by Evo
Tags: evo, music, songs
Ivan Seeking
May6-12, 02:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
Okay kids, if you want to hear REAL 70s pop, this is the definition.

And here is another one from which there was no escape on AM radio [FM was still somewhat renegade back then. For example, most cars only had AM radio].

fuzzyfelt
May6-12, 04:42 PM
PF Gold
P: 742
Quote Quote by Chi Meson View Post
The Fall
Paintwork
Marc E. Smith: the Francis Bacon of Music
Really nice, thanks!
fuzzyfelt
May7-12, 09:15 AM
PF Gold
P: 742
Some more antipodean 80's music, like the lyrics.
SHISHKABOB
May10-12, 01:50 AM
P: 615

you know you played too many video games as a kid when this song gives you the shivers
SW VandeCarr
May10-12, 01:44 PM
P: 2,490
Joe Cocker, Leon Russell 1970

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RnjWLVyMps
ThomasT
May10-12, 04:42 PM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by SW VandeCarr View Post
I think my post 2344 deserves a listen if you haven't already. To me, this music has a natural attraction. You don't have to "learn" to like it.
That brought back memories of listening to Segovia records when I was kid. I couldn't find a Segovia version of Asturias on youtube that I like as well as the John Williams version you posted.

Here's some more great guitar tunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Xdlgii-Rc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0iX8tsA0N7E
ThomasT
May10-12, 04:48 PM
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Thanks, Om! This is my favorite later Stills presentation. The version I hear on the radio doesn't include the crowd-noise (probably mic-selection before mixing the popular version) though I feel that this editing could be a real mistake.

If you've got a hot tune with crowd response, go with it. I'm no Stills, but when I wish that at least some of my open-mic jams could have been recorded with crowd-noises so I could post them. The musicians that came to those non-paying (for them) gigs were there for the music, not the money, and some of them were killer.
I too really like this (thank you Om) -- with the crowd stuff. I've always liked Stills' tunes, his guitar playing, and his voice. I don't recall hearing this one before though.
SW VandeCarr
May10-12, 05:54 PM
P: 2,490
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
That brought back memories of listening to Segovia records when I was kid. I couldn't find a Segovia version of Asturias on youtube that I like as well as the John Williams version you posted.
I'm a great fan of Segovia. There is a Segovia version on YT. I debated whether to post his or Williams'. The Williams version is a bit sharper IMO (and less subtle). I guess you thought the same if this is the one you heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efHwnFAkuA.

BTW, how do you keep on getting banned and coming back? We miss you here. Maybe you could copy me and others in a PM. In any case, stop misbehaving!

EDIT: Thanks for the additional postings.
rollcast
May10-12, 06:27 PM
P: 418
A couple of songs I like because they just have a great tune to them.

I may have already posted this one.

ThomasT
May10-12, 06:40 PM
I'm a great fan of Segovia. There is a Segovia version on YT. I debated whether to post his or Williams'. The Williams version is a bit sharper IMO (and less subtle). I guess you thought the same if this is the one you heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efHwnFAkuA.
I listened to several. They were all from when Segovia was really old I think. Anyway, I liked the Williams version the best of many other great guitarists' versions that I listened to as well. As you note, it has a sharpness and clarity. Also, it's not too fast or too slow but just the right tempo, imo. But all the versions were great, imo. Youtube is a great resource. I hope it doesn't get taken away from us.

BTW, how do you keep on getting banned and coming back?
Well, one gets temporarily banned for 10 days, and then one returns. I suppose that if I were to get banned again it wouldn't be temporary. So, I'm trying really hard not to write anything vulgar, or to insult any persons, ethnicities, races, nationalities, organizations or institutions.

The fact is, I'm really not mad at anybody. It's just that sometimes, after a few shots of tequila or whatever, I say things meant to stimulate discussion (or meant to be humorous) in a way that contradicts the rules of the forum. So ... I get banned, as I should.
I suppose you might say that I get banned (and/or infracted) due to intermittent phraseological ineptitude.

We miss you here. Maybe you could copy me and others in a PM.
That's nice of you to say. We should become PF friends ... for however long it might last. If only because it seems that we have similar taste in music. But also, I enjoy your thoughtful posts.

In any case, stop misbehaving!
It's a learning process, and I think I'm learning.
ThomasT
May10-12, 07:23 PM
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post
I always thought that was the coolest song in the world.
Thanks for the version you posted. I've always especially liked Neil Young's stuff as well. Most unique, original, and well done, imo.

Here's the original studio version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e3m_T-NMOs
ThomasT
May10-12, 07:34 PM
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
From an artistic perspective, as I said in all sincerity, I consider Floyd to be in a league of their own. They are a genre of one.
I agree. As all creators of great original music are. Thanks for your Pink Floyd postings. Most enjoyable.
ViewsofMars
May10-12, 07:52 PM
P: 463
[snip] In those days I was still fiddling with an acoustic guitar, a bit (a very small bit) of piano, some violin (literally fiddling), flute, recorder, trumpet, trombone, sax, etc. The intricacies and subtleties of electric guitar playing were, and still are, beyond me, though I think I can hear and appreciate much of it. I admire the people who can do things with an electric guitar that I really enjoy and can only imagine being able to do.
Very impressive. I play the harmonica, harp, violin, and drums. Oh my, I need a happy song since I injured my achilles tendon on each leg. Took a bad tumble three times and well...I need a tune to soothe my aches and horrid pain. Can you think of a tune that will make me laugh my woes away? Anybody? Somebody?

Pretty please.
ThomasT
May10-12, 08:03 PM
This is presented to ViewsofMars in the hope that ViewsofMars will reciprocate with a tune and a view of Mars (preferably in Technicolor, and, please, something other than the giant volcanic mountain, the 'face', or the 'canals'). I'm not sure what that leaves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQmZe_AVvZg
ThomasT
May10-12, 08:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKITp...feature=relmfu
ViewsofMars
May10-12, 08:30 PM
P: 463
This is presented to ViewsofMars in the hope that ViewsofMars will reciprocate with a tune and a view of Mars (preferably in Technicolor, and, please, something other than the giant volcanic mountain, the 'face', or the 'canals'). I'm not sure what that leaves.
Thomas, Frank Zappa - Muffin Man is not my cup of tea. The guy is a freak'n weirdo though I admit he makes me chuckle! Fortunately, I picked up the telephone and confirmed it with a dear friend. (lol) Well, it appears you want to see me. I will describe what I look like for you. ( No one can read this but YOU! tee-hee) Woman: green eyes, long sandy blonde hair, petite, 105lbs, smiling and ankle & legs hurting.) The first song that came to my mind is Cat Stevens - Moonshadow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGNxKnLmOH4

Listening to it right now and feeling much better! Thanks Thomas

Looks like you changed your mind from the the Muffin Man to another song! Sneeky you! lol!
ThomasT
May11-12, 05:18 AM
Quote Quote by ViewsofMars View Post
Listening to it right now and feeling much better! Thanks Thomas
You're welcome. Glad you're feeling better.

Quote Quote by ViewsofMars View Post
Looks like you changed your mind from the the Muffin Man to another song!
The second one is funnier, imo.
Borek
May11-12, 06:13 AM
Admin
P: 22,673
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
From an artistic perspective, as I said in all sincerity, I consider Floyd to be in a league of their own.
Agreed, but there are still others worth of listening to.

Register to reply