Easily distracted/short attention span?

• Thread starter kraphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Span
In summary: People. If you can, make an appointment with a doctor, as these types of issues you just described ARE correctable/manageable under the proper care, and all will be good.But YOU must take that step.Good luck my friend.
kraphysics
I have an extremely short attention span and get distracted very easily. I have trouble studying unless there is some background noise. I often study in front of the TV because studying alone quietly is almost torture for me. Also I am quite ashamed of this fact but, I have never finished reading a book in my entire life. I either get distracted and/or bored and just stop or skim through it. Even with the books that are assigned in school, I just read the summary from internet. It amazes me how some people can read so much.
My interests also change rapidly. For example, I was really interested in History, so then I would pay attention in class but in other classes, I can't concentrate at all. Nowadays, I am obsessed with Physics, and have finished the curriculum in advance while, the class is way behind. But I can't even bother to do homework in other subjects. The homework takes me extremely long because my mind constantly wanders off and I get distracted by thinking about Physics all the time. I feel like a freak. Does anyone else experience this?

Also, during presentations I am very scatterbrained and unorganized in my thoughts. I'll quickly mention something and move on to a different thought without bothering to explaining the previous one! My teachers get frustrated and people think I am stupid because I seem very unorganized/inarticulate..

Physics news on Phys.org
Look, your OK.
If you can, make an appointment with a doctor, as these types of issues you just described ARE correctable/manageable under the proper care, and all will be good.
But YOU must take that step.

Good luck my friend.

I often think I might have ADHD. Do you think this is likely?

Oh, how I know what it fe

epenguin said:
Oh, how I know what it fe

LOl, what?

kraphysics said:
LOl, what?

A shiny red ball bounced by as he was posting :wink:.

One thing is for sure. You won't get changed miraculously by reading out few of your suggestions. And this post is no exception. It seems that you know what you should be doing but you are too carefree to do it. You need to build will power .

First, unplug the TV and cancel your cable subscription. TV actually trains your mind to have a worthless attention span, by constantly showing you little snippets and cutting to 30-second commercials.

Second, sit down quietly and read a book. Find one you think will be interesting, not too dauntingly long at first. Set yourself a timer, and force yourself to read for 1 hour a day. Then increase it to 2 hours, etc. You want to train yourself to have a longer attention span. Eventually, you should be able to effortlessly read anything on a topic that is actually interesting to you for any desired amount of time.

Third, try to do some creative things that take time and concentration. This could be painting, model building, writing, whatever. Whatever it is, just pick one and try to stick with it for a while. Avoid using the computer; the internet is just as distracting as TV. Like before, set a timer and make yourself work on something, in silence, for an hour at a time.

If you're having trouble concentrating on homework, same method: eliminate all distractions and learn how to focus. You're not crazy or unusual, but you need to learn discipline.

The problem Ben, is that the more you try, the harder it is and the more distracted you get. I've dealt with this myself. I had to start taking Prozac because i was so frustrated with myself that I couldn't do anything I wanted to do. No matter what I tried to do, I could not focus on it long enough to get any better. Drawing, playing an instrument, writing, nothing. In the end I simply could not do it.

kraphysics said:

My understanding of PF guidlines is that it is not appropriate to offer medical advice or interpretation, but IS appropriate to suggest medical intervention.
That is, instead of saying "I think you need this and that drug or whatever" It is more appropriate to say something like "I think you should go to a doctor"

Best wishes...

kraphysics said:
[...]

Also, during presentations I am very scatterbrained and unorganized in my thoughts. I'll quickly mention something and move on to a different thought without bothering to explaining the previous one! My teachers get frustrated and people think I am stupid because I seem very unorganized/inarticulate..

Do you use an outline? If not, I highly recommend doing so. Make an outline (with notes) and stick to it. It will make giving a coherent, logical presentation much easier! It is very difficult to wing-it when you're standing in front of an audience. You should also practice your presentation at least once before giving it.

kraphysics said:

I don't know this as I'm not a doctor. But I suggest you see a doctor and tell him about your problems! If you do happen to have ADHD (which is quite possible!), then the doctor will subscribe you proper medication. These things really help!

