Solve The Law of the Machine | 750kg Load, 26N Effort

In summary, a screw jack with a single start thread of pitch 7mm and an operating handle of 800mm can raise a load of 750kg with an effort of 26N. The mechanical advantage is 282.98, the velocity ratio is 718.07, and the efficiency is 39.40%. To determine the law of the machine, the values of 'a' and 'b' can be obtained by substituting the given values of E and W in the law of machines and solving the resulting system of linear equations.
series111

Homework Statement

A screw jack has a single start thread of pitch 7mm and a operating handle 800mm long.when raising a load of 750kg the effort required on thev end of the handle is 26N.
determine for these operating conditions the following :
(a) the mechanical advantage
(b) the velocity ratio
(c) the efficiency of the machine
(d) the law of the machine

Homework Equations

ma = load/effort
vr = 2 x pie x r/p
effiency of the machine = ma/vr x 100%
law of the machine = E = aw+b

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) mechanical advantage = 750 x 9.81/26N = 282.98

(b) the velocity ratio = 2 x pie x 800mm/7mm = 718.07

(c) the effiency of the machine = 282.98/718.07 x 100% = 39.40%

(d) the law of the machine this is where i am struggling i no the formula is E = aw+b

where a is the velocity ratio and w is the load however what does the b stand for and if i need to caculate this how do i do this please help ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute the values of E,a,w in the law of machines to obtain the value of b (it is a constant).

so i have transposed correctly i think and have came up with this :

b = E-a/w

therefore b = 26n - 718.07/750 x 9.81 = 16.60

thanks for the quick reply

sorry to reply again as i have misread part (e) in the question

it says if the effort needed to raise a load of 400kg is 17N determine :

the law of the machine.

also should the law of the machine when calculated total 17N

thanks again mark

series111 said:
also should the law of the machine when calculated total 17N

I don't understand what you mean by this.

However, you have been provided with two sets of values for E and W. Substitute these in the law of machines, and obtain the values of 'a' and 'b' by solving the system of linear equations that you get.

What is the Law of the Machine?

The Law of the Machine is a principle in physics that states that the effort applied to a machine is equal to the load multiplied by the distance over which the load is moved.

What is the significance of a 750kg load in the Law of the Machine?

The 750kg load is the amount of weight or force being applied to the machine. It is an important factor in determining the effort needed to move the load.

What is the 26N effort in relation to the Law of the Machine?

The 26N effort refers to the amount of force or energy being applied to the machine in order to move the 750kg load. It is a key component in understanding the relationship between effort and load in the Law of the Machine.

How is the Law of the Machine used in practical applications?

The Law of the Machine is used in various fields, such as engineering and physics, to calculate the amount of effort needed to move a specific load. It is also used in designing and optimizing machines to make them more efficient and effective.

What are some common challenges when applying the Law of the Machine?

Some common challenges when applying the Law of the Machine include accounting for friction, accounting for the weight of the machine itself, and taking into consideration external factors such as wind or uneven surfaces. It is important to accurately measure and account for these variables in order to get an accurate calculation of effort needed to move the load.