and I feel really sad to hear about this. To pay respect to him, my avatar will be decolourised for sometime.
I can't really believe this has actually happened.

Arildno was a fascinating man, his knowledge of literature and history never ceased to amaze me. I learned so much from him and had so much fun speaking with him. He was my "Norweed" and my life is so much richer from knowing him.

My condolences to his family. Arildno, I miss you and will never forget you.

It pains me a great deal that he didn't get to read this thread and all the other posts that now appear about him. He was greatly loved here by many people - including me. I hope that he knew he was loved so much.

I don't know what happens in the afterlife. But I hope that his pain and suffering is over now. He didn't deserve it. Sadly enough, it are often the great people who experience the most pain.

This is so sad and so shocking. I still remember him helping me with my fluid mechanics homework, and giving sound advice. He seemed such a generous and kind man.

My condolences to his family.

I just can't believe we will never again joke about stolen stavkirke and how ridiculously expensive Norway is. On top of things everyone wrote about him so far, he was just a good guy to spend time with on the forum.

You will be seriously missed [']['][']

Wow, I'm so sad to hear that. He was a great inspiration to us all.

It makes me sad to hear of his passing. I hope his family will be comforted his impact on so many students who use PF for help. We will all miss him and his insight.

This is really a shock, he was so happy with reaching 12000 posts. A round number. His name with never be forgotten, his intellect will continue to live in all the people he has helped. My condolences for this big loss.

It troubles me to think of Arild in such pain – he was so adored here. My heart goes out to his family.

He was always so tender with his help in the Relationships forum, whether it was someone broken-hearted or someone with a huge crush. He was always sensitive and kind.

I’ll miss his often goofy posts about the trials and tribulations of moose :frown:.

This is a very sad day. My deepest condolences for the loss of such a special person. I hope that he found the peace he sought.

RIP arildno, you are immortalized in the memories of those you touched and the knowledge which you shared with the world.

His dedication to THIS forum tells you what a good man he was.

My condolences to arildno's family and friends.

If there are people interested in changing their avatar, they can use my all black one:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/64/91215365.png

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/64/91215365.png

I'm going to leave mine up until the funeral as respect to this kind and great person.

Or if anybody doesn't know how to darken his avatar, I can do this for you as well. Just ask.

Last edited:
Didn't know the guy or ever interact with him but anyone who willing spends his or her spare time by helping students for free is a great person. This man did it for 10 years, what a titan.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. RIP.

I don't know if it is true that arildno is truly gone for the moment. Because I know both arildno's posts and Greg's, it seems unlikely that this awful news is a joke. But I don't understand how the conclusion was reached without a body. If it is true, my deepest sympathies to his family. arildno, wherever you are, godspeed.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about arildno's passing although I admit I hadn't had that much contact with him. But this thread makes me wonder, given the general anonymity in these forums, how would anyone know he was ailing, in pain, or anything else about him? If I suddenly kicked the bucket I don't think anyone in my family would have the slightest inclination to or clue how to post a notice to PF. I have wondered this before when I see someone post that Greg is in Japan or someone is on their honeymoon. Most users on PF, following suggestions in the Privacy Policy, don't use their real names anyway. So, to paraphrase an old thermos bottle joke, how would we know?

Last edited:
I guess many did not see the post earlier today from arildno's family. It has been verified.

Arilds family said:
Unfortunately, Arild will never join a discussion here at physicsforums again.

This forum was one of Arild's favourite places, where he found people who could match his intellect, and where he felt truly appreciated. We thank you all for the important role you, as a community and as individuals, played in his life.

In the real world, Arild had more problems than most finding his role, and you can all imagine how much we regret having to tell you he gave up last Saturday. During his last days he was happy, little did we know this was because he had made the decision that his role would forever remain in the past. We are still waiting for his body to be found, but the sharp, piercing light of his intellect has stopped shining on us all.

This account will stay open for a couple of weeks. Please send us a private message if you want information related to his funeral when that time comes.

For the administrators, please send an e-mail to the registered e-mail address if you want to verify who we are.

Warm thoughts,

Arild's family

This was truly terrible news :frown:. My condolences to arildno's family and friends.

