Uncovering the Math Behind a Mysterious Paradox

In summary, the mathamatical truth is that there is no clear logical foundation for the series S'(n) = 6*S(n-1)-S(n-2). However, by solving for S(n) using the recurrence relation S'(n) = Ar^{n} + Bs^{n} + 1, you can find that the series is truly S(n) = 6*S(n-1)-S(n-2).
ramsey2879
I discovered a mathamatical truth that seems to have no clear logical foundation. Could anyone here explain the math behind the following?

A.Given the following recursive series:

S(1) = 3
S(2) = 2
S(n) = 6*S(n-1) - S(n-2) - 4

Define a new series as follows
N(i) = (S(i) + S(i+1) + 1)/2

B.Now note that for all i
1) S(i)*S(i+1) = N(i)*(N(i) + 1)/2
2) (N(i) + N(i +1) + 1)/4 = S(i+1)
3) N(i)*N(i+1)/4 = S(i+1)*(S(i+1) + 1)/2

C. A even more amazing paradox is that you can rewrite line 2 of part A as S(2) = 12, and make no other changes except to redo the math. Still B1, B2, and B3 again hold true!

What factors lurk in the background of this paradox?
Could yet another number be substituted for the numbers 2 or 12 in line 2 of part A?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know there's a straightforward procedure to solve recurrence relations of that type, right?

Second order linear homogeneous recurrences like that are of the form
S(n) = A rn + B sn
unless they degenerate; I forget how to treat them when they degenerate.

Paradox? :confused:

Hurkyl said:
You know there's a straightforward procedure to solve recurrence relations of that type, right?

Second order linear homogeneous recurrences like that are of the form
S(n) = A rn + B sn
unless they degenerate; I forget how to treat them when they degenerate.

Paradox? :confused:

I saw that before but I lost the book that it was in. Is the a website that explains how to do so. Don't worry about the -4 in the recursive relation of my amended post. By subtracting 1 from each S(i) term you get a series that is truly S(n) = 6*S(n-1)-S(n-2)! So I would subtract 1 from each term solve to get the series S'(n) then write [tex]S(n) = Ar^{n} + Bs^{n} + 1[/tex] where A and B are derived from the series S'(n).

Last edited:

1. What is the mysterious paradox?

The mysterious paradox is a mathematical concept that seems to contradict itself, leading to confusion and debate among mathematicians.

2. How is this paradox relevant to real-life situations?

While the paradox may seem abstract, it has practical applications in fields such as economics, physics, and computer science. Understanding the underlying math can help us make sense of seemingly contradictory situations in the real world.

3. Can you explain the math behind the paradox?

The math behind the paradox is based on set theory and infinite sums. It involves manipulating infinite sets and sequences to create seemingly impossible scenarios.

4. Why is this paradox important in the world of mathematics?

The paradox challenges our understanding of logic and infinity, forcing us to think critically and question our assumptions. It also leads to new discoveries and advancements in mathematical theory.

5. Are there any famous examples of this paradox?

Yes, there are several famous examples of this paradox, including the Banach-Tarski paradox and the Hilbert's paradox of the Grand Hotel. These examples demonstrate the counterintuitive nature of the paradox and its implications for mathematical concepts.