First order linear ODE-integrating factor has absolute value in it

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a first-order linear ODE using an integrating factor. The problem at hand involves an integrating factor with an absolute value, which causes confusion for the participants. It is mentioned that in some cases, the absolute value can be ignored, but caution must be taken and it is not always the case. The participants provide an example where the absolute value can be ignored and another example where it must remain, resulting in different solutions.
kingwinner
First order linear ODE-integrating factor with absolute value?!

Homework Statement

Solve the ODE y' + (3/t) y = t3.

2. Homework Equations /concepts
1st order linear ODE

The Attempt at a Solution

Integrating factor
=exp ∫(3/t)dt
=exp (3ln|t| + k)
=exp (ln|t|3) (take constant of integration k=0)
=|t|3

If the integrating factor were |t|2 = t2, I wouldn't have any problem with it, the absolute value is gone, luckily.
But now here in this case, multiplying both sides of the ODE by |t|3, the absolute value is giving me trouble. How can I proceed? Can I just forget about the absolute value and mutliply the ODE simply by t3? (I've seen a lot of people doing this, but I don't think it's correct...)

I am never able to understand how to deal with problems like this. What is the correct way to handle these problems where there is an absolute value sign in the integrating factor?

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In those types of questions you don't need to always have to use |t|, you can use it as just t or in your case t3

rock.freak667 said:
In those types of questions you don't need to always have to use |t|, you can use it as just t or in your case t3

But that automatically means that you're assuming t>0, and in the problem there is no restriction on t (t can be negative, right?).

kingwinner said:
But that automatically means that you're assuming t>0, and in the problem there is no restriction on t (t can be negative, right?).

I believe if you take both cases for t>0 |t|=t and for t<0 |t|= -t, your general solution is the same.

rock.freak667 said:
I believe if you take both cases for t>0 |t|=t and for t<0 |t|= -t, your general solution is the same.

um...why? Can we always ignore the absolute value that appears in the integrating factor?

Last edited:
kingwinner said:
um...why? Can we always ignore the absolute value that appears in the integrating factor?

because when you multiply the ODE by |t3| we get:

y|t3|=∫|t3|t3 dt

Check what happens for t>0 (|t| = t) and t<0 (|t|=-t)

rock.freak667 said:
because when you multiply the ODE by |t3| we get:

y|t3|=∫|t3|t3 dt

Check what happens for t>0 (|t| = t) and t<0 (|t|=-t)

So in this example, if t>0, we multiply the whole ODE equation by t^3
And if t<0, we multiply the whole ODE equation by -t^3, which gives the exact same equation as the above case since we can cancel out the negatives from both sides.
Therefore, in either case, the general solution must be the same, right?

I've read an example on the web in which the integrating factor is |t|^2 = t^2 and they commented: "We were able to drop the absolute value bars here because we were squaring the t, but often they can’t be dropped so be careful with them and don’t drop them unless you know that you can. Often the absolute value bars must remain."

But I don't know why the absolute value bars must remain in most cases?? Can someone please give me an example in which the absolute value bars must reamin in the integrating factor and would get different answers for the different cases??

Help...I am confused...

What is a first order linear ODE?

A first order linear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivative. It can be written in the form of y' + p(x)y = g(x), where p(x) and g(x) are functions of x and y' represents the derivative of y with respect to x.

What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function that is multiplied to both sides of a first order linear ODE to transform it into an exact differential equation, making it easier to solve. It is usually denoted by the symbol u(x) and is determined by the coefficients of the differential equation.

Why does the integrating factor have an absolute value in it?

The absolute value in the integrating factor is necessary to ensure that the solution obtained is valid for all values of x. This is because the integrating factor is derived from the coefficients of the differential equation, which may be negative, and taking the absolute value accounts for this possibility.

What is the purpose of using an integrating factor?

The main purpose of using an integrating factor is to transform a first order linear ODE into an exact differential equation, which can be solved using standard integration techniques. This makes it easier to find a solution to the original differential equation.

Can other types of differential equations use an integrating factor?

Yes, an integrating factor can also be used for higher order linear and non-linear differential equations. However, the method for determining the integrating factor may differ from the first order linear case.