Recommended Resources for Learning Computer Networks and Network Programming

In summary, the individual wants to learn about computer networks and create a simple bot for online gaming. They are seeking recommendations for books and are interested in learning network programming. They are considering a book that covers TCP/IP and are also curious about any prerequisites needed for these topics. They receive a recommendation for a book on networking and protocols, and are advised to learn the basics before delving into network programming.
brushman
As a summer project which I wanted to do last summer but failed, I want to learn some stuff about computer networks and as an end result be able to make a simple bot that can play some simple online game.

What got made me gave up last time was I was using a packet sniffer and I had no idea how to interpret the information.

So, any recommendations that would be particularly suited for my task? What about other books that I might end up needing?

Honestly I don't really know what I'm doing but I figure in the end if I end up learning anything at all it'll be worth it.

Thanks,
Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks physiker, that one looks pretty good.

Out of curiosity, what are typical "pre-reqs" for the linked book and those similar?

brushman said:
Thanks physiker, that one looks pretty good.

Out of curiosity, what are typical "pre-reqs" for the linked book and those similar?
You're welcome.
The only pre-reqs you need is interest (as long as you are not planning on tackling any hardware design), more or less anyone who is keen on computers should be able to read it.BTW, for the bot that you mentioned, you would need knowledge of network programming too, for which understanding of the network protocols is essential, the above book or any relevant material should be helpful beforehand.

Sorry that I'm a little confused:

Do I need to learn network programming before or after the data communications stuff, or is it something I learn simultaneously?

Does the book you linked treat both subjects or would I need to look into other texts?

Also, does this book look good?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471661864/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The CD that comes with it seems really helpful.

brushman said:
Sorry that I'm a little confused:

Do I need to learn network programming before or after the data communications stuff, or is it something I learn simultaneously?

Does the book you linked treat both subjects or would I need to look into other texts?

Also, does this book look good?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471661864/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The CD that comes with it seems really helpful.

Learning network programming should come at a later stage once you get hold of the basic networking protocols. The book I mentioned tackles only the basic networking & protocols, as network programming is a more specialized topic.

As for the book you mentioned, I can't judge it since I haven't used it, but if you find yourself comfortable with it then just go ahead and use it.

1. What is an introductory networks book?

An introductory networks book is a resource that provides an overview and basic understanding of computer networks, including their components, protocols, and functions. It is designed for individuals who are new to the field and want to learn the fundamentals of computer networking.

2. Who is the target audience for an introductory networks book?

The target audience for an introductory networks book is often students, professionals, or individuals who have little to no prior knowledge or experience with computer networks. It can also be beneficial for those who have a basic understanding of networks but want to solidify their knowledge and skills.

3. What topics are typically covered in an introductory networks book?

An introductory networks book may cover a range of topics, including network architectures, protocols, devices, programming, security, and troubleshooting. It may also provide an introduction to advanced concepts and technologies, such as cloud computing and virtualization.

4. How can an introductory networks book benefit someone interested in the field?

An introductory networks book can provide a strong foundation of knowledge and understanding for someone interested in pursuing a career in the field of computer networking. It can also help individuals improve their technical skills and prepare them for further study or certification exams.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading an introductory networks book?

While some basic knowledge of computers and technology may be beneficial, most introductory networks books do not require any prerequisites. They are designed to be accessible to all readers and provide a comprehensive introduction to the subject matter.