Why is blood plasma called a plasma?

In summary: So it's the origin of the word, not the other way around.Interesting. It's in a letter from nature, I'd be prepared to stake that it was true (or at least as true as we are going to get).
Edi
A plasma is a gas (or, I guess a liquid, at high enough pressure or.. cause of other properties..?) witch has its electrons separated from the rest of the atom, witch is now a ion. So it is a mixture of free electrons and ions.
Is blood plasma really this? I cannot find any information on this specific question anywhere. :(

Biology news on Phys.org
Nope, blood plasma has nothing to do with the ionized gas. It is just the same name.

well. that is really unsatisfying.
But thanks..
Maybe a history of WHY it is called a plasma and misleading people like me?

Edi said:

No idea, I would be interested to read about as well.

Edi said:
A plasma is a gas (or, I guess a liquid, at high enough pressure or.. cause of other properties..?) witch has its electrons separated from the rest of the atom, witch is now a ion. So it is a mixture of free electrons and ions.
Is blood plasma really this? I cannot find any information on this specific question anywhere. :(

I think the problem is that we are speaking in English. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_plasma" [Broken] physicists talk about. I can't find exactly what came first, quoting the physicist wiki article

Plasma was first identified in a Crookes tube, and so described by Sir William Crookes in 1879 (he called it "radiant matter"). The nature of the Crookes tube "cathode ray" matter was subsequently identified by British physicist Sir J.J. Thomson in 1897, and dubbed "plasma" by Irving Langmuir in 1928

And in the blood plasma article

In the late 1930s and early 1940s, Dr. Charles R. Drew's research led to the discovery that blood could be separated into blood plasma and red blood cells, and that the plasma could be frozen separately. Blood stored in this way lasted longer and was less likely to become contaminated.

So they may have came into usage at roughly the same time. It's unlikely that blood plasma would be named after the physics version (and vice versa) so it's possible that "plasma" meant something else and both fields took the term from that. I'd be interested to know the answer :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am to trust this site, it seems the biological version came first. The story looks made up but I couldn't find anything else regarding this.
“We noticed the similarity of the discharge structures. (…) Langmuir pointed out the importance and probable wide bearing of this fact. We struggled to find a name for it. For all members of the team realized that the credit for a discovery goes not to the man who makes it, but to the man who names it. Witness the name of our continent. We tossed around names like ‘uniform discharge’, ‘homogeneous discharge’, ‘equilibrium discharge’; and for the dark or light regions surrounding electrodes, names like ‘auras’, haloes’, and so forth. But one day Langmuir came in triumphantly and said he had it. He pointed out that the ‘equilibrium’ part of the discharge acted as a sort of sub-stratum carrying particles of special kinds, like high-velocity electrons from thermionic filaments, molecules and ions of gas impurities. This reminds him of the way blood plasma carries around red and white corpuscles and germs. So he proposed to call our ‘uniform discharge’ a ‘plasma’. Of course we all agreed.But then we were in for it. For a long time we were pestered by requests from medical journals for reprints of our articles.

mishrashubham said:
If I am to trust this site, it seems the biological version came first. The story looks made up but I couldn't find anything else regarding this.

Interesting. It's in a letter from nature, I'd be prepared to stake that it was true (or at least as true as we are going to get).

ryan_m_b said:
Interesting. It's in a letter from nature, I'd be prepared to stake that it was true (or at least as true as we are going to get).

On second thought it does seem like a reputable site.

The results of my Google based researches:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=plasma&searchmode=none
plasma
1712, "form, shape" (earlier plasm, 1620), from L.L. plasma, from Gk. plasma "something molded or created," from plassein "to mold," originally "to spread thin," from PIE *plath-yein, from base *pele- "flat, to spread" (see plane (1)). Sense of "liquid part of blood" is from 1845; that of "ionized gas" is 1928.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/plasma
plas·ma
noun
1. Anatomy, Physiology . the liquid part of blood or lymph, as distinguished from the suspended elements.

Neither is it the only time physics has borrowed from biology - 'fission' is a term that followed the same path.

Edi said:
But thanks..

This is not any scientific issue; it is an issue of the roots of our language in Greek.

