Auto parsing URLs ending with brackets

• Thread starter A.T.
  • Start date
In summary, A common bug on forums like PF involves the auto-parser inserting the closing URL-tag before the closing bracket in URLs, breaking the link. This has been a known problem for years and seems to be present in various forum software. The best approach is to use URL tags or manually edit the post after auto-parsing. However, this persistent bug remains due to the forum software not being able to predict the user's intentions. One suggestion to improve the auto-parser's guessing is to consider parentheses in URLs as coming in matched pairs.
A.T.
Science Advisor
A still very common bug on forums including PF. When you include a URL ending with a closing bracket, like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohesion_(chemistry)[/B]

the auto parser will insert the closing URL-tag before the closing bracket, breaking the URL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohesion_(chemistry )
[STRIKE]How come it's not happening to me?[/STRIKE]
Okay, I think I saw it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I know the workarounds. You can also edit the post after auto-parsing and move the bracket into the tag. But often I forget it.

I'm just surprised that this bug is so persistent. It has been there for years.

A.T. said:
I'm just surprised that this bug is so persistent. It has been there for years.

We haven't upgraded our software in years :)

I first thought it's a problem with vBulletin, but I just tested with a phpBB(Latest version) forum and it's there too. :weird:.

If it gets "fixed", we get a bug report about this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/vBulletin). The forum cannot predict what the user wants, so it makes a guess. URLs ending with a brackets were rare at the time vB3 (this forum version) was developed, I think, Wikipedia was still small back then.

You could probably improve the "guessing" with the heuristic that parentheses in URLs usually come in matched pairs.

But technically they don't have to do that. And some internet-lawyer is going to complain about URLs ending in "." not being parsed correctly :smile:

1. What is auto parsing?

Auto parsing is the process of automatically analyzing and interpreting data or text, typically in a computer program. In this case, it refers to the automatic recognition and processing of URLs that end with brackets.

2. What are URLs ending with brackets used for?

URLs ending with brackets are commonly used in web development to specify dynamic content or parameters within a URL. This allows for more specific and customizable web addresses.

3. How does auto parsing of URLs ending with brackets work?

Auto parsing of URLs ending with brackets typically involves using regular expressions to identify and extract the content within the brackets. This content can then be used in various ways, such as querying a database or generating dynamic web pages.

4. Can auto parsing of URLs ending with brackets be used for security purposes?

Yes, auto parsing of URLs ending with brackets can be used for security purposes by validating the content within the brackets before processing it. This can help prevent malicious code or unexpected input from being executed.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using auto parsing of URLs ending with brackets?

One potential drawback is that if the brackets are not properly used or validated, it can lead to errors or vulnerabilities in the code. It is important to carefully design and test any auto parsing system to ensure its reliability and security.