Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum

• Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
In summary: I would like to start a tutorial of my own.5. What do you think of the quality of the tutorials in the forum?I think they're good, but I think there could be more variety.
Moonbear said:
:rofl:

Hmm...SD, did your thesaurus have the noun versions of those words rather than adjectives?

God knows to be honest I wasn't paying attention. If you want to look them up just type thesaurus into google.

Physics news on Phys.org
tutorial (n)

Synonyms: class, lesson, seminar, lecture, discussion group
http://encarta.msn.com/thesaurus_/tutorial.html

Not helpful. The other thesauruses...thesauri...thesaur drat...I tried didn't have any entries or only had the adjective form. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, to sumarise the suggestions we have thus far:

1. Mathematics & Science Resources
  2. Mathematics & Science Guides
  3. Mathematics & Science Lessons
  4. Mathematics & Science Library

Out of the four I prefer resources or library (not sure whether Astro was joking though :wink:). After playing about with the thesaurus for a while I've come up with a few more suggestions,

• Mathematics & Science Learning Materials
  • Mathematics & Science Materials
  • Mathematics & Science Articles

Anyone else have any other ideas? All comments welcome :smile:

To be honest they all look pretty good, but since it's hard to decide between them not knowing how and what and why the way people interpret things, I think it would be a stirling idea (as mentioned by Moonbear) To put it to the vote, to see what the vox populai is, and then go from there. Obviously the final decision is in the hands of GB and the mentors, but I can't see any harm in asking...

I like number 1 personally but I could go for any of them. With a sticky saying:

Do not post homework questions here you marshmellow!

Or something simillar p'raps?

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
if we come up with a short list, we could always put it up for a member vote if we can't decide any other way
Schrodinger's Dog said:
To be honest they all look pretty good, but since it's hard to decide between them not knowing how and what and why the way people interpret things, I think it would be a stirling idea (as mentioned by Moonbear) To put it to the vote, to see what the vox populai is, and then go from there. Obviously the final decision is in the hands of GB and the mentors, but I can't see any harm in asking...
I agree that a vote is a good idea, perhaps as you say not to make the final decision, but it would help gauge the opinion of the general PF readership.

Hootenanny said:
Okay, to sumarise the suggestions we have thus far:

1. Mathematics & Science Resources
  2. Mathematics & Science Guides
  3. Mathematics & Science Lessons
  4. Mathematics & Science Library

Out of the four I prefer resources or library (not sure whether Astro was joking though :wink:). After playing about with the thesaurus for a while I've come up with a few more suggestions,

• Mathematics & Science Learning Materials
  • Mathematics & Science Materials
  • Mathematics & Science Articles

Anyone else have any other ideas? All comments welcome :smile:

Learning Resources?

I think Learning Materials seems to reflect the intent. The bottom line is that it contains texts or links to sites that have lectures or notes on a variety of math and science topics. The objective is to discourage HW postings, since we have HW and discussion forums for the purpose of HW and discussion.

Educational Resources?

Lectures in Science?

I like the learning materials version. That seems to describe the content well without ambiguity...I think.

I've just logged on now and seen that it's been changed. Thanks Greg :smile:

Looks good. Let's hope it works :smile:

Cool! Thanks Greg.

And thanks, Hoot, for your efforts.

Astronuc said:
And thanks, Hoot, for your efforts.
No problem, like Kurdt says, let's hope it works! It would be nice to get some feedback (after a suitable period of time) from the mentors on whether the name change has had any effect.

Hootenanny said:
It would be nice to get some feedback (after a suitable period of time) from the mentors on whether the name change has had any effect.
So it's coming up to a week after the forum has been renamed, have the mentors noticed a change in the number of inappropriate posts there, or has it all been a waste of time? :redface:

Hootenanny said:
So it's coming up to a week after the forum has been renamed, have the mentors noticed a change in the number of inappropriate posts there, or has it all been a waste of time? :redface:

Haha, talk about timing. I just reported one. I reported one other which is a decrease for me, but like you say it will be best if the mentors give their feedback.

Kurdt said:
Haha, talk about timing. I just reported one. I reported one other which is a decrease for me, but like you say it will be best if the mentors give their feedback.
Yeah, great timing :rolleyes:. That post really irritates me because they aren't even a new member, they've been here for nearly three years! :grumpy:

Kurdt said:
Yeah - I moved it. :rolleyes:

Hootenanny said:
Well - it's a bit like experimental or theoretical physics - we try something, and see if it works. If it works - great! If not - we try something else. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Well - it's a bit like experimental or theoretical physics - we try something, and see if it works. If it works - great! If not - we try something else. :biggrin:
I'll take that as a no then :blushing:. Oh well, back to the chalk board :grumpy:

Hootenanny said:
I'll take that as a no then :blushing:. Oh well, back to the chalk board :grumpy:
I like what Neil Turok said in his TEDtalk - "That's progress - when we prove things wrong". We're making progress! :rofl:

Well sometimes things don't go according to plan - but if one waits long enough - maybe they do. :biggrin:

Actually it's not that bad. The postings in M & S Learning Materials come and go.