Plasma is Greek for 'formative substance' - a general term, obviously picked up independently by both historical physicists and historical biologists.

http://www.angelfire.com/de/nestsite/modbiogreek.html

Edi said:

The term 'plasma' for the liquid part of blood dates from 1845; that for a gas of charged particles from 1928:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=plasma

http://www.pnas.org/content/14/8/627.full.pdf+html

"We shall use the name plasma to describe this region containing balanced charges of ions and electrons." (from the above)

I couldn't find the 1845 reference.

Andy Resnick said:
The term 'plasma' for the liquid part of blood dates from 1845; that for a gas of charged particles from 1928:
Yes, but that doesn't help the OP understand the reuse of the word.

Edi said:

If you dislike various unrelated things having the same name, you should probably take up a language other than English. :smile:

phinds said:
If you dislike various unrelated things having the same name, you should probably take up a language other than English. :smile:

bold mine

You mean like fly (the insect), fly (like a bird), fly (as on pants), fly (as with flee), fly (as in flywheel), fly (as in the edge of a flag) and more?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fly

Note the first two are "biological" for what it's worth.

Last edited:
As if other languages were better. In Polish "droga" means "road", "dear" and "expensive".

SW VandeCarr said:
You mean like fly (the insect), fly (like a bird), fly (as on pants), fly (as with flee), fly (as in flywheel), fly (as in the edge of a flag) and more?

In English, you can do that sort of list all day long. I once read a statement that said some to the effect that while most language take in some foreign words, the English language hunts them down wholesale and kidnaps them.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, but that doesn't help the OP understand the reuse of the word.

Sigh... opening paragraph of wikipedia has:

"and dubbed "plasma" by Irving Langmuir in 1928,[4] perhaps because it characteristic that the glowing discharge mold itself to any shape into which the tube is formed.[5]".

Note the definition of 'plasma':

1712, "form, shape" (earlier plasm, 1620), from L.L. plasma, from Gk. plasma "something molded or created," from plassein "to mold," originally "to spread thin," from PIE *plath-yein, from base *pele- "flat, to spread" (see plane (1))

I wonder if the OP bothered to look around...

Andy Resnick said:

I think some folks think that research is something that other people should do for them.

Andy Resnick said:

In their defense, often looking around means asking trusted resources - such as a physics forum. I don't see why they deserve derision for asking.

When I have car repair or computer or medical questions I could
a] noodle around on the web and take my chances, or
b] ask some pople I trust.

DaveC426913 said:
In their defense, often looking around means asking trusted resources - such as a physics forum. I don't see why they deserve derision for asking.

Dave your point is reasonable and I may be too hard on the OP but I would personally feel lazy if I did not make some effort to find an answer to this kind of question myself before asking others. By "this kind of question" I mean one that requires no specialized knowledge to know how to phrase the question and how to understand the answer. English language is the only requirement I see for the OP's question. If I have a question for which I don't feel fully qualified to phrase the question and/or understand the answer, then I might go straight to a forum such as this to get knowledge and/or advice on where to look next.

DaveC426913 said:

It should be healthy mix of both. Internet searching could give a general direction and fine tuning it can be done by asking real people.

Question has been answered, discussion is off topic as of now. Thread locked.

1. What is blood plasma?

Blood plasma is the liquid component of blood that makes up about 55% of the total volume of blood. It is mostly composed of water, proteins, and other important substances such as electrolytes, hormones, and antibodies.

2. Why is blood plasma called a plasma?

Blood plasma is called a plasma because of its similarity to the fourth state of matter, which is also called plasma. Just like the state of matter, blood plasma also contains ionized particles and is electrically conductive.

3. How is blood plasma different from regular plasma?

Blood plasma is different from regular plasma found in physics because it contains a higher concentration of proteins and other substances needed for the body's functions. Regular plasma, on the other hand, is a gas-like state of matter with no proteins or other substances present.

4. What is the purpose of blood plasma?

Blood plasma serves many important functions in the body. It helps to maintain blood pressure and volume, transports important substances such as hormones and nutrients, and plays a crucial role in the immune system by carrying antibodies and other immune components.

5. Is blood plasma the same as serum?

No, blood plasma and serum are not the same. While blood plasma is the liquid portion of blood, serum is the liquid that remains after blood coagulation. This means that serum does not contain clotting factors, while blood plasma does. Serum also has a lower concentration of proteins compared to blood plasma.