This is very very sad to know. I don't have words to express how terrible it feels to read this. Arildno was a great guy. :frown:

This news makes me sad .Arildno's knowledge about the subject was very very sound .Whatever little interaction we had here at PF ,I found him to be an extremely nice person .

My condolences to his family .

RIP arildno !

It is terrible... My condolences to the family and friends.

ehild

Evo said:
Arildno was a fascinating man, his knowledge of literature and history never ceased to amaze me. I learned so much from him and had so much fun speaking with him...
I too. It's true. I remember conversing with him about curious old things like the Heimskringla, and Icelandic Sagas, and the "Secret History" of Procopius. Could I have dreamt that? He saw different (sometimes humorous) sides that I might not have noticed and his comments gave things an extra flavor. He was a good companion to us.

marcus said:
He was a good companion to us.
Yes, he was. His absence will be felt.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Last edited:
marcus said:
I too. It's true. I remember conversing with him about curious old things like the Heimskringla, and Icelandic Sagas, and the "Secret History" of Procopius. Could I have dreamt that? He saw different (sometimes humorous) sides to things that I might not have noticed and his comments gave things an extra flavor. He was a good companion to us.
I reread those threads today, my best memories here, you and arildno opened a new world to me. I will be forever grateful to you both.

I can't say I knew Arildno at all, but I'm sad to see any member of Physics Forums pass on from this world. From the posts here it appears he was a good person and a well respected member of the forums. My condolences to all his friends and family.

RIP, too bad he was in that much pain. We lost a good contributor to the forum =(

My condolences to his family.

RIP arildno.. :( :(

My condolences to his families too. I always liked very much to read his postings in the forums.

I join with others to give my condolences to family and friends of arildno.

This is really saddening and shocking. :frown: I remember my https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=358446&highlight=chess with him..

He was a gentleman.. till his last thread, till his last breath. My condolences to the family. Arildno touched our hearts, and will be remembered. May you lay in peace, Arildno. :'(

It is very sad to hear about this. I only had contact with arildno once, just a couple of months back but his posts were so insightful and he definitely had such a desire and strive to assist students. Condolences to all the family, he will certainly be missed.

I am very saddened by this news.

<h2>1. Who was Arildno?</h2><p>Arildno was a prominent member of the online science community who passed away in 2019. He was known for his sharp intellect, insightful contributions, and friendly demeanor.</p><h2>2. How did Arildno contribute to the scientific community?</h2><p>Arildno was an active member of various online forums and discussions, where he shared his knowledge and expertise in various scientific fields. He also published several papers and articles on his research.</p><h2>3. What was Arildno's area of expertise?</h2><p>Arildno's expertise spanned across multiple fields, including physics, mathematics, and computer science. He was particularly known for his contributions in theoretical physics and cosmology.</p><h2>4. How did Arildno's passing impact the scientific community?</h2><p>Arildno's passing was deeply felt by the scientific community, as he was a highly respected and valued member. Many colleagues and peers expressed their condolences and shared their memories of him.</p><h2>5. How is Arildno's legacy being honored?</h2><p>Arildno's legacy continues to live on through his contributions and impact on the scientific community. Many have dedicated their work to him and his memory, and his insights and ideas continue to inspire others in their research.</p>

1. Who was Arildno?

Arildno was a prominent member of the online science community who passed away in 2019. He was known for his sharp intellect, insightful contributions, and friendly demeanor.

2. How did Arildno contribute to the scientific community?

Arildno was an active member of various online forums and discussions, where he shared his knowledge and expertise in various scientific fields. He also published several papers and articles on his research.

3. What was Arildno's area of expertise?

Arildno's expertise spanned across multiple fields, including physics, mathematics, and computer science. He was particularly known for his contributions in theoretical physics and cosmology.

4. How did Arildno's passing impact the scientific community?

Arildno's passing was deeply felt by the scientific community, as he was a highly respected and valued member. Many colleagues and peers expressed their condolences and shared their memories of him.

5. How is Arildno's legacy being honored?

Arildno's legacy continues to live on through his contributions and impact on the scientific community. Many have dedicated their work to him and his memory, and his insights and ideas continue to inspire others in their research.