Hootenanny said:
The problem is that only the main forum listing was changed, all of the subforums still say "tutorials", isn't that what is causing the confusion? If we change all of the tutorial subforum titles that might do the trick.

Evo said:
The problem is that only the main forum listing was changed, all of the subforums still say "tutorials", isn't that what is causing the confusion? If we change all of the tutorial subforum titles that might do the trick.
It may very well be the case Evo, I had noticed that the sub-forums had remained unchanged but didn't really want to bring it up.

Another possible reason is one which I have previously raised,
Hootenanny said:
Another point to consider is that when one logs in, the first forum at the top is the Tutorials Sub-Forum, perhaps it might also be an idea to move it down the list to below the Homework Forums.
New members, who are perhaps in a hurry to get their questions answered, won't bother looking through the guidelines or forum titles to see which is the most appropriate. Instead, they will probably just post their question in the first forum they see, which happens to be the Learning Materials forum. I apologise in advanced for making such a general statement of new members.

May be should have called it "Reading Room" or "Reference Section"?

Perhaps we need a sticky - "Post Questions in HW and discussion Forums".

Hootenanny said:
It may very well be the case Evo, I had noticed that the sub-forums had remained unchanged but didn't really want to bring it up.
<smacks Hootenanny on the forehead> You should have said something. I haven't been in this thread since it started, or I would have mentioned it. We need to change the subforum titles to see if it will help.

Another possible reason is one which I have previously raised,

New members, who are perhaps in a hurry to get their questions answered, won't bother looking through the guidelines or forum titles to see which is the most appropriate. Instead, they will probably just post their question in the first forum they see, which happens to be the Learning Materials forum. I apologise in advanced for making such a general statement of new members.
I agree, and the biggest problem is failure to pay attention. :grumpy:

Astronuc said:
May be should have called it "Reading Room" or "Reference Section"?
I think "learning materials" is the most explicit title we can give the forums, personally, I don't know how anyone can interpret "Math & Science Learning Materials" as a place to post questions and/or request homework assistance. :confused:

In my opinion it's more a matter of laziness: "I can't be bothered looking for the correct forum so I'll just post it in the first one I see".

Evo said:
<smacks Hootenanny on the forehead> You should have said something. I haven't been in this thread since it started, or I would have mentioned it. We need to change the subforum titles to see if it will help.
Ow! Well, I suppose should just be grateful you didn't use a fish.

Thanks for all your efforts Evo, I didn't realize quite how tenacious you are :approve:.

Hootenanny said:
Ow! Well, I suppose should just be grateful you didn't use a fish.
*pelts hoot with chum* Just for good measure.

I didn't realize quite how tenacious you are :approve:.
That's probably the nicest way I've been described, most people just call me annoying. :biggrin:

Now we've got to get Greg or chroot's attention and ask them if they will change the rest of the tutorial titles.

Hootenanny said:
I think "learning materials" is the most explicit title we can give the forums, personally, I don't know how anyone can interpret "Math & Science Learning Materials" as a place to post questions and/or request homework assistance. :confused:

In my opinion it's more a matter of laziness: "I can't be bothered looking for the correct forum so I'll just post it in the first one I see".

I was reflecting on the university library in which I spent a lot of time. They had a reference section.

I was thinking along the lines of Mathematics & Science Reference Room/Section. Basically it's for reading - not writing. But of course one can make a contribution - but that should be tutorials/lessons - not homework or other questions. That's what the other forums are for - and that is why I proposed restrictions on writing permissions. Set that section for -r--, except for approved contributors who get -rw-. But perhaps that too restrictive. AFAIK, the PF policy is to be as least restrictive as possible, but that also makes it easier for spammers and others who don't pay attention or otherwise.

Hootenanny said:
I agree.

Astronuc said:
That's what the other forums are for - and that is why I proposed restrictions on writing permissions. Set that section for -r--, except for approved contributors who get -rw-. But perhaps that too restrictive. AFAIK, the PF policy is to be as least restrictive as possible, but that also makes it easier for spammers and others who don't pay attention or otherwise.
As I have said in previous discussions, I totally agree with restricting posting permissions to the Learning Materials Forums, either based on post count, or preferably restrict posting to HH's, SA's, Mentors & Admin. I know that Greg wants to keep PF as open as possible, with as few restrictions as possible, which is rightly his decision.