A lot of times when I'm reading a book, I'll be reading, then start thinking about something else while staring at the book. I'll realize I stopped reading and then continue, but I don't know how long I was just sitting there thinking. It's probably only a minute at most, but that really makes it hard for me to read books.
Sometimes I'll be reading and my mind will be elsewhere while I'm reading. I read the words, but I don't comprehend them, so I have to read it again. I get into a reading autopilot which does no good for learning.

You're just lazy. Work harder.

PhDorBust said:
You're just lazy. Work harder.

Are you serious or are you just trolling? Do you honestly think that everybody with mental issues is lazy??

Its not a "mental issue." It's also not laziness. It's probably a very treatable condition. You sound like you have it pretty bad. I had a mild touch of it myself.

Once when I got a flu virus I took some Sudafed. I was "corrected" for about a day. If you've ever had brief periods where you're fine, it's likely treatable.

Go see a doctor. They can probably help you out.

This isn't medical advice but it's serious.

micromass said:
Are you serious or are you just trolling? Do you honestly think that everybody with mental issues is lazy??

Do you think everybody who is lazy has mental issues?

I would be very wary of medicating yourself to achieve a certain behavior.

PhDorBust said:
Do you think everybody who is lazy has mental issues?

I would be very wary of medicating yourself to achieve a certain behavior.

Truth is, we don't know. We can't diagnose the OP. That's why the advice to him/her is, go see a doc. A proper diagnosis is needed.

Yes. I should probably see a doctor. But how do they find out if you have ADHD or not? I assume it's simply based on symptoms and what you tell them, thus I feel it can never be very accurate..

kraphysics said:
Yes. I should probably see a doctor. But how do they find out if you have ADHD or not? I assume it's simply based on symptoms and what you tell them, thus I feel it can never be very accurate..

You are 100% correct.
Mental disorders are NOT verified by, say, a blood test. It's totally subjective; your answers to AMA authurorized standardized questions.

kraphysics said:

No. Extensive tests can be done. As one example, they can test your reaction time. ADHDers invariably overanticipate events, not having the ability to wait to see the stimulus before reacting, etc.

I have a child with ADHD, and it is quite distinct from someone who "simply" has trouble concentrating. There is a whole spectrum of symptoms (all of which, singly, are quite normal) and the diagnosis is based on the sum total.

It is a popular diagnosis these days, with a lot of false positives, giving it a bad rap, but that doens't mean there aren't valid positives.

1. What causes someone to have a short attention span?

There are a variety of factors that can contribute to a person having a short attention span. These may include genetics, neurological differences, environmental factors, and learned behaviors. It is important to consult with a medical professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

2. How can someone improve their attention span?

There are several strategies that can help improve attention span, such as practicing mindfulness, minimizing distractions, breaking tasks into smaller chunks, and establishing a routine. It may also be helpful to identify and address any underlying issues that may be contributing to the short attention span.

3. Is a short attention span a sign of a learning disability?

Having a short attention span does not necessarily mean that someone has a learning disability. However, it is important to assess for any potential learning disabilities or other underlying issues that may be causing the short attention span. A professional evaluation can help determine the cause and provide appropriate support and treatment.

4. Can medication help with a short attention span?

Medication may be recommended for individuals with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or other neurological conditions that can cause a short attention span. However, medication should always be prescribed and monitored by a licensed medical professional. It is not a one-size-fits-all solution and other strategies may also be needed for managing a short attention span.

5. Can a short attention span be outgrown?

While some children may outgrow a short attention span as they mature, it is possible for adults to continue experiencing attention difficulties. It is important to address and manage a short attention span regardless of age, as it can impact daily functioning and overall quality of life. Seeking professional support and implementing appropriate strategies can help improve attention and focus.