Systems Of Equations Word Problems

In summary, systems of equations word problems are mathematical problems involving multiple equations and variables. They can be solved using methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These problems are important as they allow us to model real-world situations and are used in various fields. Some common mistakes to avoid when solving these problems include not setting up the equations correctly and not checking the solution for accuracy. Systems of equations word problems can have any number of equations, but with more equations, the problem may become more complex.
themadhatter1
Homework Statement
A small corporation borrowed $1,500,000 to expand it's product line. Some of the money was borrowed at 8%, some at 9%, and some at 12%. How much was borrowed at each rate if the annual interest was $133,000 and the amount borrowed at 8% was 4 times the amount borrowed at 12%

attachment.php?attachmentid=26851&stc=1&d=1278366366.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I know you could write the total money borrowed and interest equations as

a+b+c=1,500,000
.08a+.09b+.12c=133,000

However I don't know how to write the equation where the amount 'a' borrowed is 4 times the amount 'c' borrowed.

A.
I'm not even sure how I'd start to write a system of equations for this.

Something like this?
x3+x4-x5+x6+x7+500=600
x1+x2-x3-x4+x5+600=500
Am I on the right track? What would you do with the constant at the end subtract it from the RHS of the equation?

Attachments

• Matrix 1.jpeg
    Matrix 1.jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 924
Physics news on Phys.org
themadhatter1 said:
Homework Statement
A small corporation borrowed $1,500,000 to expand it's product line. Some of the money was borrowed at 8%, some at 9%, and some at 12%. How much was borrowed at each rate if the annual interest was $133,000 and the amount borrowed at 8% was 4 times the amount borrowed at 12%

attachment.php?attachmentid=26851&stc=1&d=1278366366.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I know you could write the total money borrowed and interest equations as

a+b+c=1,500,000
.08a+.09b+.12c=133,000

However I don't know how to write the equation where the amount 'a' borrowed is 4 times the amount 'c' borrowed.k
You're going to want to slap your forehead.
a = 4c is the third equation.
themadhatter1 said:
A.
I'm not even sure how I'd start to write a system of equations for this.

Something like this?
x3+x4-x5+x6+x7+500=600
x1+x2-x3-x4+x5+600=500
Am I on the right track? What would you do with the constant at the end subtract it from the RHS of the equation?
It doesn't look like you're on the right track here at all. Look again at what they said about water flowing into a junction being equal to the water flowing out of the same junction.

For each of the six junctions write an equation that represents the flows. For example in the upper left junction, 600 = x1 + x2. Do a similar analysis on each of the junctions. BTW, you ought to assign numbers to the junctions, with possibly the upper left one being junction 1, the upper middle one being junction 2, and so on. It doesn't matter much how you label them, but it might help you be more organized.

For part a, you should get 6 equations in 7 unknowns, so you won't be able to get a unique solution. The b and c parts should allow you to get unique solutions.

1. Haha. Don't know how that slipped me.

Ok, I think I understand this but, for the upper left one wouldn't it be 600=x1+x3 because the 2 outputs of the upper left junction are x1 and x3?

themadhatter1 said:
1. Haha. Don't know how that slipped me.

Ok, I think I understand this but, for the upper left one wouldn't it be 600=x1+x3 because the 2 outputs of the upper left junction are x1 and x3?
Right. I was thinking x3, but must have hit the wrong key.

1. What are systems of equations word problems?

Systems of equations word problems are mathematical problems that involve multiple equations with multiple variables. These problems typically require you to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously.

2. How do I solve systems of equations word problems?

To solve systems of equations word problems, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate one variable and then using its value to solve for the other variables.

3. Why are systems of equations word problems important?

Systems of equations word problems are important because they allow us to model real-world situations and make predictions or solve problems. They are used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics to analyze and understand complex systems.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving systems of equations word problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving systems of equations word problems include not setting up the equations correctly, making errors in algebraic manipulations, and not checking the solution for accuracy. It is important to carefully read the problem and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can systems of equations word problems have more than two equations?

Yes, systems of equations word problems can have any number of equations. In fact, the more equations there are, the more accurate the solution will be. However, with more equations, the problem may become more complex and difficult to solve.