What is the divergence of vector field F(x,y,z) = (-x+y)i + (y+z)j + (-z+x)k?

In summary: You should review the definition of del. It is a vector operation that can be applied to any vector or scalar field. It is not just the gradient of something. In summary, the conversation is about finding the divergence of a vector field, where the divergence is defined as the sum of the partial derivatives of the field's components. The misunderstanding was clarified about the del operator, which is not just the gradient of a field, but a vector operation that can be applied to any field.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

F(x,y,z) = (-x+y)i + (y+z)j + (-z+x)k

Find divergence

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The gradient is
-i + j + -k

Dotting that with F, I get

x - y + y + z + z - x
=
2z

My book lists the answer as -1. What the heck are they talking about? (they did not ask me to evaluate for any point)

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

F(x,y,z) = (-x+y)i + (y+z)j + (-z+x)k

Find divergence

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The gradient is
-i + j + -k

Dotting that with F, I get

x - y + y + z + z - x
=
2z

My book lists the answer as -1. What the heck are they talking about? (they did not ask me to evaluate for any point)

I think you are misunderstanding the definition of divergence. ∇.F doesn't mean grad(F).F. Look it up.

Dick said:
I think you are misunderstanding the definition of divergence. ∇.F doesn't mean grad(F).F. Look it up.

I will, thanks!

Is it correct to say that it's like taking grad F, then adding up the resulting components for a scalar?

1MileCrash said:
Is it correct to say that it's like taking grad F, then adding up the resulting components for a scalar?

Yes, if F=(Fx,Fy,Fz) then the divergence of F is dFx/dx+dFy/dy+dFz/dz. It's a scalar.

I see my misunderstanding now. The del operator is not the gradient of anything in particular. It's just (d/dx)i + (d/dy)j + (d/dz)k. Dot product that with F leads to the correct definition.

This actually clears up a lot of the past notation. Since del is not a gradient of anything in particular, when we say [itex]\nabla f[/itex], since f is a scalar being multiplied by some vector, del, the result is a vector, which is the gradient of f.

Cool. :)

1MileCrash said:
I see my misunderstanding now. The del operator is not the gradient of anything in particular. It's just (d/dx)i + (d/dy)j + (d/dz)k. Dot product that with F leads to the correct definition.

This actually clears up a lot of the past notation. Since del is not a gradient of anything in particular, when we say [itex]\nabla f[/itex], since f is a scalar being multiplied by some vector, del, the result is a vector, which is the gradient of f.

Cool. :)

You've got it, I think. You just dotting the grad operator with the vector. The result is a scalar.

1. What is the definition of divergence of a vector field?

The divergence of a vector field is a measure of the flow or flux of a vector field at a given point in space. It represents the amount of "outwardness" or "inwardness" of the vector field at that point.

2. How is divergence calculated?

Divergence is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the del operator (∇). This is represented by the formula ∇ · F, where F is the vector field.

3. What does a positive/negative divergence value indicate?

A positive divergence value indicates that the vector field is spreading out from a given point, while a negative divergence value indicates that the vector field is converging towards a given point.

4. What are some real-world applications of divergence of a vector field?

Divergence of a vector field is used in many fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and meteorology. It can be used to analyze the flow of fluids, the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and the movement of air masses in weather patterns.

5. How is divergence related to curl?

Divergence and curl are both measures of vector fields, but they represent different properties. Divergence measures the flow or flux of a vector field, while curl measures the rotation or circularity of a vector field. In some cases, the divergence and curl of a vector field can be used together to fully describe the behavior of the field.