However, I would like to point out that the likelihood of a new user posting something useful in the Learning Materials forum is negligible. That said, even if a new user or non-HH/SA wishes to post something in the Learning Materials section users could be allowed to submit their contributions to SA's/HH's/Mentors via PM/e-mail. The proposed tutorial could then placed in the SA/HH forums for review or posted straight away in the Learning Materials Forum. Personally, I have no problem with users sending me PM's/e-mail, especially if they were willing to contribute something to the forums; however, I understand that this may not be the case with other SA's/HH's/Mentors. I also realize that this will increase the workload for Mentors rather than reduce it, however, restricted posting permissions would in my opinion increase the academic integrity of the Learning Materials.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Now we've got to get Greg or chroot's attention and ask them if they will change the rest of the tutorial titles.
Damn your efficient Evo, I've just noticed that they've been changed :approve:. Thanks again for your efforts!

Hootenanny said:
Damn your efficient Evo, I've just noticed that they've been changed :approve:. Thanks again for your efforts!
Thank chroot, I saw him online and pm'd the request to him.

Evo said:
Thank chroot, I saw him online and pm'd the request to him.
In that case, thanks a lot chroot! :approve:

P.S. I'll send some more chocolates for you Evo when I get chance :smile:

Hootenanny said:
In that case, thanks a lot chroot! :approve:

P.S. I'll send some more chocolates for you Evo when I get chance :smile:
Or, since Kurdt is taking Evo to Death Valley, you could take her to some place like - Pike's Peak, or if high places aren't a good idea, how about the Great Salt Lake, or Bonneville Salt Flats!? :biggrin:

If you like lower places, there's always the Dead Sea. :uhh:

Astronuc said:
Or, since Kurdt is taking Evo to Death Valley,

I think we're going to Yellowstone now, or perhaps the Caribbean. :smile:

Kurdt said:
What!? And miss Death Valley in the Springtime!?

Kurdt said:
Oooh, let's do both! With the PF sister's Amphibious Supersonic RV, it'll be no problem. :approve:

<h2>1. What topics are covered in the Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum?</h2><p>The Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum covers a wide range of topics in both mathematics and science, including algebra, geometry, calculus, physics, biology, chemistry, and more. It is a place for students and professionals to share and learn about various concepts and techniques in these fields.</p><h2>2. Are the tutorials suitable for all levels of expertise?</h2><p>Yes, the tutorials in this sub-forum are suitable for all levels of expertise. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced learner, you can find helpful resources and discussions to enhance your understanding of mathematics and science.</p><h2>3. Can I request a tutorial on a specific topic?</h2><p>Yes, you can request a tutorial on a specific topic by creating a new thread in the sub-forum. Other members may be able to provide helpful resources or explanations for your requested topic.</p><h2>4. How can I contribute to the Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum?</h2><p>There are several ways to contribute to this sub-forum. You can share your own tutorials, participate in discussions, provide feedback and suggestions, and help answer questions from other members. Your contributions can help create a valuable learning community for everyone.</p><h2>5. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in this sub-forum?</h2><p>Yes, there are rules and guidelines that members are expected to follow when posting in this sub-forum. These include being respectful to others, providing accurate information, and avoiding plagiarism. Please read the forum rules before posting to ensure a positive and productive environment for all members.</p>

1. What topics are covered in the Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum?

The Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum covers a wide range of topics in both mathematics and science, including algebra, geometry, calculus, physics, biology, chemistry, and more. It is a place for students and professionals to share and learn about various concepts and techniques in these fields.

2. Are the tutorials suitable for all levels of expertise?

Yes, the tutorials in this sub-forum are suitable for all levels of expertise. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced learner, you can find helpful resources and discussions to enhance your understanding of mathematics and science.

3. Can I request a tutorial on a specific topic?

Yes, you can request a tutorial on a specific topic by creating a new thread in the sub-forum. Other members may be able to provide helpful resources or explanations for your requested topic.

4. How can I contribute to the Mathematics & Science Tutorials Sub-Forum?

There are several ways to contribute to this sub-forum. You can share your own tutorials, participate in discussions, provide feedback and suggestions, and help answer questions from other members. Your contributions can help create a valuable learning community for everyone.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in this sub-forum?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines that members are expected to follow when posting in this sub-forum. These include being respectful to others, providing accurate information, and avoiding plagiarism. Please read the forum rules before posting to ensure a positive and productive environment for all members.